PDA

View Full Version : MUSIC

bigmack
04-12-2007, 05:13 PM
It's been said that music is the shorthand of emotion and that it washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. It's a fairly powerful entity.

Sounds like there's a few around here that know their stuff. I have a vast collection and will never be stumped. From classical to Jazz to Rock I have every record ever recorded (almost)

Q to start: Most overrated band of all time? And which version of "Fly Me to the Moon" do you prefer: Sinatra or Bennett?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ban3.gif

ljb
04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I am waiting to hear Sanjay's version on the idol show. :jump:

GaryG
04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Led Zeppelin and Sinatra. Most underrated: Jefferson Airplane.

skate
04-12-2007, 06:01 PM
i never seem to get the 'names of the band', when i dont care for them.

ill never forget the band from Margate NJ, the white house, never got the name and never went back.

Frank or Tony, fine, but im gonna vote for Dean.

bigmack
04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
iFrank or Tony, fine, but im gonna vote for Dean.
Arguably, Frank, Tony and Sammy all had a much better voice than Deano, although I do like his Cha Cha Cha

http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/58fa3a55-2678-46f9-b436-b9f124be82be/PlayList_WHMDWSVVHR.asx

kingfin66
04-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Two overrated bands jump out at me: Duran Duran (80's) and Oasis (90's).

As for the 2nd question, I'll go with The Chairman.

chickenhead
04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
U2 and Frank

kgonzales
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Two overrated bands jump out at me: Duran Duran (80's) and Oasis (90's).

As for the 2nd question, I'll go with The Chairman.

Hey! First concert I ever went to as a kid was Duran Duran at the Forum in LA. Even taught myself keyboards because of them. Though they were extremely popular in their day, I actually think they are underrated and most people regard them as fluffy, 80's boy pop. If you can get past the frilly shirts and make-up, their first couple of albums are quite good, even dark at times.

Definitely agree about Oasis. Another 90's band I never got the hype about was Pearl Jam.
Most Underrated: So many I could name but The Monks for starters. (Oh and goldwater, check the link. :jump: )

Frank all the way.

bigmack
04-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Sinatra's rendition drips of a dinner jacket and a martini, complete with a finger poppin' brass section break that's downright hep. Tony brings out the amore in the song .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rAsoLm1Ges

Oasis was a 2-3 song hit but critics raved about them so much the public began to believe it. Saw Duran2 with Costello in the mid 80's. Hated em them, hate em more now. How obnoxious was "Please please tell me now"?
I bumped into Costello at a hotel - Smart guy, heck of a nice cat. We drank beer at an outdoor cafe and he took it upon himself to clear the table after we finished. I tipped him a quarter :D

I don't know that JeffAir was underrated Gary. They enjoyed pretty good success. I still long to play Embryonic Journey in open tuning. When they became Starship, I had to punch out. "We built this city on R&R"? - dreadful

Zaf
04-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Sinatra :ThmbUp:

Celine Dion :bang:

Z

kenwoodallpromos
04-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Sinatra and The Kinks.

bigmack
04-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Guess the artist. 13 clips. They're instrumental hits. I'll give you the 4th. Dick Dale. $762 to the winner..

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/?action=view&current=811.flv

DJofSD
04-13-2007, 03:41 AM
Sounds like there's a few around here that know their stuff. I have a vast collection and will never be stumped. From classical to Jazz to Rock I have every record ever recorded (almost)

What did Phillip Glass' father do for a living?

bigmack
04-13-2007, 03:58 AM
What did Phillip Glass' father do for a living?
Minimalism, by it's namesake, is a "boxed in" genre. I've adopted a minialistist vantage in my furnishings though musically I find it far too omni directional.

Chums have suggested that Glass embraced the genre as a result of his limited keyboard skills. Who knows.

To answer your Q: A record store owner. I've made a habit of knowing them as they're oftentimes filled with character and laced with flavorful stories.

