PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Faceted Story

Overlay
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
New Jersey Democratic Governor John Corzine was seriously injured in a car crash while riding as a front-seat passenger in a vehicle driven by a New Jersey state trooper, and not wearing a seat belt as required by New Jersey state law, while on his way to mediate the meeting between Don Imus and the Rutgers University women's basketball team. How many different angles could PA board members take on a story like that?

ljb
04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
A few months back a lady in Florida came home to find her dog fighting with an alligator in the back yard. She got her gun, shot the gator and called animal control.
The lady was ticketed for hunting gators out of season.
Will the guv get ticketed for failure to wear seat belt ?

Greyfox
04-13-2007, 10:37 PM
A few months back a lady in Florida came home to find her dog fighting with an alligator in the back yard. She got her gun, shot the gator and called animal control.
The lady was ticketed for hunting gators out of season.
Will the guv get ticketed for failure to wear seat belt ?

Good stuff ljb.
Gag writers could have a field day on that one.
You should have posted this as a challenge for punch lines.

I'll toss in one:

She's obviously guilty.

"The law states that she should have chosen
"alligator shoos" over a "hushed" puppy .:lol: "

Greyfox
04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
And yes. I have said a prayer for the Governor.

JustRalph
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Corzine's SUV going 91 mph at time of crash
N.J. governor still on ventilator as he recovers from broken bones

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18158503/

Tom
04-17-2007, 06:37 PM
At least he will make a nice public service commercial. Jerk.
As ye sow so shall ye reap!

Overlay
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
And, like I said, it was a New Jersey state trooper driving the SUV! (He better not be the one who stops me for speeding without my seat belt on the next time I visit the Garden State.)

Snag
04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Corzine's SUV going 91 mph at time of crash
N.J. governor still on ventilator as he recovers from broken bones

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18158503/

I find it strange that they can peg the speed at exactly 91 mph. Did they recover the black box?

Pace Cap'n
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
There are several possibilities...

1) Most newer vehicles are equipped with chips that record speed, for warranty and diagnostic purposes. You take your car in and say the engine is shot, they say "Of course, you have been driving it 140 mph with no oil."

2) If it was a state vehicle it could well have been equipped with a GPS transponder which from which a rate of speed could be extrapolated.

3) The speedometer was stuck at 91.

JustRalph
04-17-2007, 08:36 PM
There are several ways to predict the speed. They aren't as high tech as you guys propose. Cops have been doing it long before all these high tech ways were available. I wouldn't be surprised if something along the lines you guys mention turns out to be how they did it, but they don't need any of that stuff. Basic crash investigation could probably do it. If not, the real serious advanced stuff can be employed.

GaryG
04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I doubt he would have done the I man much good.....

JustRalph
04-17-2007, 10:02 PM
"The driver, Trooper Robert Rasinski, could be charged if the state police Motor Vehicular Pursuit Review Board determines the crash was preventable, Superintendent of State Police Col. Rick Fuentes said.

Fuentes said speed was a factor in the accident. A black box inside the SUV recorded the speed of the SUV five seconds before the crash. He said the executive protection unit has the discretion to move through traffic by stepping up their speed and using flashing lights when necessary. "

I would say that this trooper is a little red faced...........

Snag
04-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I also wonder if, during the crash, the wheels came off the ground with the engine racing, would that cause the speed to "race" up to 91?

Greyfox
04-18-2007, 12:14 AM
If that was a State vehicle, there should have been a governor on the pedal. ;)

kenwoodallpromos
04-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I also wonder if, during the crash, the wheels came off the ground with the engine racing, would that cause the speed to "race" up to 91?
Either way they were flying!

Ron
04-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm sick of the police being above the law. There's no reason they needed to go 91 miles an hour with lights flashing to go to a meeting. I saw a cop the other day flash his lights to go through a red light and then pull into a Burger King.

Tom
04-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Worse than that, NYS Troopers habitually drive waaaaay too fast with no lights on. Local sheriffs the same. Ont he NYS Thruway, they cruise.

This dolt from NJ - the trooper should be fired and the Govenor charged with reckless endangerment.

skate
04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
90 mph, too fast.

proof, the driver could not handle the normal situation.

nobody hit the Govs car, so an overcorrection by the driver caused the accident.

i would like to see the DWI test result, just to make a point.

hey, if it was the last Gov., i'd say they were playing pocket ball.

JustRalph
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm sick of the police being above the law. There's no reason they needed to go 91 miles an hour with lights flashing to go to a meeting. I saw a cop the other day flash his lights to go through a red light and then pull into a Burger King.

This is one of my favorite complaints I hear about cops. Please realize that cops get canceled off of calls...........it goes like this

you are enroute to a call, you pop a red light or stop sign and as you are doing it...........you get canceled via radio. You pull off into the next driveway and continue your shift. If that next driveway happens to be a Burger King, everybody who saw you pop the light thinks your the biggest asshole in town................... such is life............

bigmack
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Domestic violence is 2 to 4 times more common in police families than in the general population. In two separate studies, 40% of police officers self-report that they have used violence against their domestic partners within the last year. In the general population, it's estimated that domestic violence occurs in about 10% of families.
In a nationwide survey of 123 police departments, 45% had no specific policy for dealing with officer-involved domestic violence.
In that same survey, the most common discipline imposed for a sustained allegation of domestic violence was counseling. Only 19% of departments indicated that officers would be terminated after a second sustained allegation of domestic violence.
In San Diego, a national model in domestic violence prosecution, the City Attorney typically prosecutes 92% of referred domestic violence cases, but only 42% of cases where the batterer is a cop.

JustRalph
04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Domestic violence is 2 to 4 times more common in police families than in the general population. In two separate studies, 40% of police officers self-report that they have used violence against their domestic partners within the last year. In the general population, it's estimated that domestic violence occurs in about 10% of families.
In a nationwide survey of 123 police departments, 45% had no specific policy for dealing with officer-involved domestic violence.
In that same survey, the most common discipline imposed for a sustained allegation of domestic violence was counseling. Only 19% of departments indicated that officers would be terminated after a second sustained allegation of domestic violence.
In San Diego, a national model in domestic violence prosecution, the City Attorney typically prosecutes 92% of referred domestic violence cases, but only 42% of cases where the batterer is a cop.

and what the hell does that have to do with anything? Wow! You saying something? You accusing me of something? :lol: