PDA

View Full Version : "Voices of the Fallen"

DanG
03-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Newsweek ~ [April 2, 2007]

This is NOT meant to spark debate over the war in any shape or form. This is an attempt to put a face on just who is fighting this battle.

I switch from the news to talking via the internet to a solider who is serving and I see a complete disconnect with our nations understanding of the conflict. Far more eloquent than I Jon Meacham and Newsweek have a powerful issue [April 2, 2007] titled “Voices of the Fallen”.

Again…regardless of your position, I hope you get to read this issue.

Link to Newsweek… (BTW: I would post Meacham’s prelude to the issue, but I assume that would violate copy write)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17773294/site/newsweek/

JustRalph
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
War in the information age.

I wonder how the guys in WWII would have described it if they would have had email...........

46zilzal
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
The reaction to war by reasonable people never changes. They don't care of it.

cappoblanca
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Well now a popular site claims Bush has plans for attacking Iran and destroying its nuclear developing facilities. This is to occur the first week in April. In a last effort to salvage some "legacy" for his administration he has decided to destroy the training and research nuclear centers as well as create fear and awe into Iran's public. Has he even thought out the possibility of Holy War ramifications? :eek: :eek:
Check: www.rense.com/general75/bite.htm (http://www.rense.com/general75/bite.htm)

DanG
03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
War in the information age.

I wonder how the guys in WWII would have described it if they would have had email...........
It’s ironic (to me at least) is that you wrote “War in the information age”, because my reason for posting this is what I believe to be exactly the opposite.

Your right…We should be extremely aware of what is happening, but as a whole were not.

When our President in WWII held nation wide meetings he asked the American people to get maps of the regions he was about to talk about. Maps were sold out in this country by the next day.

There are MANY letters of record from WWII. The soldiers including relatives of mine wrote very often. Probably more often than they do now.

I’m not really sure what your point is.

skate
03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
i didnt get to read your article, so im not sure either, but...

it would be hard to imagine in a war zone that anyone would write home saying "how wonderful this war is".

Reporters, imo, do a great job wth language. i find it , more and more boring to try and follow there points. beause , imo, in order to make a living, they (reporter) must hipe the story.

ex. i go back to the M-1 rifle, a very good rifle. replaced by the m-14, then the m-16, these fifles were far superior to the M-1, yet we had to listen to all the negatory reports.

today, same old, same old.

DanG
03-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Reporters, imo, do a great job wth language. i find it , more and more boring to try and follow there points. beause , imo, in order to make a living, they (reporter) must hipe the story.

Agreed…

As they have their own agenda…

As do I, yourself, Newsweek, Fox News, CNN…etc…etc…etc...

That’s why I enjoy talking to David (a 43yo soldier in Iraq who is a friend of the family) every couple weeks to get someone’s perspective that is living it. That was my only intention in posting this. These are letters from actual soldiers.

I to am sick of the reporting, or lack there of. Did Newsweek edit these letters for dramatic effect? Not in content as they are authentic, but certainly they did in mass because that’s what all humans are coded to do.

JustRalph
03-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I’m not really sure what your point is.

Dan, are you trying to pick a fight? Lighten up..........

This link you provide includes high quality audio and video like never before seen from a war zone. It includes emails that are easily archived and saved, duplicated and passed on. Thus my comment, "war in the information age"

Contrast the descriptions of war in this piece, audio, emails and video, to those that were saved from WWII and you find a much more eloquent soldier who has the benefit of digital technology to aid his communications. I don't think you can compare the two. At least not in quality of the communications and the effect it has on us.

The nature and technology of this war is not like anything before. It all speaks to the technology of today, and so does my comment. This stuff is very high quality and very far reaching due to the medium in which it is presented. These communications are on a completely different level. They also come with the ability to edit them in the visual range. Very hard to edit a soldiers comments in a letter from WWII. They were what they were. The images from the letters are interpreted by the reader and formed on their own. Video and audio linked together is a much broader technology than that in the 40's. As obvious as that seems, it does make a difference in the effect (or is it affect?)

Today you can take an hour of video and cut chunks out of it and do whatever you want with it. It all depends on your perspective. This couldn't be done with the actual words from a letter written in WWII unless you actually perpetrated a fraud of some sort. It is a different age.....Bill Gates and the like have had a profound effect on the world as we know it. the age of youtube and others. Everybody is a publisher now.......or can be with a few hundred dollars in cheap computer equipment.......no matter their agenda................

anyway, thanks for the link

Tom
03-26-2007, 04:07 PM
As distasteful as it was, the TV evening news coverage of the blody battles and carnage in Viet Nam served a purpose, IMHO. Everyone needs to understand what we send our people to face everyday. I have no doubt if it were shown again like that, many who support the war would change thier minds.

But no one should support a war without complete understanding of what pure hell it is. And what our loved ones have to endure.

46zilzal
03-26-2007, 05:10 PM
As distasteful as it was, the TV evening news coverage of the blody battles and carnage in Viet Nam served a purpose, IMHO. Everyone needs to understand what we send our people to face everyday. I have no doubt if it were shown again like that, many who support the war would change thier minds.

Yes the same idiots who watch American Idol and Big Brother would readily be able to tell the difference from those productions and real life. Blood to most of that crowd is simply a red liquid.

DanG
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
[JustRalph] Dan, are you trying to pick a fight? Lighten up..........
Where did that come from?

This link you provide includes high quality audio and video like never before seen from a war zone. It includes emails that are easily archived and saved, duplicated and passed on. Thus my comment, "war in the information age"

Contrast the descriptions of war in this piece, audio, emails and video, to those that were saved from WWII and you find a much more eloquent soldier who has the benefit of digital technology to aid his communications. I don't think you can compare the two. At least not in quality of the communications and the effect it has on us.

