PDA

View Full Version : This should get good fast....

Tom
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Not a lot od deatials yet, but it appears Nancy Bin Losi lied to the Syrian tyrants - about Israel's stance on peace talks. Israel is caller her liar.

I would stay ouf DC for a while - you never know, they just might stage and air strike! :lol::lol::lol:

Lefty
04-05-2007, 11:32 AM
GW, asked her not to go. All she can do is screw things up; looks like she's off to a fast start doing just that.

kenwoodallpromos
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
"Pelosi challenges Bush´s Mideast policy, ****(warping)**** up Syria visit
Source: CCTV.com | 04-05-2007 16:30

The US House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, is challenging the White House on Mideast policy. After meeting with Syria's President Bashar Assad, she insisted "the road to Damascus is a road to peace."

Pelosi's Syria visit is certainly not what the Bush administration wants to see. The White House has criticized her of following a road lined with victims of terror.

But Pelosi says otherwise.

Pelosi said, "We were very pleased with the assurances we received from the president, that he was ready to resume the peace process. He was ready to engage in negotiations with peace with Israel."

Washington accuses Syria of backing Hamas and Hezbollah. It also says Syria is fueling Iraq's violence by allowing Sunni insurgents to operate from its territory. Pelosi said she raised these thorny issues in talks with Assad. She said her delegation also expressed concerns about Israeli soldiers being held by Hamas and Hezbollah.

Despite no real breakthrough, Pelosi said she hopes the meeting will pave the way for a broader US-Syrian dialogue.

Pelosi is the highest-ranking American politician to visit Syria since the bilateral relations began deteriorating 4 years ago. "

JustRalph
04-05-2007, 01:04 PM
from the article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040402306_pf.html

"Ms. Pelosi was criticized by President Bush for visiting Damascus at a time when the administration -- rightly or wrongly -- has frozen high-level contacts with Syria. Mr. Bush said that thanks to the speaker's freelancing Mr. Assad was getting mixed messages from the United States. Ms. Pelosi responded by pointing out that Republican congressmen had visited Syria without drawing presidential censure. That's true enough -- but those other congressmen didn't try to introduce a new U.S. diplomatic initiative in the Middle East. "We came in friendship, hope, and determined that the road to Damascus is a road to peace," Ms. Pelosi grandly declared.

Never mind that that statement is ludicrous: As any diplomat with knowledge of the region could have told Ms. Pelosi, Mr. Assad is a corrupt thug whose overriding priority at the moment is not peace with Israel but heading off U.N. charges that he orchestrated the murder of former Lebanese prime minister Rafiq al-Hariri. The really striking development here is the attempt by a Democratic congressional leader to substitute her own foreign policy for that of a sitting Republican president. Two weeks ago Ms. Pelosi rammed legislation through the House of Representatives that would strip Mr. Bush of his authority as commander in chief to manage troop movements in Iraq. Now she is attempting to introduce a new Middle East policy that directly conflicts with that of the president. We have found much to criticize in Mr. Bush's military strategy and regional diplomacy. But Ms. Pelosi's attempt to establish a shadow presidency is not only counterproductive, it is foolish.

JustRalph
04-05-2007, 01:17 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.sowell05apr05,0,7997967.story?coll=bal-oped-headlines

Such a drastic and irresponsible step should remove any lingering doubt that the Democrats' political strategy is to ensure that there is an American defeat in Iraq in order to ensure their political victory in 2008.

That these political games are being played while Iran keeps advancing relentlessly toward acquiring nuclear weapons is a fateful sign of the utter unreality of politicians preoccupied with scoring points and a media obsessed with celebrity bimbos, living and dead.

Once Iran has nuclear weapons, that will be an irreversible change that will mark a defining moment in the history of the United States and of Western civilization, which will forever after live at the mercy of hate-filled suicidal fanatics.

Yet among too many politicians in Washington, it is business as usual. Indeed, it is monkey business as usual, as congressional Democrats revel in the power of their new and narrow election victory last year to drag people before committee hearings and posture for the television cameras.

It has been said that the world ends not with a bang but with a whimper. But who would have thought that it could end with political clowning in the shadow of a mushroom cloud?

JustRalph
04-05-2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.washtimes.com/world/20070405-125106-2972r.htm

This is funny.............. she wants to know why there are no women politicians in Saudi Arabia..........

Did somebody forget to tell her that women are treated like Livestock in Saudi? You can own as many as you want?

Secretariat
04-05-2007, 01:56 PM
I find it ironic that Pelosi is criticisized for visiting Syria to attempt to begin a peace negotiaiton process (not even focusing on the two Republicans who had been to Syria recently and the WH did not criticize).

But here's the irony. While Pelosi openly attempts to see if a MidEast Peace intiaitve could happen, and the WH decried that Syria supports terrorism and we don't deal with terrorists, the CIA is in fact dealing with Pakistani terrorists to infiltrate Iran accordng to ABC.

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/apr/1042.html

4/4/07 CIA hires terrorist group to operate inside Iran: ABC News

"New York, April 4, IRNA - Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has hired a Pakistani terrorist group that has carried out a series of deadly terrorist attacks inside Iran, ABC News has reported on Wednesday.

The group, members of the Baluchi tribe, operates from Pakistan's province of Baluchestan, just across the border from Iran.

ABC cited US government sources it did not identify as saying the US has maintained close ties to its leader, Abdel-Malik Regi, since 2005.

The group, called Jundullah, has carried out raids, resulting in the deaths or kidnapping of Iranian ordinary people as well as soldiers and officials.

The large Iranian community residing in the US protested strongly to Voice of America (VOA)'s live interview with Regi recently in which the terrorist claimed responsibility for the operations.

Regi admitted to have personally executed some of the Iranian captives, the ABC News report said. "

delayjf
04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
4/4/07 CIA hires terrorist group to operate inside Iran: ABC News

Would you prefer that US Special Forces Soldiers be used? This is dirty business and sometimes you have to deal with dirty people.

he group, called Jundullah, has carried out raids, resulting in the deaths or kidnapping of Iranian ordinary people as well as soldiers and officials.

Sounds a bit like what the Shite are doing in Baghdad. Must have went to the same terrorist training camp.

skate
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I find it ironic that Pelosi is criticisized for visiting Syria to attempt to begin a peace negotiaiton process (not even focusing on the two Republicans who had been to Syria recently and the WH did not criticize).

