PDA

View Full Version : New Ways

Handiman
03-27-2007, 09:47 PM
This may sound ridiculous, but do you think there are any new ways to look at pp's that haven't been done yet? Are there new discoveries out there that are waiting to be found that will unlock the mysteries of horse racing analysis to a further extent than has been reached so far?

Handi

the_fat_man
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
I bet they were asking the same kind of questions before Newton came along.

Sounds like we're desperately in need of a past performance CONCEPTUAL SHIFT.

Or, we could just resign ourselves to the fact that results are (usually) directly proportional to amount of effort/time put forth.

If Hooke had the math, the inverse square law would be his. Damn, that sucks.

46zilzal
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I think there are correlations in data that are as yet unexplored. In Sartin methodology, many of our members, including myself, have found many that had not be described previously.

Whenever I think it is all known, I look back at an old medical textbook and laugh out loud.

Jeff P
03-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I believe very strongly that watershed discoveries are still there waiting to be found. And my own experience tells me that the ability to actually make such discoveries is directly related to the amount of effort we as horseplayers put in.

-jp

ranchwest
03-27-2007, 10:58 PM
I think there's definitely a lot of ways to explore PP data and other information. I think there's ways to be creative and come up with information that is highly useful to the developer of the data presentation.

Still, I don't think there's any substitute for being able to interpret and utilize data that is available in an intuitive format.

The thought and the process are more important than the data.

DJofSD
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
available in an intuitive format.

ranchwest -- I dropped out from that thread, now you're going to tempt fate by having traynor declare you can only examine PP data using a cognitive process?

Pleeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee!

(BTW, I agree with you.)

betovernetcapper
03-27-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm one of those guys of a certain age who can only really see a race ususing the traditional DRF format. This would be fine but my software is The Capper and my data provider is HDW. So yesterday Gordon unvelied this great readable set of PPs. In the section that would normally show the leaders fractional times-it shows the horses HDW pace ratings for each point of call. In the section that might have the Beyer Rating it has the horses Cramer rating and next to that the Cramer rating of the winner.

ranchwest
03-27-2007, 11:56 PM
ranchwest -- I dropped out from that thread, now you're going to tempt fate by having traynor declare you can only examine PP data using a cognitive process?

Pleeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee!

(BTW, I agree with you.)

lol

That thread was about this definition of intuition:

A capacity for guessing accurately; sharp insight

In this thread, I'm referring to this definition:

immediate cognition

kenwoodallpromos
03-28-2007, 08:39 AM
I would take a look at the stats for races where there may be any "new" trends- like artificial turf or small fields- like you never handicapped before so you ONLY look without pre concieved notions. May turn out emphasis on certain old angles work..

DJofSD
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
In this thread, I'm referring to this definition:

immediate cognition

You mean when the winner jumps off the page?

ranchwest
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
You mean when the winner jumps off the page?

Well, maybe not the winner, necessarily.

For instance, some people are going to best grasp time as expressed in traditional minutes, seconds and part-seconds (I think some people are not good at math concepts and are challenged to deal with fifths rather than tenths or hundreths). Others are going to grasp time better with the minutes converted to seconds. Yet others are going to be better served dealing with speed/pace figures and ignoring time, per se.

That's the sort of thing I'm suggesting regarding immediate cognition. The elements that "trip your trigger".

For instance, on BRIS PP's. Do the power numbers help you? How about the data below the PP's? Does the bias information help? How about the early and late comparisons down at the bottom? Are those data layouts more powerful for you than the traditional PP layout?

I think that personalizing the data to match an individual's instinctive cognitive preferences is an area that has not been adequately explored.