PDA

View Full Version : Some early observations at the Big A

the_fat_man
04-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Conclusions from watching races 3 thru 5.

You need to be INSIDE (the closer to the rail the better)

you need to have the lead or be in position to inherit it

nothing is gaining in the stretch, especially on the outside (off the 1 or 2 path)

waiting for race 6

the_fat_man
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
well, let me go off topic for a moment and give Alan Garcia the DUMBASS award for his ride on Hobbitontherocks.

:bang:

to alan's defense, he and fatman are scheduled to duel over at the Kissena Velodrome later this afternoon (I'm pushing the bigger gear) and he was only trying to be prompt.

seriously, how do face a trainer and the owners after that ride?

misscashalot
04-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Conclusions from watching races 3 thru 5.

You need to be INSIDE (the closer to the rail the better)

you need to have the lead or be in position to inherit it

nothing is gaining in the stretch, especially on the outside (off the 1 or 2 path)

waiting for race 6

Aqueduct Main - First 3 days

After two days on a surface listed wet, today it was listed as fast. I often wonder what fast means immediately afer being wet? Well at 6f, 6-1/2 and 7 furlongs of the 19 races, 13 (68%) were won by a front tier runner. Speed is king at these 3 distances. The mile distance had a different story. Only 1 of 8 scored from up front. The post seems to be towards the middle to outside at all distances.

Of the 27 races for 3up Males, 18 were won by the top 2 bet choices. This situation remains the same at all classifications.

Tomorrow starts the real racing season in NY. Up to now the wise guys were living off each other. Now it's living off the suckers. 5 stakes. Pleasant Colony $75,000. Bayshore G3 $150,000. Wood G1 $750,000. Carter G1 $300,000. Exce BC G3 $200,000.

Interesting to note that they ran no 2 turn races until today. I wonder if the NYRA is concerned about the quality of the surface. I'm guessing the rail will magically be a speedway, and with fractions to pop our eyes.

Regulars arrive for the day: Cornelio Velasquez, John Velazquez, Castellano. Flores comes from SA riding a Frankel even money ML fav in the 7th. It's an entry and Flores named on both. The 1 is strong, 1A weaker. One must be declared.

Joe Talamo is winning like a champ, but shows signs of not being familiar with perculiarities that the surface presents. Overall he gets an A. The group did well even with the slim pickings at the meet up to now, and approach this "new season" slowly. "There's always another race - no rush"

No surprise

the_fat_man
04-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Joe is definitely a warm weather boy. It's a bit chilly (and windy) out but a FULL FACE wool hat? Definitely a no no among the MACHO BIG A riding colony.

also notice, Misscashalot, how the speed came back and almost won in the marathon race (if only the jock had stayed on the rail in the stretch and not whipped lefty)

and the leader also came back in the BayShore --- Garcia didn't realize the inside is fast, obviously, and was also whipping lefty in the stretch as the horse is trying to stay inside ---at the very end he switches to righty and as Bill Place drifts out, he almost gets up.

of course, both of these horses were supposed to quit, given their trips, and not come back and almost win

Tom
04-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Speed on the rail at Aquedeuct.....who woulda thunk it! :D;)

misscashalot
04-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Joe is definitely a warm weather boy. It's a bit chilly (and windy) out but a FULL FACE wool hat? Definitely a no no among the MACHO BIG A riding colony.

also notice, Misscashalot, how the speed came back and almost won in the marathon race (if only the jock had stayed on the rail in the stretch and not whipped lefty)

and the leader also came back in the BayShore --- Garcia didn't realize the inside is fast, obviously, and was also whipping lefty in the stretch as the horse is trying to stay inside ---at the very end he switches to righty and as Bill Place drifts out, he almost gets up.

of course, both of these horses were supposed to quit, given their trips, and not come back and almost win

1-3/4 fractions were incredibly fast I expected 26, 52 etc etc they were 24+, 49.4 and yet the 3 front runners held.