But here's the irony. While Pelosi openly attempts to see if a MidEast Peace intiaitve could happen, and the WH decried that Syria supports terrorism and we don't deal with terrorists, the CIA is in fact dealing with Pakistani terrorists to infiltrate Iran accordng to ABC.

"

well now, thanks for pointing this out again.

now, if we could only get you to understand your own quote.

you'd be on your way outta da box.

CIA being responsible
Piglosi being irrespective
the skate being the skate

JustRalph
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
The Speaker of the House doesn't get to set their own foreign policy agenda!!! How hard is that to understand. There is an official body that carries that out. It is called the State Department! They are run at the direction of the President!

How hard is that to understand?

lsbets
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I find it ironic that those who cried about the "undermining of the constitution" when there was not one, are now completely unconcerned when the Speaker of the House decides that she is the Commander in Chief and now gets to set her own agenda for foreign policy. Someone needs to give old girl a copy of the constitution, or we could be headed for a historic showdown as Nancy attempts to orchestrate a coup of sorts to topple the President.

Light
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Bush's foreign policy has been a total failure. Non communication with Syria has done nothing to alleviate the issues of border crossings and terrorism. Dialogue has allways been the road to achievement. Only those with no experience with foreign policy have trouble understanding this. Its about time someone stepped up to bat for Condi who is batting a big fat zero.

Secretariat
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
The hypocrisy is beyond beleif. Even conservative FOX News reported it.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Apr04/0,4670,RepublicansSyria,00.html

3 Republicans Part With Bush on Syria
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
By BEN EVANS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Three Republican congressmen who parted with President Bush by meeting with Syrian leaders said Wednesday it is important to maintain a dialogue with a country the White House says sponsors terrorism.

"I don't care what the administration says on this. You've got to do what you think is in the best interest of your country," said Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va. "I want us to be successful in Iraq. I want us to clamp down on Hezbollah."

Washington accuses Syria of backing Hamas and Hezbollah, two groups it deems terrorist organizations.

The Bush administration also says Syria is contributing to the violence in Iraq by allowing Sunni insurgents to operate from its territory and is destabilizing Lebanon's government.

Bush sharply criticized House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., for leading a delegation to meet with Syria's president, Bashar Assad.

The White House, however, stayed relatively quiet about a similar trip just a few days earlier by Wolf and GOP Reps. Robert Aderholt of Alabama and Joseph Pitts of Pennsylvania.

Returning on Wednesday, the lawmakers said they made clear to Assad that they support Bush and were not representing the administration. But they said they felt it was important to keep open lines of communication.

It is not uncommon for a Speaker to go aborad to unfriendly nations. Delay went to Russia to play golf in 1997, and Hastert went to Vietnam just last year. I guess commies are OK.

JustRalph
04-05-2007, 09:53 PM
It is not the same Sec. And you know it. She is the highest ranking member of the opposition party. She is 3rd in line to the Presidency. It sends mixed signals and makes her look bad. And it gives bad signals to our enemies.

Remember the refrain..........."United we stand,.....divided we fall" Nancy wants us to fall. She thinks she can then pick up the pieces.

She has proven she doesn't deserve the position she is in.

DJofSD
04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
This is funny.............. she wants to know why there are no women politicians in Saudi Arabia..........

I think we need to start a training program for those poor, ignorant bedous. And I nominate Nancy to be the Aid in Residence. I'll even grant her use of a U.S. Military transport jet to take her there with as many Aids de Camp as she needs.

JustRalph
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Bush's foreign policy has been a total failure.

I might beg to differ. Every time a young marine or soldier drives a 5.56 round into the body of a terrorist insurgent........ I find it a victory. Every time one of our aircraft bombs the hell out of a terrorist hideout I find a victory. Al Zarquari is still dead and rotting and I cherish that kind of victory. Everytime some asshole with a playing card named after him hears an airplane fly over and runs for cover,,,,,,, I find one more victory.

Talk is cheap.

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Applause for the Washington Post.

It's completely mind-boggling what is happening out there in DC.

It is not uncommon for a Speaker to go aborad to unfriendly nations. Delay went to Russia to play golf in 1997, and Hastert went to Vietnam just last year. I guess commies are OK.

What she did goes way beyond a game of golf....read the WashPost piece again, maybe it will start to sink in....

46zilzal
04-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I might beg to differ. Every time a young marine or soldier drives a 5.56 round into the body of a terrorist insurgent........ I find it a victory. Every time one of our aircraft bombs the hell out of a terrorist hideout I find a victory. Al Zarquari is still dead and rotting and I cherish that kind of victory. Everytime some asshole with a playing card named after him hears an airplane fly over and runs for cover,,,,,,, I find one more victory.

Talk is cheap.
Some is celebrating violence

Light
04-06-2007, 01:23 AM

Talk is cheap.

What does that have to do with a successful foreign policy? OOPS,I forgot,your idea of foreign policy is to kill and be killed.

Those days of total American military supremacy are gone. Get a clue. 9/11 was a hint.The quagmire in Iraq is another.Talking to your enemies is not a sign of weakness,but requires strength to open up.Nothing happens when you are closed and weakminded. How many more catastropes does America need before it understands that it is part of a world community,not above it.

DJofSD
04-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Talking to your enemies is not a sign of weakness,but requires strength to open up.

Oh, you mean like Neville Chamberlain and Hitler?

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Those days of total American military supremacy are gone. Get a clue. 9/11 was a hint.The quagmire in Iraq is another.

9/11 was a hint? A hint of what? Amateur hour?

If the full force of the American Military was ever unleashed (and I'm not even talking nuclear capabilities) what Middle Eastern force would ever be able to withstand such a high tech killing machine?

Iran could be wiped out in a matter of days, and we're not even talking nuclear weapons here.

Just because you wish it to be so, or believe it to be so, does not make it so.

But feel free to keep dreaming.

JustRalph
04-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Those days of total American military supremacy are gone.

You know nothing of what you speak. American Military Power dwarfs any other country on the planet. We don't have politicians who have the balls to use it........that is where we are lacking.............

You damn sure don't know anything about the Air Power available to the U.S. we can level any country we want in a week. That is without going nuclear.

Tom
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Sec posted:

"It is not uncommon for a Speaker to go aborad to unfriendly nations. Delay went to Russia to play golf in 1997, and Hastert went to Vietnam just last year. I guess commies are OK."

My GAWD, man......you are supposed to be celebrating EASTER, not IGNORANCE!

