PDA

View Full Version : Weird differentiation at Woodbine

Cangamble
04-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I just wrote this on my blog, but it is worth repeating in case someone is interested:

WEIRD TRACK VARIANTS AT WOODBINE
Not too sure what is going on at Woodbine with regards to the times of the races.
Either the 6 and a half and seven furlong races are 6 to 7 lengths faster than they
should be, or the 5 furlong races and 6 to 7 lengths slower. I've been doing my own
track variants now for close to 30 years, and there was something definitely different the past weekend.
The only time that I've seen this kind of weird behavior regarding times, is when there is a strong wind. Based on what I know, the problem is with the 5 furlong races. It is doubtful that the track between the 5 furlong marker and the 7 furlong chute is a paved super highway, while the rest of the track is playing slow.
Are the 5 furlong races actually about 5 furlongs this year? Are they starting the timer earlier this year?, because usually there is a running start before the timer actually starts, maybe the timer is starting when the gate opens. I could investigate this further by watching some replays at Cal Racing (http://www.calracing.com/replays.php), comparing last year to this year.
Last year, when the Polytrack was installed, there were two slow days, with my 5 furlong variants being 9 and 10 fast (using my variant system). Most days, the average variant was around 16 fast for 5 furlongs.
To date, this year, the 5 furlong races have been between 5 and 9 fast, while the 6 and a half furlong races
are on par with the variants I had for last year, maybe 1 or 2 points slower on average tops.

Tom
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Have you made new par times based on the poly surface?
The sample size is not that large yet, so maybe it will shake out.

Cangamble
04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
The par times I have didn't change much due to the polytrack. We had a pretty good sample from last year....Sept 1st to December 10th. There is something definitely off with the differential over the last 3 days. I'm sure of it.

john del riccio
04-10-2007, 04:24 AM
I just wrote this on my blog, but it is worth repeating in case someone is interested:

WEIRD TRACK VARIANTS AT WOODBINE
Not too sure what is going on at Woodbine with regards to the times of the races.
Either the 6 and a half and seven furlong races are 6 to 7 lengths faster than they
should be, or the 5 furlong races and 6 to 7 lengths slower. I've been doing my own
track variants now for close to 30 years, and there was something definitely different the past weekend.
The only time that I've seen this kind of weird behavior regarding times, is when there is a strong wind. Based on what I know, the problem is with the 5 furlong races. It is doubtful that the track between the 5 furlong marker and the 7 furlong chute is a paved super highway, while the rest of the track is playing slow.
Are the 5 furlong races actually about 5 furlongs this year? Are they starting the timer earlier this year?, because usually there is a running start before the timer actually starts, maybe the timer is starting when the gate opens. I could investigate this further by watching some replays at Cal Racing (http://www.calracing.com/replays.php), comparing last year to this year.
Last year, when the Polytrack was installed, there were two slow days, with my 5 furlong variants being 9 and 10 fast (using my variant system). Most days, the average variant was around 16 fast for 5 furlongs.
To date, this year, the 5 furlong races have been between 5 and 9 fast, while the 6 and a half furlong races
are on par with the variants I had for last year, maybe 1 or 2 points slower on average tops.

You are right. The run-ups are the culprit. Nothing is more trusted then experience. With that said, that 50k claimer going 5f over the weekend was
closer to a 5k claimer than 50k.

John

Cangamble
04-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I watched about 6 races races yesterday at Cal Racing. The three from this year all started around 3 lengths before the 5/8 pole, 2 of the 3 last year started like that, but one started around 4 and a half lengths before the pole.
Unfortunately, the teletimer doesn't show up, so I have no way of knowing when it begins. I may have to find a stop watch to investigate this further.

Red Knave
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
It was windy, especially on Friday.

Cangamble
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
It was windy, especially on Friday.
It really takes 30 mph down the backstretch for a wind to really affect a variant. And I don't think it was that windy those 3 days, nor does it make up for a 7 length disparity. It is something else, but I need to get my hands on a stop watch.