PDA

View Full Version : Beatles or Stones?

bigmack
04-07-2007, 04:46 PM
You have the complete works of both. One will be smashed into smithereens, the other you keep.

Who do you keep?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/bs.jpg

Tom
04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
I'd hide the Beatles albums and then fight the guy for the Stones. :eek:

Speaking of old rock groups, the Kinks and the Stones......sounds like my last physical! :lol:

Overlay
04-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I give the Stones credit for their longevity, but from the standpoint of the amount of each group's music that I could listen to over and over again without ever getting tired of it, I'd take the Beatles every time.

chickenhead
04-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Stones by a head bob. Their earlier stuff is just that good.

GaryG
04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Stones....Moonlight Mile never gets old :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
04-07-2007, 05:38 PM
tough call........... but the Stones pull it out by a nostril.

Sgt. Peppers or Some Girls........... better question..........

Shacopate
04-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Scratch 'em both and give me Pink Floyd from the also eligible list.

bigmack
04-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Sgt. Peppers or Some Girls........... better question..........
Very interesting JR. I've tallyed up Some Girls from an experts opinion (mine), let's see how the Sgt performs next.

1. Miss You (Dynamite bass line, great sax solo, strong melody) 8
2. When The Whip Comes Down (Straight ahead rock tune that overplays the hook) 4
3. Just My Imagination (Cover. Avg job covering a good song. 3
4. Some Girls (Bluesy vibe with my favorite subject, women) 6
5. Lies (I am not a big fan of the tune but can understand how others might be) 5
6. Far Away Eyes (Country licks from the Stones complete with peddle steel, never worked for me) 5
7. Respectable (A Stones song done the Stones way) 8
8. Before They Make Me Run (Richards singing) 3
9. Beast Of Burden (Nice riff work by Richards and lyrically we've all been there) 8
10. Shattered (The mess of NY City at the time wrapped up in tidy pop song. Best song on the LP) 10

60 / 10 tracks = Avg score of 6 per track

banacek
04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Beatles by 2 lengths. (Hey even Mick sings on "All You Need is Love").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z05zPJKasDw

But you'd have to kill me to get either collection.

bigmack
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (The pure genious of George Martin in the production of a decent tune, even though I always found the hook a bit "sing songie") 10
2. With A Little Help From My Friends (Sure Ringo is singing it but it ain't as bad as Richards singing. The sentiment of the lyrics are still found in office conversations around the world) 8
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (The acid driven lyrics are a snapshot of the times. Chorus is rich in content) 9
4. Getting Better (I always felt they should have left out the back-up vocals early on in the song as their falsetto becomes bothersome) 6
5. Fixing A Hole (Abandoning a tradidional piano background they go with a harpsichord. So-so choice for me.) 5
6. She's Leaving Home (Opening with a brilliant harp arpeggio and moving forward with a delightful string quartet its melody is positively infectious) 9
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (Lennon with a "carni" like orchestration including one of my favorite instruments the bass harmonica) 4
8. Within You Without You (George doing his Ravi Shankar business) 4
9. When I'm Sixty-Four (Entirely McCartney) 8
10. Lovely Rita (Weakest song on the LP. I dated a meter maid for a few days though so it has some merit) 4
11. Good Morning Good Morning (Lennon driven mess. Do like the eq setting on the horns though) 3
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Not really an individual song, will exclude)
13. A Day In The Life (Quite possibly one of best produced rock songs of all time, excluding Floyd. This song is a work of art) 10

80 / 12 tracks = Ave score of 6.67 per track

Beatles win that round

michiken
04-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I vote for 'None of the Above' Why no Zeppelin?

Tom
04-07-2007, 07:15 PM
No comparison.
Doors would come in ahead of the Hindenburg Boys.:lol:

The Zepplin released most of thier good stuff as the Yardbirds. LZ was YB light. You just can't have your lead singer way up there, not even if you are AC/DC. :bang:

banacek
04-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I vote for 'None of the Above' Why no Zeppelin?

Hey it's a match race. If you are picking between Ginger or Mary Ann, then don't say where's Jeannie and Samantha!