GaryG
04-13-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't know that JeffAir was underrated Gary. They enjoyed pretty good success. I still long to play Embryonic Journey in open tuning. When they became Starship, I had to punch out. "We built this city on R&R"? - dreadfulI agree about Starship, it was over....way over by then. Jorma has a guitar camp in So. Ohio, Fur Peace Ranch. What a talent! Going to play Baxters right now...In green sun, on blue earth, under warm running showers...

great thread Mac...there are a few of us around.

http://www.furpeaceranch.com/

betchatoo
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Most over rated, The Dave Clark Five. When they started, word was that they did the same type music as the Beatles, only better. I go with Bennett all the way (oops, wrong song). Sinatra had the styling but Tony had the feeling

DanG
04-13-2007, 11:52 PM
It's been said that music is the shorthand of emotion and that it washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. It's a fairly powerful entity.

Q to start: Most overrated band of all time? And which version of "Fly Me to the Moon" do you prefer: Sinatra or Bennett?
Great first sentence and we sure have much in common Mack…

“Overrated”…

Where do I begin in a country that mass-markets 16 year old pole dancers and marginal poets that have drum machines programmed for them?

Now that I have given away my age :p (45), I can address the question.

I’m a poor judge of what’s overrated because my tastes are not even near the mainstream. The music / artists I support often play before crowds of a few hundred and almost all play extensively over seas just to pay the bills.

BTW: Example of “non-mainstream”…I MUCH prefer Jack Bruce’s solo work to Clapton’s. In fact Clapton's solo work is not even in the same league IMHO.

If I had to pick one for over-rated that I have first hand knowledge of its Stevie Nicks. A good friend of mine worked the board at the Power Station in NY many years ago and Stevie was in to cut some vocal tracks. The session was to be about a week and it turned into a couple months.

Forget the fact that she wouldn’t show up etc… (And all that entails.) The woman had no pitch what so ever! You would be amazed at how much studio wizardry it took to tweak her in tune.

This is no knock on the woman personally…I know nothing about her. The question was who’s “overrated” and that doesn’t lend itself to flattery very often…

As far as Frank or Tony…That’s easy…

Let’s ask the Chairman himself…

"Tony Bennett is my favorite singer." ~ Frank Sinatra, 1974 ~

Nuff said…Tony was / is a consummate musician taking nothing away from Mr. Sinatra.

bigmack
04-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Pre-heroin, post-heroin, I never really supported the accolades thrown around about Clapton in either era. His work with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers was decent enough but his solo work never made my socks roll up & down.

Alvin Lee could get a job done nicely. By the by, have you gotten wind of a cat by the name of Danny Gatton? This guy can light up a Telecaster. He does a version of Harlem Nocturne that's beyond sublime. Here's a clip of him hackin' around in a club. The horn arrangement is awful and the vid has some sync problems but you'll get the idea of his accumen. Darn shame he opted to do himself in back in '94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K3o5QmSc8M

DanG
04-14-2007, 01:19 AM
By the by, have you gotten wind of a cat by the name of Danny Gatton? This guy can light up a Telecaster. He does a version of Harlem Nocturne that's beyond sublime. Here's a clip of him hackin' around in a club. The horn arrangement is awful and the vid has some sync problems but you'll get the idea of his accumen. Darn shame he opted to do himself in back in '94
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K3o5QmSc8M
That was wicked!:ThmbUp:

He’s a new one on me.

Thanks Mack!

DJofSD
04-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Hellecasters - 'nuf said. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcpofztr19E)

Shacopate
04-14-2007, 04:16 AM
Mack,

You can't be stumped?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=350016&postcount=14

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=350041&postcount=15

Oops!

wonatthewire1
04-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Overrated for me: Aerosmith

Underrated: Joe Bonamassa & Incubus

Shacopate
04-14-2007, 10:04 AM
BigMack,

Keep these music threads coming!

If you answer this one correctly - you are indeed a mack!

Who played bass in this jam:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/198f462e-25b3-439f-9a4c-01a00adebec5/02---Track-2

DanG
04-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Underrated: Joe Bonamassa
Outstanding! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

A really cool / humble guy to go with it. A friend in Jersey (Ed Gardella of The Broadcasters) knows him and the guy is so unaffected by his status among guitar players it’s remarkable.

DJofSD
04-14-2007, 10:26 AM
The Concertino for Horn by Carl Maria von Weber is unusual for what reason?

wonatthewire1
04-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Bonamassa - is wrapping up the European tour currently.

