PDA

View Full Version : New Site

karlskorner
11-19-2002, 08:43 AM
www.turfday.com/

Lots of "stats" on horses, trainers, jockeys,trainer/jockey,sires, post/pace.

You have to register, free for now

cj
12-04-2002, 11:40 AM
I know this thread is old, but I just got around to checking it out. What an incredible amount of free information. I can't believe this will stay free, but I would even pay a small monthly fee if it gets changed. Serious handicappers should really check out the sire, dam, and post info in my opinion.

CJ

rrbauer
12-05-2002, 07:45 PM
Bob Selvin is behind this. (National Turf touts, 900-number-touts, Handicapper's Report, Best Bets, Clocker's Report, yada, yada, yada.)

Selvin has milked more horseplayers than Hershey's has milked cows!

As soon as I read the copy that explains the BVA I said to myself this sounds like Bob Selvin hype. Garden-variety horse racing stats with a gimmick that has no practical application. The west coast's answer to Mike Warren.

Could you do better if you had access to the DRF database?

I sure as hell could!

CapperLou
12-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Richard:

Thanks for the head's up on this site.

CapperLou

cj
12-05-2002, 11:11 PM
I couldn't care less about the BVAs, I was talking post position and sire stats. Can't find this stuff anywhere else for free to the best of my knowledge. Like I said, I'd pay a SMALL monthly fee. Curious to see what they charge.

CJ

andicap
12-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Is Selvin's old site still around? He was a huge hype-meister for that thing.

But he did have Jeff Siegal connected with it, Richard. I thought Siegal had a good rep on the West Coast?

karlskorner
12-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Putting aside everyone's personal thoughts on Bob Selvin and what ever he is trying to hustle and ignoring his BVA's, if the statistics are truly DRF's then I don't know anywhere on the Net that you can get this kind of information FREE.

For those interested in "statistics" and don't have any of there own, it's a gold mine

cj
12-06-2002, 10:20 AM
That was my point too Karl! At least wait until its not free to complain or rip it!

CJ

rrbauer
12-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Andicap wrote:
Is Selvin's old site still around? He was a huge hype-meister for that thing.

But he did have Jeff Siegal connected with it, Richard. I thought Siegal had a good rep on the West Coast?

Comment:
Selvin's old site is National turf....still there....same old stuff.

Jeff Siegel and Selvin go back to their days together at a junior college in LA. At one time they were partners in the Handicapper's Report venture. Selvin has always had to use "window dressing" of one form or another to lend credibility to his ventures. Now, it's the DRF.

As to you folks who think that the stats are so great, just think how great they would be if the BVA crap were removed and the presentation and ordering of data was in more conventional form that most horseplayers can understand and relate to. After you wade through the stuff for awhile let me know how much money you've made from it. Hell, I could be wrong!

cj
12-06-2002, 05:04 PM
rrbauer,

Again, where can you find sire stats for free like those shown on the site? They even have track specific ones. Also, I have never been able to find Post Position stats broken down by track, field size, and exact distance like these even for a fee, let alone for nothing. I don't see how this wouldn't be useful. What am I missing here?

CJ:eek:

karlskorner
12-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Richard;

Just before I left for the track this morning and after I wrote the above, I went to the site and looked up trainer Danny Hurtak in the first race (CRC), to see what jockeys were doing well with him. Although Two Sharky Betty was the odds on favorite and you had to like the horse, I also liked Royal Mecke (Hurtak's horse). Trainer/Jockey report showed Rosemary Homeister as his most profitable rider and she was riding today. Paid $10.40.

Seems everybody but me, knows something about the sponsor, I could care less, as long as his site is free and I can seperate the good from the bad, unfortunately I don't have the time to sift through each Trainer/Jockey page.

andicap
12-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Not to complain, BUT, one downside of the post/pace report I just saw is they are only for the past 365 days, they don't delineate between off-tracks and fast tracks.
Tracks often run different in short-term bursts. Give me an option to check the past week or the past month or meet to date or the last few days. Give me off-track and fast track options.
I guess you can get some overall general tendencies for a track with this, but overall it's kind of useless for any real handicapping IMHO. others may feel different.
That's the only report I've scanned so far.

rrbauer
12-06-2002, 05:51 PM
cj
What exactly about the sire stats is turning you on? The avg odds per starter/winner? There are many other factors that come into play where the odds come into question besides who the daddy is. Do you like the fact that it's ordered by BVA? How about alphabetical to make it easy to look something up? Everything else in the sire stats is available from other sources plus additional info that TD doesn't cover--IMHO.

As far as post position stats, for the SoCal circuit check out a copy of Today's Racing Digest (www.todaysracingdigest.com) on the day that they publish their post position stats, but if you follow that circuit you will learn very quickly what the good posts are at the various distances/surfaces. And, given that, you can spot a bias creeping in very quickly.

So from my perspective there's no value added given where I play and the stuff that I already have available to me. And, when I factor in who is promoting the site then I know who the site is designed to make money for; and, that is not me (or my horseplaying peers).

But, frankly, I'm doing nothing other than providing some background based on my experience in the game. I promise you that my information is credible and that I'm not trying to sell you anything. So take it or reject it....no hard feelings either way!

cj
12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
rrbauer,

No hard feelings either. I primarily use DRF Formulator, so things as simple as 1st out winning pct for the sire are not available to me FREE anywhere else. I know I could buy BRIS, but I don't like the rest of there format. This has really come in handy for the Freshman sires this year and because it is relatively recent data as opposed to buying sire stats or something similiar at the beginning of the year.

I already know about the Today's Racing Digest, but I play NYRA, SoCal, and a few others occasionally, so the data is unavailable for the other circuits. Like I said, as long as its free, I can't really complain.

Not sure why DRF isn't giving out this info themselves!

Marc at DRF, any ideas?

CJ

rrbauer
12-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Blood Horse is good for Freshman Sires and Sophomore Sires and Junior Sires!

Zaf
12-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Give the guy a break, he's posting free info that may be useful to some.

ZAFONIC