DJofSD
04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
tough call........... but the Stones pull it out by a nostril.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that was a quotation from Keith Richards. :D

bigmack
04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey it's a match race. If you are picking between Ginger or Mary Ann
Since you mentioned it, Mary Ann by 31

banacek
04-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Since you mentioned it, Mary Ann by 31

long-term relationship - I agree. Short term - Ginger

bigmack
04-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Short term is my forte and I'd still go MA

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/3gi09.jpg

chickenhead
04-07-2007, 07:47 PM
:ThmbUp:

Miss Nevada, 1959.

Dave Schwartz
04-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey it's a match race. If you are picking between Ginger or Mary Ann, then don't say where's Jeannie and Samantha!

Banacek,

Are we all of the same age or what?

Dave

Tom
04-07-2007, 09:15 PM
MA is ok, but Mrs. Howell is loaded!

Zaf
04-08-2007, 01:23 AM
MA is ok, but Mrs. Howell is loaded!

:lol:

Z

Zaf
04-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Stones over Beatles by a nose, but I'll take Pink Floyd over both of them. I am talking the pre 1975 stuff :cool:

Z

kingfin66
04-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Stones in a landslide. The Beatles were awesome too, but I'll take Mick, Keith, etal. Heck, just give my Let It Bleed and I'll be happy. A lot of people think Exile on Main Street is their best, but I'll take the country honk on 'Bleed. There's only 9 songs on the album, but they are all incredible, especially Gimme Shelter. That was perhaps the greatest anti-war song of all time. It also remains a great live song for the Stones as they can trot out one of their talented back up singers to do the duet with Jagger.

Is it me, or does it seem strange that none of the Stones has died since Brian Jones, while the Beatles have lost both Lennon and Harrison? I mean, Keith says that he snorted his father's ashes! It doesn't get much more messed up than that.

Bathless
04-08-2007, 08:38 AM
AC/DC.

I've grown. And I have rather BIG BALLS, if I do say so myself.

Still listen to MISS YOU just about every day, though.

shanta
04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Stones are the greatest rock and roll band in the world. In front by half a pole
:)

Greatest solo artist ever . ELVIS by an entire stretch.

Richie

"Rockabilly music is the bomb man".

Bathless
04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Actually, Elvis was a modestly talented individual. His gift was that he had more charisma than anyone since Jesus.

Tom
04-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Kingfin...I would not want to have to prove in a court of law that Kieth Richards is still alive! :eek:

DanG
04-08-2007, 10:36 AM
To be honest I don’t think there very comparable. In terms of their generation, bloodlines and popularity, but musically they came from different places.

The Beatles were true craftsman in song writing and when they teamed up with George Martin they changed popular song writing for the next 100 years. They blended classical voicings and arrangements like few mainstream artists ever did.

The Stones were the classic dirty blues sound that influenced them from America. They rarely deviated from that (that’s not a knock.) and really perfected it over the years.

The Stones have a huge live legacy, where the Beatles mark was made in the studio.

As a fellow bass player McCartney’s bass lines are very unusual and tricky to figure out as they were often written for piano. The Stones music is very straight forward and relies on feel to reproduce.

Both have certainly stood the test of time…

BTW: Quick opportunity to tell my “Mary Ann” story…

I’m at Derby Lane is ST. Petersburg a few years back and who is at the table next to me…Mary Ann…(Dawn Wells)…She looked terrific and we struck up a conversation for about 20 minutes. Just a great person who was really cool with all the people coming up to her for autographs etc…

OK…Finally I get to use my “brush with greatest”…Dawn Wells…Love her. :ThmbUp:

Tom
04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Trivia: When the Beatles first appeaered, who was the band that everyone said was thier biggest rival for popularity in Britain? It wasn't the Stones.

shanta
04-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Trivia: When the Beatles first appeaered, who was the band that everyone said was thier biggest rival for popularity in Britain? It wasn't the Stones.

Was it the Kinks Tom or did they come after?

Bathless
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Dave Clark Five ? Or were they Aussies ?

Bathless
04-08-2007, 11:09 AM
During the 60s (don't ask me the year -- they were blurred), the Stones came to Asbury Park for two shows at Convention Hall. I went to the early show. My ticket cost me somewhere between $2 to $3.

As soon as the group took the stage, the fans went nuts and the entire crowd started pushing up close. The Stones didn't even make it through their first number. They walked off and also cancelled the late show. I didn't blame them. It was a pretty bad scene.