That has got to be one the stupedist analogies you have ever made. You really have nothing to spin this into other than that? :lol::lol::lol:

46zilzal
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't dare to try and make peace! No chance to fight or kill!!

GameTheory
04-06-2007, 11:56 AM
You're missing the point. Even if you agree with the Pelosi's foreign policy what she is doing is wrong. THERE SHOULDN'T BE A PELOSI FOREIGN POLICY. Congress people are not freelance heads-of-state to be running around the world giving mixed messages to different countries on their whim.

Light
04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Oh, you mean like Neville Chamberlain and Hitler?

No.In this case Churchill's quote would be relevant Better to "Jaw Jaw" than "War War"

9/11 was a hint? A hint of what? Amateur hour?

If its so amateurish,why are we spending Billions on this never ending amateur hour.

You damn sure don't know anything about the Air Power available to the U.S. we can level any country we want in a week.

Uhh,you'd better check that with Israel who tried that very tactic on Hezbollah last summer, using the latest U.S. air technology,including bunker busting missles. Failed and Israel had to withdraw. You know how many 500 pound bombs were dropped on Iraq? What did that do? You ever heard of Vietnam? You ever heard of Guerilla warfare? Like I said,America cannot win wars militarily anymore.Those days are over. Its time to talk.

GaryG
04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Like I said,America cannot win wars militarily anymore.Those days are over. Its time to talk.You mean appeasement? Here, take Israel if you want it, just don't fight with us any more? What we need is a balls to the wall war, the no holds barred kind. They will never drve Israel out of that land....period. You want to talk? Yes, Ill bet you do.

Light
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Just a clarification. Those bunker busters are 2000 pound laser guided bombs. I guess you'll have to Nuke. Israeli's will just have to wear gas masks and consume radiated food and water for the rest of their lives,which will be quite unpleasant and shortened.

delayjf
04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
No.In this case Churchill's quote would be relevant Better to "Jaw Jaw" than "War War"

All that rhetoric is fine, but did it work??? Did appeasing Hitler prevent WWII or the holocuast???

You may not like it, but the world has ALWAYS been shaped and changed by force or a threat of force. That's reality, like it or not.

46zilzal
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
You mean appeasement? Here, take Israel if you want it, just don't fight with us any more? What we need is a balls to the wall war, the no holds barred kind. They will never drve Israel out of that land....period. You want to talk? Yes, Ill bet you do.
Go sign up and you can have a provocating FRONT SEAT!! Just like in a bar.

Light
04-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Pelosi's foreign policy what she is doing is wrong.

Its better than that Moron Condi. When the world watched in horror as the U.S. blocked any ceasefire in Lebanon so that Israel had carte blanche to blow Lebanon up regardless of civilians and homes,Condi said: "We are witnessing the birth pangs of a new Middle East."

So when the WTC's fell down,that would equate to: "We are witnessing the birth pangs of a new America"

Pelosi's is a staunch Israeli supporter and has said she is doing this in the name of American National security. She has been welcomed like a breath of fresh air,which can only help. The only mixed message it gives to the enemy is that we are not all idiots and Aholes.

GaryG
04-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Wait until Jesse Jackson realizes that anyone can make their own foreign policy. I can see it now....

delayjf
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
So when the WTC's fell down,that would equate to: "We are witnessing the birth pangs of a new America"

You got that right. You are witnessing a new America that is not going to cow down to terrorists anymore.

If you want to reduce civilian deaths in Lebanon. Get hezbolla to quit hiding behind women and children and move their rocket launchers out of the populated areas - the cowards. :mad:

Tom
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
While there have been countless idle and uninformed comments about impeaching Bush, one needs only to read the Logan Act to know that Bin Losi should be arrested for her actions. She is clear violation of the law.
And in time of war, she should face a firing squad.

(get that one zilly - for your tally?)

Secretariat
04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Applause for the Washington Post.

It's completely mind-boggling what is happening out there in DC.

What she did goes way beyond a game of golf....read the WashPost piece again, maybe it will start to sink in....

You're focusing on a small point that I was making that Speakers have gone to unfriendly foreign countries all the time, and in the case of Hastert to directly affect foreign policy shifts as in the case of commie North Vietnam.

This is a small point above. My main point is the WH is being hypocritical here. On the one hand they criticize Pelosi for visiting Syria, and on the other they say nothing about the trips of the three Republican Congressman who were just there.

As one of them said and I posted earlier in this thread:

"I don't care what the administration says on this. You've got to do what you think is in the best interest of your country," said Rep. Frank Wolf, R-Va. "I want us to be successful in Iraq. I want us to clamp down on Hezbollah."

Now, if Pelosi had said that exact statement the WH woudl have been all over her. It's politics as usual. Pelosi wouldn't differ on what Wolf said (who btw is a staunch conservative that drives me nuts, but he realizes the Presidency is not monarchial despite his party affiliation.)

JR states it is not the same thing. of course not - Wolf is a Republican and Pelosi is a Democrat.

delayjf
04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
And in time of war, she should face a firing squad.

Well, we won't have to waste money on a blindfold, we'll use the one she's wearing. :eek: :D

Tom
04-06-2007, 03:27 PM
The repubs should stand next to Bin Pelosi in the firing squad.

DJofSD
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
This thread just continues to prove to me that Michael Savage is correct: liberalism is a mental disease. And, the only thing they have as guiding philosophy is defeatism. The only way they'll truely find happiness is when the enemy is literally dancing on their graves.

Light
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
liberalism is a mental disease. And, the only thing they have as guiding philosophy is defeatism. The only way they'll truely find happiness is when the enemy is literally dancing on their graves.

Being good Friday,I'm sure you would have criticized me for being against the crucifiction of Christ. He was a threat to the government as well.No I'm not equating Terrorism and Christianity. He didnt do it with bullets but with words. The end result is my point. Both would destabalize the status quo government,coming at it from a different direction. If you are against Pelosi just for visiting a "hostile" country,because the Fuhrer feels she is undermining him,you certainly would have been in favor of Christs execution as you all favor capitol punishment for enemies of the state.Your "firing squad" comments back this ugly position.

DJofSD
04-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't understand the position your response seems to imply. On one hand, you invoke Christ and imply a pacifist philosophy is what should be the guiding principle of this government. But on the other hand, liberals want a complete separate of church from state. So which way to do want it?