We're going to see him on LI on 6/1 in Huntington NY

He's closing Saturday night's portion of the Western MD Blues Festival in Hagerstown on 6/2

Dallas on 4/21, etc...

Tour link
http://www.jbonamassa.com/joe_bonamassa_tour_information.htm

bigmack
04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Shac - I haven't the slightest idea of who is playing 4 strings on your esnips. "I will not be stumped" was a bit tongue in cheek

I hate to deride Bonamassa but IMO his technique far outweighs the uniqueness of his voice, the thing that says, "this is me". The beloved Wolfgang Mozart could notate entire operas after listening to them once at an early age. His early works were obviously derived and pastiche it was only until he travelled and escaped the demanding hand of his father that his real voice was heard.

Again, I don't question Bonamassa's techniqe but if you were to A/B it within the complexity of harmonics with other axmen he still feels like an emulator to me. I don't doubt that he could "cop" any tune. I still await the signature of his own style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZS4rMdJN0

Incubus, with all due respect, deserves to be rated just as they are, if not less. Instrumentally they're OK. They need to be reminded, however, that pop music needs a melodic hook.

Nice, DJ. Polyphony derived by humming and playing at the same time, is a technique commonly used in jazz, particularly well done by Wynton Marsalis though not much in pre-1900 classical offerings. I went to play the LP and as I make a habit of putting a note in place of any CD/LP I lend out, it reminded me that the brother of an old girlfriend still has my Weber. Thanks.

Speaking of Marsalis, get a load of this gem as performed with his pops Ellis. The delicateness of the line is magical.
http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/41ce6ec6-7f6c-4533-8607-b6e5f9d766ad/PlayList_SPRWHLOTXI.asx

Bubbles
04-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Disclaimer: I am an 18-year old with the musical tastes of someone three times my age.

Overrated: Oasis, Dashboard Confessional (I urge you older guys who don't know who they are, unless you have a tolerance for voices sounding like nails on blackboards, do NOT listen to this band. How they became big, I don't know)

Underrated: The Moody Blues. Told you ;)

DJofSD
04-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Nice, DJ. Polyphony derived by humming and playing at the same time, is a technique commonly used in jazz, particularly well done by Wynton Marsalis though not much in pre-1900 classical offerings. I went to play the LP and as I make a habit of putting a note in place of any CD/LP I lend out, it reminded me that the brother of an old girlfriend still has my Weber. Thanks.

Damn!

OK, (shooting from the hip) Beethoven was deaf in his later years. How was he able to compose music without being able to hear it?

DanG
04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
I hate to deride Bonamassa but IMO his technique far outweighs the uniqueness of his voice, the thing that says, "this is me". The beloved Wolfgang Mozart could notate entire operas after listening to them once at an early age. His early works were obviously derived and pastiche it was only until he travelled and escaped the demanding hand of his father that his real voice was heard.

Again, I don't question Bonamassa's techniqe but if you were to A/B it within the complexity of harmonics with other axmen he still feels like an emulator to me. I don't doubt that he could "cop" any tune. I still await the signature of his own style.

BigMack…We agree to disagree on this one…

That’s another great thing about music. There is no absolute concerning opinions. I could pick Bonamassa from a crowd of 100 blues guitarist, but that doesn’t mean anything if it’s not the case with you.

I would like a nickel for ever time I’ve heard…

SRV is “trying” to be Hendrix.

Carter Beauford is trying to be Dennis Chambers.

One of 8 million fretless bass players is emulating Pastorius.

One of 8 million funk bass players is emulating Stanley Clarke.
Great technicians / virtuoso’s aren’t necessarily great composers. The same is true in reverse. Rare is the musicians ala Steve Morse who can write “Night Meets Light” and win guitar player of the year so often he’s no longer eligible.

So many people pick up a guitar; I feel a little cringe when the really good players are often put under the microscope. If you enjoy blues / rock and especially if you have played guitar seeing Joe B. is a real treat IMO.

bigmack
04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Damn!

OK, (shooting from the hip) Beethoven was deaf in his later years. How was he able to compose music without being able to hear it?
While some misguided sorts might tell you that he cut off the legs of his piano to feel the vibration on the floor, I hardly doubt that Ludwig need to actually hear a C# to know what it sounded like. Scores, viewed by gifted musicians, can come to life even without the definition of its actual performance, sometimes even more so.

