PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of D Wayne Lukas ....

BeatTheChalk
04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Umm .. come to think of it ....Not much about him at all. I noted that he
has 15 winners this year out of around 90 mounts. And nothing in the
headlines about a Derby Horse. Ebbs and Flows :bang:

kenwoodallpromos
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I think he stopped having favs at the major stakes about the time he said he stopped buying young horse at auction that too big because they might be on steroids.

kenwoodallpromos
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
"http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFD7113FF936A25754C0A9669582 60&sec=health&spon=&pagewanted=2"

Quote from D. Wayne Lukas:
"D. Wayne Lukas, the nation's leading trainer for the last seven years and the leading domestic buyer of yearlings, said he believed that some yearlings are given steroids and that buyers must beware.

''It is, in some cases, a problem,'' said Mr. Lukas, who purchased 15 yearlings for $6.72 million at last year's Keeneland Select Sales. ''I've been fortunate personally because I've been in sales rings since I was 11 years old and I've made a career of buying yearlings. I'm sharper at this than most people. But there are a lot of people at the sales who aren't going to see things that I can. I want a yearling who looks like a yearling, not like a big 3-year-old.

''I would be in favor of testing yearlings. The breeders have always expected us to pay top dollar and take what you get. I'm in favor of anything that would build confidence in buyers, and I don't know that the consignors can survive without that confidence.''

misscashalot
04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
"http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFD7113FF936A25754C0A9669582 60&sec=health&spon=&pagewanted=2"

Quote from D. Wayne Lukas:
"D. Wayne Lukas, the nation's leading trainer for the last seven years and the leading domestic buyer of yearlings, said he believed that some yearlings are given steroids and that buyers must beware.

''It is, in some cases, a problem,'' said Mr. Lukas, who purchased 15 yearlings for $6.72 million at last year's Keeneland Select Sales. ''I've been fortunate personally because I've been in sales rings since I was 11 years old and I've made a career of buying yearlings. I'm sharper at this than most people. But there are a lot of people at the sales who aren't going to see things that I can. I want a yearling who looks like a yearling, not like a big 3-year-old.

''I would be in favor of testing yearlings. The breeders have always expected us to pay top dollar and take what you get. I'm in favor of anything that would build confidence in buyers, and I don't know that the consignors can survive without that confidence.''

Yeah and I guess that when Young died so did the opportunies.

Edward DeVere
04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I expect an improved effort from Flying First Class in the Arkansas Derby this Saturday.

Based on past history, if this horse finishes 1-2-3, Lukas will probably enter him in the Kentucky Derby.

Snow Chief
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I think its more accurate to say that "if the horse finishes, Lukas will run him in the Ky. Derby."