PDA

View Full Version : WTO and online betting

traynor
03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Quote from today's New York Times:
<snip>To avoid the penalties, the United States government would have to either permit Americans to gamble over foreign-based sites or eliminate exceptions for off-track betting on horses, including wagers over the Internet, as permitted under the 1978 Interstate Horseracing Act. </snip>

Apparently the WTO takes exception with the exception--that the US can conduct it's own internet gambling, but prohibit "foreign-based sites" from conducting the same business.

Valuist
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I can understand why. Why should one industry be granted an exemption? I love racing and would not want to see it harmed but the exemption wouldn't make sense to an outsider. The logical solution? Don't go after the racing industry; allow US citizens to bet online w/offshore sites. But I guess that would ruin all family values, according to the right wingers who pushed this ridiculous bill.

mannyberrios
04-01-2007, 12:47 PM
If these online horseracing sites (youbet, TVG Brisbet, ect) allowed sports betting and the otb and the track, that would help.

TurfRuler
04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I am trying to be witty here. "What's good for the goose, is good for the gander." :p