DJofSD
04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Double damn, bigmack! I thought perhaps I'd lay a trap but you saw through it.

OK. I'll have to cognitate a while before I come up with another challenge.

Good show!

GaryG
04-14-2007, 05:35 PM
While some misguided sorts might tell you that he cut off the legs of his piano to feel the vibration on the floor, I hardly doubt that Ludwig need to actually hear a C# to know what it sounded like. Scores, viewed by gifted musicians, can come to life even without the definition of its actual performance, sometimes even more so.I think it is a mathematical thing to those who are truly gifted. I'll bet Brian Wilson is one of them. He was using 9th notes fom the beginning.

shanta
04-14-2007, 07:47 PM

1) Most overrated - The Doors

2) Anthony Benedetto without question.

Richie

GaryG
04-14-2007, 08:03 PM

2) Anthony Benedetto without question.

RichieRichie, say it ain't so! I spent many stoned afternoons and evenings listening to The End.

bigmack
04-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Strap into a vintage ragtop sometime, load it up with Doors CD's, drive 400+ miles and see if you still think they're overrated.

Back to the "Fly Me to the Cheese" saga... Keep in mind, Frank omitted the entire intro portion. Of course, the only other version worthy of being considered in the mix is Nat Coles.

Nat Cole
http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/5eb08f00-3950-469a-a89e-17f8ac07e949/PlayList_MPMSFVAMHC.asx

Tony Benedetto
http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/5eb08f00-3950-469a-a89e-17f8ac07e949/PlayList_PRCKJYFXRL.asx

I think in the end, my vote goes to Benedetto.

shanta
04-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Richie, say it ain't so! I spent many stoned afternoons and evenings listening to The End.

Hey G!
YES it's so man. They are horrible. I could NEVER understand the popularity.

Stoned afternoons and evenings you say? lmao. me and a bud back in the late 70's (I'm 46) took these peyote pills and went to see Aerosmith live in this small club in Port Chester.

I don't remember a freaking thing about the concert but DO remember waking up the next morning on the grass in the middle of nowhere with this FINE butt ass naked chcik lying next to me. Problem was I didn't remember a bloody thing about THAT either :eek:

sonofabitch I shoulda married that one G! On a scale of 1-10 her ass was a 15. Natural blond hair everywhere and ,,,,,,, Oh Lord

The depths of my insanity amaze even me and I've known myself since I was very young

Ok flashback over. back to the Doors
THEY STUNK
:faint:

Tom
04-15-2007, 12:33 AM
The DOORS = :jump:

One of the best bands ever to plug in, shoot up, and crank out! :lol:

More long necks and shots were chugged to Roadhouse Blues than any other record.
(Except maybe These Eyes, which came wtih every juke box.

My favorie story - after disobeying Ed Sullivan and singing the word higher live on his show, they were told they would never play the Sullivan show again. Morrison's rely - We've already done the Sullivan show.

bigmack
04-15-2007, 12:54 AM
The DOORS = :jump:

One of the best bands ever to plug in, shoot up, and crank out! :lol:

More long necks and shots were chugged to Roadhouse Blues than any other record.
(Except maybe These Eyes, which came wtih every juke box.
You said it T:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxIWBITQ6A

These Eyes by The Guess Who: That intro that went ba daaa- da da da da daaa, for every gal in the joint that was their slow dance time to which we would sheepishly agree. (& then you had to look at em square in the eyes throughout the song) Oh Brother!

Red Knave
04-15-2007, 10:17 AM
(& then you had to look at em square in the eyes throughout the song) Oh Brother!Bachman actually wrote the song as 'These Arms'. Cummings straightened out the verses and ba-da-bing an international hit from the Canadian supergroup.
Oh, in answer to your original post
-Meatloaf (I know he's not really a band but ...)
-Bennett

melman
04-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Bigmack

I would like your views on my favorite singer of all time the great Judy Garland. Nat Cole for me was a close second.

Also for "underrated" I think both Bobby Darin and Roy Orbison.

betchatoo
04-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Bigmack

I would like your views on my favorite singer of all time the great Judy Garland. Nat Cole for me was a close second.