As to the speaker's travels abroad, I really don't care who's the people or the party that's in the various positions. It is not their job, it is not within their pervue to set foriegn policy or act as if they do. I would hold the same position if it was a Democratic president with a Republican speaker.

kenwoodallpromos
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Being good Friday,I'm sure you would have criticized me for being against the crucifiction of Christ. He was a threat to the government as well.No I'm not equating Terrorism and Christianity. He didnt do it with bullets but with words. The end result is my point. Both would destabalize the status quo government,coming at it from a different direction. If you are against Pelosi just for visiting a "hostile" country,because the Fuhrer feels she is undermining him,you certainly would have been in favor of Christs execution as you all favor capitol punishment for enemies of the state.Your "firing squad" comments back this ugly position.
"Pilate had to deal with two conflicting feelings, first there was the fear of offending the Jews, and second was the gut feeling that Jesus was innocent. This was not the first time that the Jewish leaders had caused him trouble, and he probably had little patience for their manipulation.

First he examined the Lord privately and asked Him whether or not He was a king. After examining Jesus he came out to the Jews and declared Him innocent. The Jewish leaders immediately replied that His teaching had stirred up all the people from Galilee to Jerusalem. When they mentioned Galilee Pilate had a quick solution in order to escape this dilemma, he would send this case to Herod Antipas.

*****Herod refused to make any decision on this matter. Pilate was forced to make a decision. He assembled the chief priests and the Jewish people and announced to them that the accused had done nothing worthy of death. To satisfy the Sanhedrin he offered to scourge Jesus before releasing Him. But seeing immediate rejection, because the accusers of Jesus would not be happy with anything less than His death, Pilate had to think fast if he wanted to maintain his conviction that Jesus was not worthy of death.

Each year, in honor of the Passover, it was customary for the Roman governor to grant pardon to one condemned criminal. Pilate therefore offered the people their choice between two condemned criminals. First was the murderer Barabbas, and second was Jesus the prophet, who the Jewish people had hailed as the Messiah only a few days earlier.

Pontius Pilate ascended the Bema seat of judgment, a portable tribunal placed on the Gabbatha, a mosaic pavement in front of the palace. As Pilate was seated he received a message from his wife, who had "suffered greatly in a dream because of Him" (Matt 27:19), urging him not to condemn the Just One.

The mob, being urged by the priests, frantically chose Barabbas for pardon and death for Jesus. Pontius Pilate had no alternative, lest there be an insurrection. Before ordering the final command to sentence Jesus to death, Pilate washed his hands before the multitude, as a sign that he was innocent of the crime.

Pilate then ordered his soldiers to scourge Jesus, no doubt hoping that this would be enough to satisfy the people. But the priests cried for His death all the more, and, fearing that the political charge of treason might be considered insufficient, returned to their first accusation of blasphemy. They quoted the law of Moses (Lev 24:16), which punished blasphemy with stoning, declared that He must die, "because He made Himself out to be the Son of God" (John 19:7).

This title bothered Pilate who was already nervous by his wife's dream. Perhaps he feared that Jesus might be one of the heroes or demigods of his own mythology. He took Jesus again into the palace and asked Him, "Where are You from?" and sought to know anxiously what were His claims (John 19:9).

This interview was the one last effort to save Jesus. Pilate went out to the crowd again and they shouted, "If you release this Man, you are no friend of Caesar" (19:12). Pilate finally gave in to the crowd and the pressure. He again ascended the tribunal and finally pronounced the crucifixion of Jesus."
_____
According to the bible, Pilate and even Herod refused to condem him because Jesus did nothing to threaten the Roman Government. Even the historian Josephus agrees on that.
Please find me a reference to Jesus upsetting anyone but the constructionist Jews before you equate Pelosi to Jesus. I know Jesus and Pelosi is no Jesus!LOL!!

Secretariat
04-06-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2007/04/06/pelosi_syria/

A great article on this.

To Damascus with Nancy Pelosi
Why neocons are so apoplectic about the speaker's visit to Syria.
By Joe Conason

DJofSD
04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting link, Sec. Thanks.

No, the war against Pelosi is a rear-guard assault by the White House against moderates and liberals in both political parties who understand that the failed Bush policies have jeopardized American interests and hurt the Mideast peace process. What Wolf and Pelosi have in common is their endorsement of the Iraq Study Group's proposals, which emphasize regional diplomacy, including direct talks with both Syria and Iran. Indeed, it was Wolf who first approached James Baker about undertaking the Iraq report, and who sponsored the legislation that paid for the group's work.

So, where does it say it's Nancy's job to implement the policy from the study?

JustRalph
04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
where is the federal prosecutor on this one?

http://opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110009908

Secretariat
04-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Interesting link, Sec. Thanks.

So, where does it say it's Nancy's job to implement the policy from the study?

Thanks for reading the article. Congress has gone on fact finding missions to unfriendly nations since I've been alive. In fact as the article states Pelosi met with Israel Prime Minister Olmert previously (and as Light says Pelosi has always been a bug supporter of Israel). Congress and Republican Wolf have spoken about the Iraq Study Group's recommendations often during many of the debates in Congress. If Republican James Baker recommends dialogue with Syria and right winger Wolf has no problem going to Syria, why is it when Pelosi goes that people are aghast. I think Conason explains it quite clearly in the article.

delayjf
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Kenwoodallpromo,

Thanks for your comments goes along with what Christ said with regards to the Government....." Render unto Ceasar, what is Ceasar's"

Tom
04-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks for reading the article. Congress has gone on fact finding missions to unfriendly nations since I've been alive. In fact as the article states Pelosi met with Israel Prime Minister Olmert previously (and as Light says Pelosi has always been a bug supporter of Israel). Congress and Republican Wolf have spoken about the Iraq Study Group's recommendations often during many of the debates in Congress. If Republican James Baker recommends dialogue with Syria and right winger Wolf has no problem going to Syria, why is it when Pelosi goes that people are aghast. I think Conason explains it quite clearly in the article.

Concason - and you - totally miss the point.

This nation must speak to foreign heads of state with one voice - and that voice is the exectuive branch. Bin Losi is violating the policy established by the constitutional empowered branch. She has no authority to make any deal, promises, or even disagree with Bush to anyone in that setting. Mixed signals being send benefit no one. If Bin Pelosi want to be president, let her run and earn the right. right now, she is 100% out of line and needs to bitch slapped back into her place.

That fact that she found common ground with a sponsor of terror speaks volumes about her.

