PDA

View Full Version : DOS Handicapping program

MitchS
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I happened to recieve a handicapping program that was programmed in DOS :eek: . I've never run anything in DOS before. I just can't figure out how to install this thing :bang:.

INSTALLATION;

Installation is easy :lol:, well nothings quite that easy for me.... After exiting Windows and entering DOS or emulation mode for XP

Click "Start">"Programs">Accessories">"Command Pompt"

The c:\screen is presented (DOS or emulation mode)

Insert the CD into drive "D"

Type "setup" press enter (EX: c:\setup.bat)

A directory (folder) called "INDEX" will be created and all the program and test files will be loaded.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I'm running XP. I opened up the command prompt. Put in the CD. I first tried typing "setup" and that dident work. I got a window that came up saying go to control panel. I then tried entering c:\setup.bat, pressed enter and got another error window something about the path not being recongnized?

If anyones familiar with DOS and or the instructions above. I just can't seem to get this thing installed? Any suggestions besides burning this CD?

Thanks,
M

headhawg
04-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Mitch,

Try substituting the CD drive letter (d:?, e:?) in place of c:\. If you browse the CD there should be a file called setup.exe or setup.bat or something. Otherwise, this won't work either as it won't find the file or filepath.

An alternative would be to create a folder named INDEX and manually copy the files from the cd over to it. The downside to this method is if there should be other folders created as well that the program needs. You could read the setup.bat file (or post the contents here) to see what it's doing when it's executed.

HH

MitchS
04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks HH. I figured it out finally :) .

JustRalph
04-02-2007, 04:36 PM
that decrepit old DOS rears its ugly head once again............... :lol:

I remember when knowing DOS could get you a decent job.......... :lol:

ranchwest
04-02-2007, 05:41 PM
that decrepit old DOS rears its ugly head once again............... :lol:

I remember when knowing DOS could get you a decent job.......... :lol:

In my case, it still does. ;)

JustRalph
04-02-2007, 07:25 PM
In my case, it still does. ;)

I am considering Texas.........for a move in the future. Keep the Double Dots rolling........... :lol:

ranchwest
04-02-2007, 09:56 PM
I am considering Texas.........for a move in the future. Keep the Double Dots rolling........... :lol:

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.

socantra
04-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.

Sorry, I tried to resist all afternoon, but I can't...............

I WAS born in Texas, but I got out as fast as I could.

socantra...

K9Pup
04-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Sorry, I tried to resist all afternoon, but I can't...............

I WAS born in Texas, but I got out as fast as I could.

socantra...

And you picked Oklahoma??????? wow.

ranchwest
04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
And you picked Oklahoma??????? wow.

That's the purpose of the Red River. :)

DJofSD
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
That's the purpose of the Red River.

And what about the Rio Grande?

ranchwest
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
And what about the Rio Grande?

A lot of people want to cross the Rio Grande. Very few cross the Red River by choice (more than once) -- you get on the side you want and you stay. :)

gjones6794
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
The best view of Oklahoma I ever had was in the rear view mirror when I was coming home to Texas. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Hook em Horns!

ranchwest
04-04-2007, 10:47 PM
The best view of Oklahoma I ever had was in the rear view mirror when I was coming home to Texas. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Hook em Horns!

Did you hear about the Tech Red Raider who moved to Oklahoma? Raised the average IQ in two states.

witchdoctor
04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Why doesn't Texas fall in to the Gulf of Mexico?

Because Oklahoma sucks