PDA

View Full Version : Got what you need Barclay

the_fat_man
03-25-2007, 04:06 AM
So, I'm up, unable to sleep, cause of all that chocolate ice cream I had earlier, and decided to tackle Layden's article about Tagg and NoCOUNT.

On the day after the FOY, as Layden would tell it, Tagg was determined to figure out "what caused Nobiz Like Shobiz to lug in during final furlong of the race, and to correct the problem before he runs again on April 7 in the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct in New York, his final Derby prep race."

2 possibilities emerged:

1) "I had an extra strong bit on him in that race," says Tagg. "When he hit the stretch and got into the bit, he might have pulled back a little. I'm going back to his regular bit."

2) "Maybe it was all the people and noise when he came into the stretch. Some young horses get startled by the noise and they try to run away from it. I'm not sure. He never does it in the morning."

Number 2, a JAWDROPPER for the FATmAN:bang:, "looks more likely, and Tagg knows it" according to Layden.

Now, it's hard to determine here who's head is deeper up his ass, Tagg's or Layden's. We know Layden in clueless but Tagg?

I don't follow the game too closely BUT it's been apparent from the start that NoCOUNT can't run straight in the stretch. He's never run straight in any of his 5 races. At the point when he changes leads, he DUCKS in --whether subtly or pronounced. He tried to lay all over Pegasus Wind in the Champagne, came close to obliterating the speed in the Remsen when he took the lead with that bigtime burst, and came in again in the FOY but couldn't get to the rail cause Adore the Gold was in his way. (Cornelio fought him off and forced him out into Scat Daddy before he was able to straighten him out late.)
This horse loves to run on the rail. But this is not to say that he runs straight when on the rail but rather that he tries to lug in while on the rail. More precisely he lugs in to get to the rail so he can try to lug in some more. He's badly schooled.

Even in the races he's won easily, the maiden win and the Holy Bull (as well as the Remsen) he's always made it a point to get to the rail and scare the shit out of Cornelio. Cornelio has to fight him off the rail. Reminds me of Bailey's ride on Bernardini. I was wary of him in the Champagne cause I just didn't like the way he came home ---even though he won for fun.

Now, if I can see this, hard to believe that Tagg was oblivious to it. But it must be the case cause he's NOW trying to solve the problem.

This can't be for real.

JPinMaryland
03-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Dunno about FatMan but if next race equipment lists: "NoBiz: Earmuffs." I am pounding him. :D

Funny no one ever thought of putting blinkers on SweetNOrthernSaint, this horse really couldnt focus in the stretch. Despite what Fatman says I got off that horse before the derby.

Funny enuf, I am watching a review of the 2006 derby from last year's Preakness show and Moss shows a replay where SNS actually stumbled just as they hit the stretch in the derby. Dunno if anybody mentioned that last year, horse didnt seem to hit anything, just sort of stumbled. Another oddity from an odd horse.

the_fat_man
03-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Dunno about FatMan but if next race equipment lists: "NoBiz: Earmuffs." I am pounding him. :D

Funny no one ever thought of putting blinkers on SweetNOrthernSaint, this horse really couldnt focus in the stretch. Despite what Fatman says I got off that horse before the derby.

Funny enuf, I am watching a review of the 2006 derby from last year's Preakness show and Moss shows a replay where SNS actually stumbled just as they hit the stretch in the derby. Dunno if anybody mentioned that last year, horse didnt seem to hit anything, just sort of stumbled. Another oddity from an odd horse.

SNS is just about the doofiest horse out there. As I mentioned once before, he'd get into trouble in a match race with a late scratch. There's a future for him beating nothing horses on small(er) tracks.

bobphilo
03-25-2007, 08:10 PM

SNS staggered from fatigue after a typical ride from Desormeaux - whom the Fat Man aptly describes as "congenitally inpatient". He hustled the horse into an extended drive after his bad break.
Once again, Kenny D "mistook" the quarter pole for the finish line. :bang:

Bob

JPinMaryland
03-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I know Ive watched that race 20 times, more or less. But his Preakness and the Wood were goofy also and Im less inclined to believe it was the premature move but rather just a goofy horse. But that stumble I saw, I dont remember it and maybe that was the problem there. MOre food for thought. Seems there are always more questions than answers.