Rigiht or wrong, the policy is Bush's to set, not congress. We voted for Bush knowing that.

JustRalph
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20070405_Pelosi_was_nuts_to_visit_with_Assad.html

http://media.philly.com/designimages/inq_main_header.gif

From the Article:

Commentary
Pelosi was nuts to visit with AssadBy Claudia Rosett
In visiting Syria this week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi no doubt meant well. She wants dialogue. As a woman, mother, and now the third-highest-ranking elected official in American politics, she has achieved a great deal in life by talking with people. On this trip she made a point of showing how easy it is to interact with Syrians, with an itinerary that included a visit to a souk in Damascus - where she was photographed holding out her hand while a cheerful vendor gave her some nuts.
Unfortunately, that photo-op sums up the best that can be said about Pelosi's trip: Nuts. Having done her shopping, Pelosi went on, against the express wishes of the White House, to talk with President Bashar Assad. Perched on pillowed armchairs, chatting away, they provided yet another photo-op - a tableau implying that Assad is no monster, but in many ways a reasonable fellow, just like the rest of us. Pelosi emerged to announce that she had expressed her concerns on various fronts and that Assad is now willing to hold peace talks with Israel.

This is not just nutty politics; it is dangerous. For Pelosi, this may count as interaction. But for Assad's regime in Syria, this amounts to chumps on pilgrimage. Damascus is infested by a dynastic tyranny in which "dialogue" serves chiefly as cover for duplicity and terror. These traits are not simply regrettable habits that Assad might be charmed out of. They are big business and prime instruments of power.

more at the link..............

DJofSD
04-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Nutty politics from a party with no balls.

When will the Arab and Muslim female contigent become a part of the dialogue? Oh, that's right, they believe in keeping their women bare foot and pregnant. But yet we're told these are an enlightened people, a civilized people worthy of our emulation.

Go figure.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Lots of leverage she has - 'If you want to avoid problems with the U.S. in the Middle East, here is what we want your country to do - but if you don't want to, we just want the heck out and want to leave anyway, and I'm personally working hard to withdraw the troops and their funding whether you work with us not not.' :mad:

Wouldn't you LOVE to have Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid playing at the same poker table as yourself? Wouldn't you LOVE to have them betting into the same parimutuel pools as you? Wouldn't you LOVE to have them coaching the opposing football team? Now, wouldn't you LOVE to have them in leadership positions in any country but our own, esp. one of our non-allies? :eek:

DJofSD
04-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't you LOVE to have Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid playing at the same poker table as yourself? Wouldn't you LOVE to have them betting into the same parimutuel pools as you? Wouldn't you LOVE to have them coaching the opposing football team? Now, wouldn't you LOVE to have them in leadership positions in any country but our own, esp. one of our non-allies?

I can see it now: "I'm all in!" then you'd get your face slapped!

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2007, 11:56 PM
where is the federal prosecutor on this one?

http://opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110009908

The dopes in this thread don't realize the potential illegality of what Pelosi did. They just want to yammer on about how she's a mom, and she cares, and what she did was cool man....peace man...better than war man....

SO NOT THE POINT.

"Hey, a couple of no-name REPUBLICANS visited some unfriendlies and Bush didn't say Boo, man...." Yeah, that's because these Republicans weren't a couple of heartbeats away from the PRESIDENCY and don't carry anywhere near the same CLOUT. Plus (and here's the real important part) they didn't try and set any FOREIGN POLICY!!!! Dopes.

But hey, the whole point of the Democratic party since election day 2000 was to undermine the executive branch at every turn. Carry on...

And as long as it makes Bush look bad, these dopes in these threads will continue to pat each other on the back and look the other way as to the LEGALITY of it all....they'll look the other way on EVERYTHING NOT REPUBLICAN/BUSH/CHENEY related.

Dopes.

PaceAdvantage
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Dare to dream:

The Supreme Court has spoken clearly on this aspect of the separation of powers. In Marbury v. Madison, Chief Justice John Marshall used the president's authority over the Department of State as an illustration of those "important political powers" that, "being entrusted to the executive, the decision of the executive is conclusive." And in the landmark 1936 Curtiss-Wright case, the Supreme Court reaffirmed: "Into the field of negotiation the Senate cannot intrude, and Congress itself is powerless to invade it."

Ms. Pelosi and her Congressional entourage spoke to President Assad on various issues, among other things saying, "We came in friendship, hope, and determined that the road to Damascus is a road to peace." She is certainly not the first member of Congress--of either party--to engage in this sort of behavior, but her position as a national leader, the wartime circumstances, the opposition to the trip from the White House, and the character of the regime she has chosen to approach make her behavior particularly inappropriate.

Of course, not all congressional travel to, or communications with representatives of, foreign nations is unlawful. A purely fact-finding trip that involves looking around, visiting American military bases or talking with U.S. diplomats is not a problem. Nor is formal negotiation with foreign representatives if authorized by the president. (FDR appointed Sens. Tom Connally and Arthur Vandenberg to the U.S. delegation that negotiated the U.N. Charter.) Ms. Pelosi's trip was not authorized, and Syria is one of the world's leading sponsors of international terrorism. It has almost certainly been involved in numerous attacks that have claimed the lives of American military personnel from Beirut to Baghdad.

The U.S. is in the midst of two wars authorized by Congress. For Ms. Pelosi to flout the Constitution in these circumstances is not only shortsighted; it may well be a felony, as the Logan Act has been part of our criminal law for more than two centuries. Perhaps it is time to enforce the law.

Lefty
04-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Local radio guy says ms Pelosi is guilty of violating the Logan Act.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
If they arrested Pelosi and put her in jail for violating the Logan Act, hold her for a couple of weeks, send out a behind-bars interview where she says she was guilt of violating the Logan Act and that she is truly sorry, and says she has great respect for President Bush, and then they dress her up in nice new clothes, give her a gift bag and drop the charges, releasing her, and tell the Democrats that they are giving them a "Gift", do you think the Democrats will limit themselves to saying "Oh, we're just glad she was released without further incident"? :D :lol: :liar:

Secretariat
04-07-2007, 04:25 AM
The Logan Act? I think no one has ever been successfully prosecuted under it...ever. Maybe I'm wrong. In fact I think the act was named after a Republican pacifist who went to France and Adams got perturbed. No one even dealt with iths until Reagan mentioned it as a threat against Jesse Jackson for going to Cuba. Again, all blather and no balls.