I don't know if there were refunds -- I never got one. But I still think I got my $2 worth.

banacek
04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
The Beatles were true craftsman in song writing and when they teamed up with George Martin they changed popular song writing for the next 100 years. They blended classical voicings and arrangements like few mainstream artists ever did.

The Stones were the classic dirty blues sound that influenced them from America. They rarely deviated from that (that’s not a knock.) and really perfected it over the years.

The Stones have a huge live legacy, where the Beatles mark was made in the studio.

That's a great take on it, Dan. I remember a documentary on the Beatles where they had this 85 year old musicologist talking about the Beatles. He's playing bits from different songs and he was so excited. "Nobody has ever done that", "The last time someone did that was Bach in ....".

Pace Cap'n
04-08-2007, 11:23 AM

DC 5 or maybe Herman's Hermits?

slotterhaus
04-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Gerry and The PaceAdvantageMakers

DJofSD
04-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Rivals for the Beatles -- the Beach Boys.

kingfin66
04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Kingfin...I would not want to have to prove in a court of law that Kieth Richards is still alive! :eek:

You know the old joke, when nuclear holocost comes there will be only 2 remaining life forms - cockroaches and Keith. Keith, "Hey man, what happened? I saw the bright lights and thought we were on."

tupper
04-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Trivia: When the Beatles first appeaered, who was the band that everyone said was thier biggest rival for popularity in Britain? It wasn't the Stones.DC5, Gerry And The Pacemakers, if the rival has to be a British "combo" right after the Beatles broke. As I recall, Tom Jones was the first act to knock the Beatles out of the number one hit slot. A couple of years after the Beatles appeared -- maybe the Hollies, the Who or the Zombies.

@Dan
I agree that there is no comparison between the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. The Stones were great, but Paul, John and George each possessed a strong command of melody and chords (and lyrics) that eclipsed that of any of the Stones. The Beatles' catalog is much richer and varied than the Stones'. Also, the Beatles not only made their mark in the studio and recordings, they also had an enormous influence in song writing (as you mentioned), band culture and popular culture.

Should have guessed from your avatar that you play bass (by the way, I was a drummer, and my biggest influence was Bobby Columby). I believe that Brian Wilson had a slight influence on some of McCartney's bass lines, especially in "Sgt. Peppers" (compare with the bass parts in the earlier "Pet Sounds").

The Beach Boys are the only 60s band that I would compare with the Beatles, musically. I think that, in a couple of instances, the Beach Boys actually necked past the Beatles prior to "Sgt. Peppers," musically and production-wise.

bigmack
04-08-2007, 01:35 PM
The Shadows

I don't know if there were refunds -- I never got one. But I still think I got my $2 worth.
:lol::lol:

Tom
04-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Not yet.....one of you guys will soon be Glad All Over if you guess it.:rolleyes:

bigmack
04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Not yet.....one of you guys will soon be Glad All Over if you guess it.:rolleyes:
Dave Clark 5? I don't know Tom. Cliff Richard & The Shadows were right up there.

DJofSD
04-08-2007, 02:09 PM
OK, Tom. Now that I've reread the challenge, yes, the DC5.

Pace Cap'n
04-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Monkees? Beach Boys?

Tom
04-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Alright, I've given you BITS N PIECES of the answer.
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT.
But, realy, ANYWAY YOU WANT IT.
Don't TRY TOO HARD.
I thought that EVERYBODY KNOWS the answer.
I'll tell you BECAUSE otherwise, you'll be guessing OVER AND OVER.
It was the DC5.

Now, DO YOU LOVE ME still? I KNEW IT ALL THE TIME.

DJofSD
04-08-2007, 05:08 PM
All of the above bands and their music are great listens. But I bet you can't keep still listening to this album. (http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=01110520042) And, no, I'm not that old. I just enjoy great music of all kinds.

banacek
04-08-2007, 06:45 PM
All of the above bands and their music are great listens. But I bet you can't keep still listening to this album. (http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=01110520042) And, no, I'm not that old. I just enjoy great music of all kinds.

Great album. One of my favourites - my dad made sure I knew good music from all eras. My favourite song from the era is "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman - actually on my ipod right now).

