PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping Library for Sale

Cesario!
03-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm decided I have too much handicapping knowledge in print. So, I'm going to sell a good part of my handicapping library. Most of these will appear on Ebay over the next month, but I'm more than happy to sell stuff privately here as well. Contact me via PM with your interest and I will send you a price -- I'm very reasonable and will give you a fair price depending on how many you buy.

Here's the list -- roughly put into groups...I'll give a big discount for buying a whole group:

PEDIGREE: (The most important factor in terms of value in younger horses -- I studied this area intensely and most of my profits derive from it.)

1. Understanding the Power of the X factor -- Marianna Hann (heart score -- essential for understanding breeding)
2. Pedigree Handicapping -- Lauren Stitch (wonderful for explaining the different sire lines and predicting the best surface and distance for youngsters)
3. Betting Maidens & Two-year Olds -- Dan Illman (great introduction to the field and a wonderful explanation of workout assessment)
4. Exploring Pedigree -- Mike Helm (learn how to look at all different types of races from a pedigree perspective)
5. Matriarchs: Great Mares of the 20th Century - Edward Bowen (don't discount the female line -- here's some profiles off the big ones)

FORM: (Second most important factor -- very misunderstood by the public.)

1. Thoroughbred Cycles -- Mark Cramer (Mark Cramer on form, enough said.)
2. Conditioning to Win -- Don Wagnor, Ed. (profiles of great training methods..about 30 years old, but still absolutely essential in learning to think like a trainer.)
3. How will your horse run today? -- William Scott (classic overview of form)
4. The Equine Athlete: New Horizons in Racehorse Conditioning -- Gary Wilson, DVM (understand what the trainers are doing when you handicap a race)

WAGERING: (Nothing else matters if you can't wager well)

1. Beat the Racetrack -- William T. Ziemba (Dr. Z's books about mastering the tote board.)
2. Money Secrets at the Racetrack -- Barry Meadow (Best exposition on overlay theory in print.)
3. How to make money in one day at the track -- Charles S. Romanelli (clever parlay strategies to massively increase your returns.)
4. Exotic Betting -- Steven Crist (Crist's exposition on all types of exotic wagering.)
5. Value Handicapping: The art of making your own line and identifying overlays -- Mark Cramer (Cramer steps you through the process of making lines.)
6. Six Secrets of Successful Betters -- Scatoni and Fornatale (wonderful interviews with top players -- maybe the best exposition on how to move from good handicapper to winning player.)

DRF ELEMENTS OF HANDICAPPING: (Selections from their very good introductory series)

1. The Power of Early Speed -- Steve Klein (Klein speed points help to predict who will go the fastest early)
2. Go for the Green: Turf Racing Made Easy -- Bill Heller (how to win at turf races -- essential for horizontal exotics.)
3. Off the Charts -- Nick Borg (looking deeper into results charts -- great for formulator 4 users.)
4. Speed to Spare -- Joe Cardello (advanced use of speed figures, especially relating to form.)
5. Handicapping Contest Handbook -- Noel Michaels (Learn about tournaments and how to start making money while competing.)

OVERVIEWS:

1. Betting Throughbreds -- Steven Davidowitz (Covers everything, including the best work on bet structuring in print.)
2. Ainsle's Complete Guide to Throughbread Racing -- Tom Ainsle (another great overview, filled with so many angles that still work.)
3. Handicapping for Bettor or Worse -- John Lindley (A bit rarer than the other, but just as good..more focused on trainer intent than any other introduction.)
4. Race Horse Handicapping -- Harry Lee (An old classic with lots of good knowledge.)
5. Winning at the Races -- William Quirin (his classic study of everything using a computer -- still valuable today.)

THE NEXT LEVEL: PACE, CLASS, AND BODY LANGUAGE: (These books are advanced treatments of already advanced subjects.)

1. Modern Pace Handicapping -- Tom Brohamer (Brohamer's classic is THE work on pace/sartin handicapping...even if you're not a Sartinista, you need to know this stuff.)
2. The Handicapper's Condition Book -- James Quinn (My favorite book -- learn how the class levels work and understand the different paths of different horses...you'll quickly learn how to spot a well-placed horse.)
3. The Best of Thoroughbread Handicapping -- James Quinn (Although he deals with lots of subjects here, all of them are addressed on a very high level -- a wonderful book.)
4. The Body Language of Horses -- Ainsle and Ledbetter (The only work in print devoted to spotting the ready horse...great way to decide to make a bet.)

RARE!:

1. Secrets of Professional Turf Betting -- Robert L. Bacon (The speculator's bible -- great angles and a insightful explanation of how to beat the public.)

BONUS!!!: I have a number of books that are about horse racing and being a horseplayer instead of handicapping. If you buy 5 books, I'll throw in one of these free! The selections are:

1. Scared Money -- Mark Cramer (Novel about being a horseplayer -- beautifully written.)
2. On Track/Off Track -- James Quinn (a potpurri of stuff with discussions of issues facing racing.)
3. Seabiscuit -- Laura Hillenbrand (Can't be a fan and not know this story.)
4. Horse of a different color -- Jim Squires (wonderful tale of becoming a breeder from the man who brought us Monarchos.)
5. Horseplayers: Life at the Track -- Ted McClelland (he spent a year playing the races and wrote a book about it)
6. Betting on Myself -- Steven Crist (Crist's autobiography)
7. Finished Lines -- Frank Scatoni, ed. (a selection of exquisite writing about horse racing.)
8. Horse Racing: The Golden Age at the Track -- Bert Morgan (a collection of stunning photographs of the sport we love.)

Cesario!
03-30-2007, 01:07 PM
"Form" Series has sold.

Thanks for all the interest!

Cesario!
03-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Sold books:

Secrets of Professional Turf Betting
Beat the Racetrack
The Body Language of Horses
Understanding the X factor
Six Secrets of Succesful Bettors

Dr Win
04-04-2007, 01:24 AM
I am late, here,
but, steel interesting,.............what is left if is……….. anyway??

Cesario!
04-05-2007, 09:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130095983100&rd=1&rd=1

First auction ends tomorrow.