To give GW credit he's not making absurd accusations about her trip, especially in lieu of (I beleive someone referred to them as no name republican congressmen) visit as well.

I suppose it's something for the right to try to divert away from Gonzales woes. Have at it.

hcap
04-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Duh # 1,

FLASHBACK: Gingrich Thrust Himself Into Mideast Questions As Speaker, Bashed White House Policy
By Greg Sargent
Paging CNN...

One politician who's been getting some airtime as a critic of Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria is former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. A few days ago he hammered Pelosi for going abroad in defiance of the White House's wishes, saying that such defiance of the White House by Congressional leaders was "very dangerous."

But as Speaker himself in May of 1998, Gingrich aggressively inserted himself into American foreign policymaking abroad when he took a high-powered Congressional delegation to Israel. He openly denounced the White House's Middle East policies and made public comments in direct defiance of the White House. Right before his trip he even described then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright as an "agent for the Palestinians."

In other words, despite the fact that the White House opposed her trip to Syria, Pelosi -- who claims she delivered the White House's message, unlike Gingrich -- has in many ways been more respectful of the White House than Gingrich was on his trip abroad. Yet CNN somehow can still ask without any irony whether Pelosi is on her way to becoming the "most controversial House Speaker yet."

.................................................. ...............

Duh # 2a

Gore, Gingrich Headed To China
Their visits occur against the backdrop of campaign finance investigations
China

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, March 21) -- In back-to-back visits, Vice President Al Gore and House Speaker Newt Gingrich will go to China next week, even as U.S.-Sino relations have been strained by campaign finance accusations leveled against the Chinese.

Gore leaves Saturday for an eight-day Asian tour that includes a China visit. The tour's official goal is to improve U.S.-Chinese relations, but with the Clinton Administration still smarting over allegations the Chinese government may have tried to funnel money to U.S. political candidates, the campaign finance issue may come up.

Duh # 2b

Gingrich Asks For China's Help
He suggests 'renegades' may have been at work in fund-raising controversy

BEIJING (AllPolitics, March 28) -- House Speaker Newt Gingrich, meeting with Chinese leaders today, asked for their help in unraveling the accusations that Chinese citizens may have made illegal contributions to U.S. political campaigns.

hcap
04-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Some more Duh # 1...

From ABC News, May 27, 1998:

DAVID ENSOR, ABC News: (voice-over) It's beginning to look as if the days when American partisan politics ended at the water's edge may be over.

Rep. NEWT GINGRICH (R), Speaker of the House:... Jerusalem, as the united and eternal capital of Israel.

DAVID ENSOR: (voice-over) That runs directly contrary to official US policy, which holds that Jerusalem's future is a matter for negotiation between Palestinians and Israelis.

Next, Speaker Gingrich took on the Clinton administration's effort to convince Israel to give up about 13 percent more of the West Bank. He said, quote, "We cannot allow non- Israelis to substitute their judgment for the generals that Israel has trusted with its security."

Duh # 3

Oh yeah.....Hastert in Columbia, 1995. He told them to disregard the State Department and President and deal directly with Congress.

.................................................. ..................................
In this context, Easter, and Pesach it is worth recalling Jesus' words in Matthew 5:9, "Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the children of God."

Tom
04-07-2007, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Steve give her a gift bag and drop the charges, just glad she was released without further incident"? :D :lol: :liar:[/QUOTE]

Post of the Month! MAybe she can start in the next DVD - Goats Gone Wild II!

Tom
04-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Sec , let;s review....

Gonzalas - perfectly legal
Bin Losi - violated the law

Now, no soup for you until you learn this.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Last I knew, we had 'normal' relations with Israel, China and Columbia.

Not good to meet with their heads of state and directly work against the White House. Not years ago, and not now.

Light
04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
There is 10x more reasons on the books to impeach Bush as there is Pelosi. You have to prove intent and action on Pelosi's part to alter the status quo of the Presidents foreign pollicy. Diplomacy is not a crime.Next.

Christ's crucifiction stemed from a real threat to the status quo government. Pelosi is no JC and light years from even that position to the government she represents.Yet neocons are crucifying her figuratively and some would prefer literally.Take GW and his staff and these church going neocons back 2000 years and there is no reason they wouldn't find Christ a traitor to the governmnet and call for his death when Pelosi gets all this flack and isnt anywhere near the threat Christ was.

Lefty
04-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Pelosi violated the Logan act. A crime. As pointed out, never prosecuted but on the books as a crime.
You can only impeach the president for High Crimes and Misdemeanors. You cannot impeach the pres for policy differences. That's why the saber rattlers will never attempt it. All talk. All hate. All the time.

Lefty
04-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I hasten to add, Foreign Policy is not the job of Sec Of State. When go around hollering bi-partisanship, then blatently ignore the president's wishes on these important matters; just proves you're all talk; a political pretender and just seek power. Weak as water.

Secretariat
04-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Hey Sec , let;s review....

Gonzalas - perfectly legal
Bin Losi - violated the law

Now, no soup for you until you learn this.

Tom,

I haven't seen any indictment, have you? As I said, all blather and no balls.

Secretariat
04-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I hasten to add, Foreign Policy is not the job of Sec Of State. When go around hollering bi-partisanship, then blatently ignore the president's wishes on these important matters; just proves you're all talk; a political pretender and just seek power. Weak as water.

Now Lefty, I want you to actually read this article in lieu of all the Logan Act nonsense and your above post. Hcap spoke of some of Gingrich's trips while Speaker, but didn't quite mention this one to visiti Yassar Arafat, head of the PLO, a terrorist orgnaization, and also Gingrich's defense.

Now here's a Speaker who met with the head of the PLO (shook his hands and had foregin policiy discussions with him w/o the approval of the State Department or the President). Now, how do you justify that Lefty? Should Neut be tried for violation of the Logan Act? Enough said.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/meast/9805/27/arafat.gingrich/

Palestinians: Arafat-Gingrich talks go well
May 27, 1998

RAMALLAH, West Bank (CNN) -- Despite Palestinian anger with Newt Gingrich over the U.S. speaker's outspoken pro-Israel stance in stalled peace talks, Palestinian officials were upbeat following talks on Wednesday between Gingrich and Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat.

Meantime, Gingrich accused the Clinton administration of making a personal attack on him while he was overseas trying to help promote U.S. peace policy.

Meeting begins on sour note ...