And the link I gave earlier to the video of "All You Need is Love", has a little bit of "In the Mood" at the end.

bigmack
04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
GMy favourite song from the era is "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman
I believe I have 15 recorded versions of that tune. The most dreadful being that from "Those Darn Accordians"

http://www.mediamax.com/slbabyfile/a72bece5-bb5b-40d3-bbf9-11d441ae70ff/PlayList_IRHJJMDVJE.asx

dylbert
04-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Beatles changed music world in 1960s. And that change still has impact on music today. Unfortunately I never got to see Beatles live.

Rolling Stones are great band in their own right. I saw them in 1975 (ticket price, $5, and included The Eagles) and in 2006 (ticket price, $95, with Merle Haggard). Don't think they were 19 times better... hahaha! Good show nonetheless.

I still like what 5 albums (err, CDs; oops, MP3 files) would you take to deserted island challenge. Mine continues to evolve.

1. Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
2. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
3. Led Zepplin IV, Led Zepplin
4. Rhapsody in Blue, George Gershwin
5. ???

??? changes with my mood. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush still gets looks of play in car; Spyro Gyra, in my office; and Chris Botti, in bedside player.

I can't handle hip-hop unless I'm with twentysomething crowd (daughter and her friends) in local nightclub!!!

robert99
04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Great album. One of my favourites - my dad made sure I knew good music from all eras. My favourite song from the era is "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman - actually on my ipod right now).

And the link I gave earlier to the video of "All You Need is Love", has a little bit of "In the Mood" at the end.

Benny Goodman, Bix Beiderbeck, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Little Richard, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan - there were so many American greats.
Find it a bit strange for the American enthusiasm for Beatles and Stones as when starting out they copied every single thing from America. Same with Eric Clapton, but he then took blues guitar to a new level. In UK, we generally look to USA as being the best. I can remember first seeing the Beatles live (they were certainly known as a live band from their Hamburg and Liverpool Cavern days) when they were third on the bill to American one hit wonders Tommy Roe and Chris Montez.

kenwoodallpromos
04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
IMO, "The Beatles" ("White Album") was more politically incorrect than anything the Stones ever did- and actually many of the Beatles albums are laced with non-pc works!

JustMissed
04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
IMO, "The Beatles" ("White Album") was more politically incorrect than anything the Stones ever did- and actually many of the Beatles albums are laced with non-pc works!

Would you give some specifics of where they were politically incorrect?

JM

Bathless
04-09-2007, 04:01 PM

My taste runs from Mozart to AC/DC to Gershwin to Ellington to Dylan.

But for my money, In The Mood was the greatest piece of pop music of the 20th Century. The first time I ever heard it was in a dance scene in a Bowery Boys movie. Great stuff.

banacek
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Would you give some specifics of where they were politically incorrect?

JM

"Run for Your Life", "Revolution", "Why Don't We Do It On the Road", Butcher baby cover,.............................

Bathless
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
The first time I ever heard it was in a dance scene in a Bowery Boys movie. Great stuff.

BTW, Huntz Hall, aka Horace Debussy 'Sach' Jones of the Bowery Boys, appears on the album cover of Sgt. Pepper.

bigmack
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
BTW, Huntz Hall, aka Horace Debussy 'Sach' Jones of the Bowery Boys, appears on the album cover of Sgt. Pepper.
As was William Burroughs, Dylan Thomas, Issy Bonn and a host of others.

Ah, The Bowery Boys. Always enjoyed the malapropisms by Slip Mahoney (Leo Gorcey)

Of course the greatest artist of malapropisms is Norm Crosby. I golfed with him a number of years of ago @ Indian Wells. At one point he turns to me and says, "Well Mack, this beats sittin' in a room with your teeth soaking in a glass of water". I gave it some thought and agreed. He did an hour on stage that night. Very funny stuff.

Pace Cap'n
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Was just messing around on YouTube and up came a search that has page after page after page of Rolling Stones videos--which in turn lead to other videos, such as Stones w/Jimi, Stones w/Dylan, covers of the Stones, etc. etc....(The Sundays covering Wild Horses is mesmerizing)

Check it out... (http://youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=Rolling&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=1)

dav4463
04-10-2007, 03:42 AM
I'll take THE WHO over the Stones or Beatles anyday. I can't believe they haven't been mentioned by somebody.