Also for "underrated" I think both Bobby Darin and Roy Orbison.
IMO Judy could make you feel a lyric like nobody else and rates very high on my all time list (Ella is my top vocalist of all time). I got to see Judy in concert and it was a remarkable event. Nat rates at the top of my male vocalists.

As for underrated (or maybe unknown) bands, does anybody else know or like a New Orleans group called The Iguanas?

bigmack
04-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I would like your views on my favorite singer of all time the great Judy Garland.
While the pinning down of a specific genre of music is foolhardy in most cases, it's most fitting to slide Judy in the "Caberet" class. Her ability to theatrically draw out a song with her interpretation was her most gifted aspect.

Depending on her age at the time of the recording, she had that way of making it appear that she was actually inside the song she was singing and made the listener see and feel all that song spoke of. Not an easy feat, though one many singers could learn from. Her use of vibrato became almost uncontrolled towards the end of her career but it was her nuance early on.

Here's a clip of Embraceable You:
http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/7f0712b7-f48e-4880-a907-f85494c00eb4/PlayList_WFJSVPYCXO.asx

chickenhead
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
it aint a music thread if hes not here...

I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God. -- Johnny Cash

chickenhead
04-15-2007, 11:28 PM
My favorite male singer is probably Otis Redding. I don't know a whole lot about music, but I know that man could sing a damn song for all it's worth. I challenge anyone to listen to Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa or I Can't Turn You Loose without moving. Songs like Lover's Prayer, These Arms of Mine, Try a Little Tenderness...beautiful.

Only wish he'd been around a little longer.

bigmack
04-16-2007, 12:09 AM
My favorite male singer is probably Otis Redding.
The maturity of his voice always made me wonder if they had his age wrong when it was said after he was found dead in that lake in Madison WI that he was a mere 26. By his voice, I would have guessed him to be all of 40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4PDj3IkC04

It's the same way I felt about Eddie Cochran (Summertime Blues, Come On Everybody & She's Somethin' Else) He was only 21 when he passed.
http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/2c38dccf-79e8-49ac-8e0b-ae263c48f6e8/PlayList_CSGWIDSSAB.asx

Odd story of Cochran who died in an accident in London. The kid who carried Eddie's guitar into the cab was Marc Bolan a fan of his at the time who many years latter became the guitarist for T Rex and also died in a car accident. After Eddies death they impounded the same guitar and while working at the Police Station Dave Dee of the band Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, taught himself to play with Eddie's impounded Gretsch.

Hosshead
04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by shanta

Richie, say it ain't so! ...IT AIN'T SO !!!

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away......
I went to see The Doors at The Forum. (across from Hollypark)

You'll never guess who the opening act was.
Jerry Lee Lewis.
What a combination !! = Bad combination !

I bet you can guess who 99.9999% of the crowd came to see.
You got it. - THE DOORS. (I reserved a small % for Jerry's manager)

Anyway, Jerry was taking his sweet time, going through his act, in front of this sell-out crowd.
Well he took a little too long. ... In the middle of a cryin' in your beer song, the crowd starting chanting for The Doors.

This pissed Jerry off to no end. So he stops in the middle of the song.
He grabs the mike and climbs up on top of the piano, where he starts yelling to the crowd that they will NOT see The Doors until they shut up, and he finishes his act.

So do you think a Doors crowd (in that era) is going to sit there and be told to shut up while listening to country music?
It was like a scene written for a movie. Remember the Blues Brothers movie, where they're singing (at Bob's Country Bunker) behind a cage, and everybody starts throwing stuff at them?

Well, little ol' Jerry Lee wasn't blessed with a cage !

I mean Jerry Lee might as well have lit a stick of dynamite.
People started to riot.
See, probably 90% of the people had brought a lighter with them, they were going to light when The Doors played "Light My Fire".
So what did they do? They started lighting fires of course.

But they knew that if they burned the place down, they wouldn't get to see The Doors. So after Jerry left the stage, all fires were put out. Then they lit what they brought to smoke,.. and everything was fine.

I finally got to hear "Crystal Ship".

DJofSD
04-16-2007, 10:33 AM
I went to see The Doors at The Forum. (across from Hollypark)

Sitting in the rafters could get you a cheap high.