It was unclear until the last minute whether Arafat would agree to meet with Gingrich, who on Tuesday declared he considered Jerusalem the "united and eternal capital of Israel."

The Palestinians want to establish a capital in east Jerusalem, captured by Israel from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war.

Hanan Ashrawi, a member of Arafat's Cabinet, said that while the Palestinians considered Gingrich's statements "extremely provocative," they did not want to miss an opportunity to get their views across.

"We want to make clear to Mr. Gingrich that there is a Palestinian side, and there are issues that cannot be meddled in," said Ashrawi, the minister of higher education.

Despite the potential for a cool encounter, the 90-minute meeting went well, Palestinian officials told CNN.

Both Gingrich and Arafat shook hands as they emerged from the Palestinian leader's headquarters in the West Bank town of Ramallah. Gingrich said he believed Mideast peace was in the interests of both Israelis and Palestinians.

"We had very positive talks. We focused on creating security for all in the region," Gingrich said.

Earlier this month in Washington, the speaker accused Clinton of blackmailing the Israeli government on behalf of Arafat. At the time, he called Secretary of State Madeleine Albright an "agent for the Palestinians."

The remark drew fire on Tuesday from the Clinton administration. State Department spokesman James Rubin said Albright considered the comment outrageous.

White House spokesman Mike McCurry said Gingrich's "suggestion that the secretary of state is loyal to anyone but the people of the United States of America is highly offensive."

We are going to write a letter to secretary today asking her why her spokesperson would make a personality attack on a legislative leader when he is out of the country," he said.

He stressed that he was "trying to be helpful" which was why he was meeting with Arafat.

Tom
04-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Spin, spin, spin.
Getting dizzy......dizzy........:faint:

hcap
04-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Steve 'StatMan'Last I knew, we had 'normal' relations with Israel, China and Columbia.
1...On his trip Gingrich attempted to countermand Clinton Administration policy, which exceeded his constitutional authority.

2... Unlike Pelosi, [former Republican House Speaker Dennis] Hastert and his staff were not reticent to speak on behalf of the United States government, nor were they worried about negotiating as though they were official emissaries of the president. But unlike Pelosi, they were not accompanied by officials of the embassy and often did not inform the embassy of their visits. On occasion they even denied embassy requests to attend the meetings they were holding with officials of the Colombian government.

Over the course of several years, Hastert’s aides negotiated billions of dollars in U.S. arms assistance to elements of the Colombian military for specific weapons chosen as a result of meetings between Hastert’s staff and Colombian officials. Following the negotiations, Hastert would insist that the funds be inserted in appropriation bills; after the weapons were purchased, Hastert’s staff would show up for their delivery.

Hastert got away with this behavior because officials in the Clinton administration knew he and his staff could wreak havoc on a wide range of administration priorities. Clinton officials decided to look the other way rather than confront this outrageous intrusion into the constitutional powers of the president.

By contrast, Pelosi and a group of other congresspersons talked to President Assad of Syria for “more than an hour.” At least one Republican admitted that Pelosi didn’t say anything out of line to Assad.

Rep. David L. Hobson of Springfield, who joined Pelosi and other lawmakers in a meeting yesterday with Syrian President Bashar Assad, disagreed with Boehner that Pelosi “came here to embarrass Bush. I think she came here to reinforce certain policies, understand the region better and have the region understand her better.”

In a telephone interview last night from Saudi Arabia, Hobson said Pelosi “did not engage in any bashing of Bush in any meeting I was in and she did not in any meeting I was in bash the policies as it relates to Syria.”

Instead, Hobson said, Pelosi and the congressional delegation urged Assad to curb the number of suicide bombers who cross the Syrian border into Iraq to “murder our troops and the Iraqi people.”

Steve 'StatMan'Not good to meet with their heads of state and directly work against the White House. Not years ago, and not now.We agree. Too bad Newt and Dennis do not

Tom
04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Tom,

I haven't seen any indictment, have you? As I said, all blather and no balls.

Couldn't very well post a link to PACEADVANTAGE using a very similar quote, so you made this on up, eh? Flattery is .....whatever!

Like I said, it might be Israel that has somethiong to say about it, seeing how she LIED about what they told her.

skate
04-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Last I knew, we had 'normal' relations with Israel, China and Columbia.

Not good to meet with their heads of state and directly work against the White House. Not years ago, and not now.

i'll add, its so simple, yet:bang:

thanks

Lefty
04-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Hcap, the essence of your post is Clionton had no guts. Hell, we know that!

Lefty
04-07-2007, 08:22 PM
sec, tell you what zilly is always saying: Don't shoot the messenger. You can't find where i said Pelosi should be prosecuted, i just pointed out she violated the Logan act.

Tom
04-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I said she should be prosecued and face a firing squad, not Lefty.
Now that you mention it, Hcap should be prsecuted as well. General principle. Bad taste in cartoons. :p

hcap
04-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Sorry you don't like satire Tom.
Maybe you should.....

http://www.nolaranch.com/images/monkeys.jpg

a) Remove your paws from your eyes.
b) Remove your paws from your ears
c) Finally admit you have been wrong about deer leedur and his war.

d) Finally admit that an infinite number of monkeys typing for an infinite number of years can not write a Shakespeare sonnet, let alone one meaningful post

http://www.thestranger.com/blog/files/2006/12/image517703x.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Secretariat
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
sec, tell you what zilly is always saying: Don't shoot the messenger. You can't find where i said Pelosi should be prosecuted, i just pointed out she violated the Logan act.

I'm glad you feel Pelosi should not be prosecuted. I feel the same way about Gingrich even though he violated the Logan Act by meeting with terrorist leader Arafat without the approval of the WH.

Lefty
04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
sec, but did Clinton ask Gingrich, speciffically, not to go as did Bush with Pelosi? Don't know, asking...

hcap
04-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Rahall: Pelosi Personally Told Bush Of Syria Trip And He Did Not Object

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/08/rahall-syria-trip/

...Despite the White House’s public rhetoric that the trip was a “bad idea,” President Bush “did not tell her not to go, nor did the State Department tell us not to go,” Rahall said. “The State Department was certainly aware of our traveling to Syria and our full itinerary. And there were State Department officials in every meeting that we had on this codel. So that is all hogwash as far as I’m concerned.”