Also, The Who still make great music today (Townshend and Daltrey anyway....two Who is better than no Who!). Listen to the new CD "Endless Wire" with an open mind and give it two or three listens and you will hear an album that rivals some of The Who's best work. Townshend is every bit the songwriter that Lennon/McCartney were and Daltrey and Townshend both have the stage presence that rivals Jagger and Richards. When you could throw in Moon and Entwistle, The Who blew everybody away.

orrug2k
04-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Couldnt miss stones at cd last fall. Unbelievable. By far my best day at the track

DanG
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I'll take THE WHO over the Stones or Beatles anyday. I can't believe they haven't been mentioned by somebody.
Love 'The Who David…

BigMac’s thread was concerning these two bands or many of us would have gone down several different roads.

Signed;

The Ox ;)

Tom
04-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Turned into a Greatest Hits thread, huh?

bigmack
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Signed;

The Ox
:lol::lol:

I had the joint figured for a bunch of stiffs with the exception of ye, Mr T, Chicky and a handful of others. It won't be long that one starts a general music thread and the fur shall fly.

Bathless
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
As was William Burroughs, Dylan Thomas, Issy Bonn and a host of others.

Ah, The Bowery Boys. Always enjoyed the malapropisms by Slip Mahoney (Leo Gorcey)

Of course the greatest artist of malapropisms is Norm Crosby. I golfed with him a number of years of ago @ Indian Wells. At one point he turns to me and says, "Well Mack, this beats sittin' in a room with your teeth soaking in a glass of water". I gave it some thought and agreed. He did an hour on stage that night. Very funny stuff.

Gorcey was selected to be on the Sgt. Pepper album cover, but his agent demanded a $400 fee. The Beatles dropped him.

In one movie, Sach had a cold and was hard to understand. Slip said "You'll have to forgive my friend. He's got a sinus infatuation."

GaryG
04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Since the thread has gone this way I will vote for Floyd's Wish You Were Here as my favorite album. I learned to play guitar just so I could play that intro. We lost Syd Barrett a few months ago by the way. Not a lot of commercial potential but great music. Two lost souls livin in a fish bowl....year after year.

Zaf
04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Gary,

You will definately enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy_n4pzWbvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sein6WnbY0

Z

bigmack
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Since the thread has gone this way I will vote for Floyd's Wish You Were Here as my favorite album. I learned to play guitar just so I could play that intro. We lost Syd Barrett a few months ago by the way. Not a lot of commercial potential but great music. Two lost souls livin in a fish bowl....year after year.
I trust you know G2, that Shine on you Crazy Diamond was written for Syd B.

Q: The meaning of the LP cover art was?

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000024D4S.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA240_.jpg

chickenhead
04-11-2007, 01:27 AM
a special one just for my friend GaryG (or anyone with a sense of humor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24C4NY0ga8

dav4463
04-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Love 'The Who David…

BigMac’s thread was concerning these two bands or many of us would have gone down several different roads.

Signed;

The Ox ;)

John Entwistle? ;)

dylbert
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Gary,

ZGreat post, Zaf. Echoes in its full 16-1/2 minutes of glory. I cut sound on TV and listened.

What's next -- Be Careful With That Axe Eugene?

Zaf
04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
My pleasure Dylbert. Quoting the dude who uploaded part 2 , "This is Paradise"

Z

GaryG
04-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Gary,

ZSorry I missed it before...thanks Richie!

1st time lasix
04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I worked concert security at University of Florida from 1974 to 1980. Saw at least 200 acts in their prime Obviously the Beatles never made it. Top ten live concerts: 1}Springsteen 2} Heart 3} Eagles/Jimmy Buffet together 4]Billy Joel 5} Rolling Stones 6} Beach Boys 7}Kansas and Styx together 8}Earth Wind and Fire 9} Leonard Skynard and Allman Brothers together 10} Pablo Cruise Five Worst shows 1}George Benson 2}Bob Dylan 3} the Outlaws 4} KC and the Sunshine band 5} Bob Hope Unfortunately Led Zeplen, ....Aerosmith, ....Steely Dan and AC/DC never played there. :(