The nature and technology of this war is not like anything before. It all speaks to the technology of today, and so does my comment. This stuff is very high quality and very far reaching due to the medium in which it is presented. These communications are on a completely different level. They also come with the ability to edit them in the visual range. Very hard to edit a soldiers comments in a letter from WWII. They were what they were. The images from the letters are interpreted by the reader and formed on their own. Video and audio linked together is a much broader technology than that in the 40's. As obvious as that seems, it does make a difference in the effect (or is it affect?)

Today you can take an hour of video and cut chunks out of it and do whatever you want with it. It all depends on your perspective. This couldn't be done with the actual words from a letter written in WWII unless you actually perpetrated a fraud of some sort. It is a different age.....Bill Gates and the like have had a profound effect on the world as we know it. the age of youtube and others. Everybody is a publisher now.......or can be with a few hundred dollars in cheap computer equipment.......no matter their agenda................

anyway, thanks for the link
Anyway, good post and I largely agree with what you wrote.

DanG
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM

But no one should support a war without complete understanding of what pure hell it is. And what our loved ones have to endure.
Excellent points Tom! :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes the same idiots who watch American Idol and Big Brother would readily be able to tell the difference from those productions and real life. Blood to most of that crowd is simply a red liquid.

Yup, now folks who actually watch TV for some ENTERTAINMENT are idiots.

Is life supposed to be hardcore seriousness 24/7?

Lighten up.

46zilzal
03-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Yup, now folks who actually watch TV for some ENTERTAINMENT are idiots.

Is life supposed to be hardcore seriousness 24/7?

Lighten up.
Point is that they have a hard time telling the difference between a video game and real life so if the latter is presented, how would they know, or for that matter care?

JustRalph
03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Point is that they have a hard time telling the difference between a video game and real life so if the latter is presented, how would they know, or for that matter care?

What bullshit!............

You are so typical of the elitist left. You think you are smarter than others and you assume that someone who watches popular television shows is an idiot.

You know, I watch idol. My wife watches Big Brother, (I hate it) and you think that disqualifies us from having an intelligent opinion or understanding of complex issues? You take the cake sometimes. What an ass you are..........

46zilzal
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
You are so typical of the elitist left. You think you are smarter than others and you assume that someone who watches popular television shows is an idiot.
I wouldn't even begin to try and guess their eduational level either...Case in point.
THE GREAT thing about reactionary thought that is is so BLACK and WHITE! If you have an inkling of an idea somewhat like others then ALL the traits of those "others" (the xenophobic point of view so very often expressed with your authorship) are of course yours as well without every knowing the individual!! Full of crap

here's help with that cake too;http://www.cakesbyrobert.com/cakeindex.html

Racer98
03-26-2007, 08:29 PM
ELITIST LEFT?!?!?

Who's the ones with the oil companies? You know, like the one that makes more money a year than Ecuador? Croatia? The second largest company in the world that gets gas for about 80 cents and charges $2.50 a gallon? There is nothing elitist about being poor. The middle & lower class is getting screwed, as only the top gets tax cuts.

And no, you still have an opinion, Ralph. We'll listen to it just the same as you do ours. And then flame it into oblivion.

And what's wrong with comedy? That's entertainment better than Idol, in my opinion.

may the flaming begin...

PaceAdvantage
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Only problem is that flaming, especially among newbie posters, is frowned upon by management, even in off-topic.

JustRalph
03-26-2007, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't even begin to try and guess their eduational level either...Case in point.
THE GREAT thing about reactionary thought that is is so BLACK and WHITE! If you have an inkling of an idea somewhat like others then ALL the traits of those "others" (the xenophobic point of view so very often expressed with your authorship) are of course yours as well without every knowing the individual!! Full of crap

here's help with that cake too;http://www.cakesbyrobert.com/cakeindex.html

Wow! As smart as you pretend to be, you sure don't put a paragraph together very well.

How about I jump out the window and pull my rip cord..........this thread is going down and I am not going to ride it all the way............... :bang:

Notice, I jumped out the window before pulling the rip cord this time :lol:

Tom
03-27-2007, 09:42 AM
ELITIST LEFT?!?!?

... The second largest company in the world that gets gas for about 80 cents and charges $2.50 a gallon? There is nothing elitist about being poor. The middle & lower class is getting screwed, as only the top gets tax cuts.

Taxes make up more than profit on a gallon of gas, ans since the congress is dem controlled, go bithch to THEM about high prices - they have the power to lower it more than the oil companies.

Did YOU not get a tax rebate check? Do YOU not pay the new lower rates?
Of course you don't get as much back as rich people- you don't put as much in. You bet $2 to show and I bet $50 win, you wanna whine that only the big bettors make money?????:lol:

Lefty
03-27-2007, 12:08 PM
crappo, the last line of your post #4 indicates you blvd the report. I hasten to remind you in the first week of April we have APRIL FOOLs day.

Racer98
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, goodbye. It was a good thread.

Since I won't be here, explain why the middle class is falling deeper and deeper into debt to everyone, won't you, Tom?

Maybe political threads just start out neutral and go bad after maybe a couple days. You Know. Like Cheese.

Tom
03-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Trying to take it further off topic, eh?

DanG
03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Well, goodbye. It was a good thread.
Maybe political threads just start out neutral and go bad after maybe a couple days. You Know. Like Cheese.
I’m not picking on you Racer-98, but, that’s the irony here…

This was NEVER meant to be a “political thread” in anyway.