Transcript:

CALLER: I am a Republican. And I thought under the Logan Act that Ms. Pelosi has committed a felony because under our Constitution, section 2 of the Constitution, that the president is the one who conducts — sends the people off, to conduct our foreign affairs. Now he told her he didn’t want her to go. That is a violation of the Logan Act. She should be hauled off in jail because if i was to commit a felony, i’d be hauled off and gone to jail.

RAHALL: First of all, that’s baloney. We were in violation of no u.s. laws. Second of all, the President did not tell her not to go, nor did the State Department tell us not to go. There were three Republican members of Congress in Damascus a few days before our trip. There was a Republican member of Congress in Damascus meeting with the President after our trip.

The Speaker had met with President Bush in the halls of the U.S. Capitol just the day before we left and mentioned to him that we were going to Syria. No response at all from the President. The State Department was certainly aware of our traveling to Syria and our full itinerary. And there were State Department officials in every meeting that we had on this codel. So that is all hogwash as far as I’m concerned.

Tom
04-09-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm glad you feel Pelosi should not be prosecuted. I feel the same way about Gingrich even though he violated the Logan Act by meeting with terrorist leader Arafat without the approval of the WH.

There he goes again.
He did not ay THAT, either. You can't resist putting words in people's mouths, can you? The truth is not like a jacket - it doens't come in all sizes to fit your needs. One size - either wear it or not.:lol:

Secretariat
04-09-2007, 03:15 PM
sec, but did Clinton ask Gingrich, speciffically, not to go as did Bush with Pelosi? Don't know, asking...

Newt spoke for himself on foreign policy a number of times to commies and terrorists.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30A1EF9395C0C7B8EDDAC0894D0494D 81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fC%2f Clinton%2c%20Bill

"House Speaker Newt Gingrich meets with Yasir Arafat in West Bank town of Ramallah; Gingrich is under sharp criticism from White House for interfering with its efforts to broker Israeli-Palestinian peace and for remarks considered insulting to Sec of State Madeleine K Albright; he and other members of his Congressional delegation take pains to avoid confrontation and to underscore their support for negotiating process

“Remember back in 1998, when the Clinton Administration was desperately trying to broker a Middle East peace agreement? The official US Position was to get Israel to give up more of the West Bank.

Speaker Gingrich took a Congressional delagation to Israel and made these comment in front of the Knesset in direct defiance of the US President:

We cannot allow non-Israelis to substitute their judgment for the generals that Israel has trusted with its security. If Israel is to take risks for peace, as she has often done in the past, it must be risks she accepts, not risks that are imposed upon her.

“And then there's Gingrich's 1997 trip to China:

Speaking with startling bluntness on an issue so delicate that diplomats have tiptoed around it for years, Newt Gingrich said today that he had warned China's top leaders that the United States would intervene militarily if Taiwan was attacked.

As he left for Tokyo after a three-day trip to China, Mr. Gingrich said he had made it absolutely clear how the United States would respond if such a military conflict arose.

Referring to his meetings with China's leaders, Mr. Gingrich said: ''I said firmly, 'We want you to understand, we will defend Taiwan. Period.'"

He also said, ''I think that they are more aware now that we would defend Taiwan if it were militarily attacked.''

Asked about Mr. Gingrich's statements, a Clinton Administration official in Washington said Mr. Gingrich had received briefings about American policy toward China, but that Mr. Gingrich ''was speaking for himself'' in his conversations with Chinese leaders.

which led to this...:

China admonished the United States today to speak with one voice on foreign policy and accused Newt Gingrich of making ''improper'' statements on Washington's commitment to defend Taiwan from any military attack by the mainland.

The criticism was made by the Foreign Ministry spokesman, Shen Guofang, who earlier this week had expressed basic satisfaction with remarks made by Mr. Gingrich, the Speaker of the House, during a three-day visit to China.

The visit followed Vice President Al Gore's first trip to Beijing. Both men spoke on issues of contention between Washington and Beijing, but Mr. Gingrich's remarks were noteworthy for their directness and for exceeding the normal State Department formulations on American commitments to Taiwan.

China's decision to criticize Mr. Gingrich came after he traveled to Taiwan on Wednesday and met with President Lee Teng-hui.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2007/04/05/gingrich_china/index.html”

Enough of this.

Tom
04-09-2007, 03:42 PM
So, are you condeming Newt's actions?
IF you are, then are you condeming Bin Losi's SAME actions too?

Not enough quite yet.

Snag
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Sec, Do you really think one dem equals two Republicans?

PaceAdvantage
04-10-2007, 03:13 AM
The Speaker had met with President Bush in the halls of the U.S. Capitol just the day before we left and mentioned to him that we were going to Syria. No response at all from the President. The State Department was certainly aware of our traveling to Syria and our full itinerary. And there were State Department officials in every meeting that we had on this codel. So that is all hogwash as far as I’m concerned.

Hah! They just happened to walk past each other in the halls of Congress and she just HAPPENED to mention it in passing....this story just keeps getting better and better....

I didn't realize such informality existed at the highest levels of government.

Secretariat
04-10-2007, 03:52 AM
So, are you condeming Newt's actions?
IF you are, then are you condeming Bin Losi's SAME actions too?

Not enough quite yet.

No, I'm not condemning Newt's or Pelosi's actions. Each has served as the Speaker of the House, and if they think they can gather information that is useful in informing foreign policy I've no problem with it. Had the President or State Department specifically asked Pelosi NOT to go, she wouldn't have went as Jimmy Carter didn't go when asked not to. Newt pushed the line, but this stuff is petty. Logan Act? Give me a break. THe man the act was created for wasn't even convicted under it.

Tom, you're getting bent out of shape over the most trival of things. Logan ACt? We've got real problems in Iraq. The Iraq Study Group under Baker and Hamilton recommended diplomacy with Iraq's neighbors. Does it hurt to see if there is a window that route? Or do you beleive it "emboldens" the enemy???
The famous "emboldening" of the enemy philosophy.

Tom
04-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Like it or not, the country must speak with on e voice - the President's. HE is elected by all the people, not just on state or district as congress is. The constitution is clear on which branch is responsible for foreign affairs.

There is no common ground when it comes to terroists. Iran and Syria cannot be trusted on any level at all. They are terror sponsering nations.

wes
04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Perhaps we will soon find out what is in "BITCHES BREW" !

wes

skate
04-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Well, we won't have to waste money on a blindfold, we'll use the one she's wearing. :eek: :D

Hey, we could use the same blindfolds used by 'lightly' and 'secism'.