PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia and racing

DJofSD
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Two threads prompted me to take a look in Wikipedia for what had been created in the repository about handicapping and T'bred racing -- people, horses, places, handicapping, etc.

While there was entries for horses like Sunday Silence and Barbaro and the more notable racing venues, there definitely seemed to be a dearth of entries about the people. Sure, there's entries for Bob Baffert and Charley Whittingham but those are sparsed compared to the aforementioned entries.

And the handicappers, system designers, the luminaries like Huey Mahl, forget about it! Yes, Andy Beyer is there but I would have expected a bit more about him and the speed figures.

So, while we might not all agree with each other about people like Mahl, Sartin, Purdy and others, these people who were instrumental in the current state of T'bred handicapping have nothing to document their contributions.

JimG
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
When it comes to racing, handicappers always take a back seat to owners, trainers, jockeys, and horses. That's the way it is.

Greyfox
04-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't be too hard on Wikipedia.
It's an open - line free encyclopedia that almost anyone can contribute to and almost anyone can edit. Unfortunately, sometimes some of the contributions are wrong for that very reason.
If you guys feel strongly about changes in the horse racing parts
just "go for it." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Introduction

If you really want Sartin, Mahl, and others in there, the doors open.

AwolAtPA
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
If you really want Sartin, Mahl, and others in there, the doors open.

great point GreyFox,

What if everyone (or say Half) of the folks on this forum would create just one entry a month about Horse racing?

so, whichever is your passion for something documented about Horse racing, your appreciation for handicappers, owners, trainers, jockeys, and horses would be recorded in Wipedia.

now, maybe I will even take this project off my back burner.
yup, I have not created on yet!!

Disclaimer: I am not connected to Wipedia

duane

Greyfox
04-04-2007, 05:41 PM
What if everyone (or say Half) of the folks on this forum would create just one entry a month about Horse racing?

duane

Good point AwolAtPA.
Somehow though I think if the folks from this forum started contributing to wikipedia about horse racing, they'd soon be turning it
into war and political issues. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Good point AwolAtPA.
Somehow though I think if the folks from this forum started contributing to wikipedia about horse racing, they'd soon be turning it
into war and political issues. :lol:

Not funny. And not true.