PDA

View Full Version : When will TrackNet sign up ADW's?

NoCal Boy
04-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I use Youbet, but no word yet on the Churchill signal. I have not seen any contracts yet between TrackNet and other ADW's.

Ron
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Will brisbet carry Churchill? I'm looking for an alternative to youbet. They're not even carrying the future pools.

schweitz
04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Will brisbet carry Churchill? I'm looking for an alternative to youbet. They're not even carrying the future pools.

It's on their schedule.

highnote
04-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Why is TrackNet delaying signing up ADWs?

If people can't bet Churchill and Magna tracks won't the horsemen be the ones who suffer? Not to mention CDI and MEC shareholders.

I can always find a track to bet. I don't give a damn what track I bet on. I can adjust.

I just don't understand the delay. The contracts with ADWs should have been signed well in advance of the TrackNet launch.

Smells like Anti-trust to me. It seems like CDI and MEC are conspiring to fix prices and keep out competitors.

I could be wrong. But this is my impression from what I have read here on PA.

I'll do some more research before I shoot off my mouth about Anti-trust. :D

highnote
04-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Why is TrackNet delaying signing up ADWs?

If people can't bet Churchill and Magna tracks won't the horsemen be the ones who suffer? Not to mention CDI and MEC shareholders.

I can always find a track to bet. I don't give a damn what track I bet on. I can adjust.

I just don't understand the delay. The contracts with ADWs should have been signed well in advance of the TrackNet launch.

Smells like Anti-trust to me. It seems like CDI and MEC are conspiring to fix prices and keep out competitors.

I could be wrong. But this is my impression from what I have read here on PA.

I'll do some more research before I shoot off my mouth about Anti-trust. :D

I stand corrected:

Premier Turf Club...any comments?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was excerpted from the Louisville Courier-Journal this morning:

>>>Churchill and Magna said their goal with the marketing company, TrackNet Media Group, is to have their races bet on through as many different account-wagering and simulcasting providers as feasible. Previously, Churchill has relied on TVG, which tries to control the number of distribution outlets.
Exclusive arrangements have made it difficult for customers to bet on races, Neuman said. "To make customers buy more, you have to make yourself easy to buy from," he said.<<<

According to this quote it sounds like MEC / CDI want to sign up as many ADWS as possible.

Now, lI'll wait and see how long this takes to make this happen. Soon, I hope. Derby is only 3 weeks away.

trigger
04-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I'll bet the 'delay" is all about the price of the signal. ADW's, OTBs, etc. are probably experiencing price shock as TrackNet tries to turn around the current upside down pricing structure.
There will probably be some kind of compromise favoring the ADW's,etc. this time around but the advantage will change if TrackNet is successful in recruiting other premium tracks in the future.
Don't see any anti trust implications in this approach.....TVG has been doing it for years.

NoCal Boy
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I will not elaborate at this time, but there would be legitimate antitrust concerns. There is a big difference between TVG buying the signals from third party tracks and then distributing these signals, and TrackNet distributing their own signals (CDI and Magna signals) while operating their own ADW's. If there was not 8 years or so of past history then it could be different. Butthe cat is out of the bag now so TrackNet has to be very careful on pricing.

Youbet is the best example. The broadest distribution in the business and now they are the first to sign up for the wagering integrity software from RCI. Per Tracknet's public statements, it should be a slam dunk for Youbet to obtain the signals. It will very likely happen, but nothinghas been announced yet.

highnote
04-15-2007, 12:09 AM
It sounds like CDIMEC are acting like a cartel.

It also sounds like they might be trying to force (convince?) smaller tracks to keep rates high lest they risk losing the ability to exchange signals reciprocally. If that is the case that would be price-fixing. So I doubt that would happen. But if it did, what else could it be called.

Seems like they have to tread carefully here.

Do you think the Justice Department is watching this situation? What about the SEC? Aren't CDI and MEC publicly traded companies?

Can you imagine what would happen if CDIMEC actually won the NYRA franchise? That would be a complete disaster.

I used to be for it, but now, am not so sure.

I prefer competition between many rather than a monopoly.

Bad as NYOTB is, at least they make NYRA's rates look pretty good.

trigger
04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Actually, based on a review of their published plans, it looks like TrackNet will negotiate and distribute CDI/MEC content to other tracks, ADW's,OTB's, etc and also negotiate and buy other track's content for distribution on the ExpressBet and twinspires.com (along with MEC/CDI content). That is, it appears that TrackNet is not planning to buy a third party's exclusive signal and then resell it to other distribution channels. Also, I read somewhere that TrackNet would entertain negotiating with TVG to include TVG's exclusive tracks in the ExpressBet and twinspires.com lineup.
In other words, they appear to be aiming at becoming a full fledged ADW over time in direct competition with other established ADW's. Such competition should benefit the horse players in the long run as content will probably be universal (especially once TVG exclusivity peters out) and the web site attributes and deals of the various ADW's will be centered on getting and keeping customers.

trigger
04-17-2007, 04:35 PM
According to this article, TrackNetMedia plans to resell other tracks' content not just MEC/CDI content. I guess we'll have to see how things actually develop along with the Horsemen, Tracks, etal.

http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=38474
"TrackNet Media Group, which has been described as a “content mall” for simulcast signals, was set up in early March to be a non-profit that will take a “miniscule” percentage of handle to cover costs, CDI president Bob Evans told The Blood-Horse in March. It will sell signals for other tracks and not permit sub-licensing by entities that purchase them.
Officials with racetracks and horsemen’s groups have been reluctant to comment publicly on TrackNet Media Group but privately indicated concerns CDI and MEC are attempting to control the market. Evans and MEC CEO Michael Neuman have said they hope to encourage competition, not stifle it."

rrbauer
04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
It sounds like CDIMEC are acting like a cartel.

Seems like they have to tread carefully here.

Do you think the Justice Department is watching this situation? What about the SEC? Aren't CDI and MEC publicly traded companies?

Bought any gas lately?

candystripes
04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Looks like the folks at Churchill/Magna have signed with the America Tab affiliates (Brisbet and company) first.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070418/1449027.html?.v=1