PDA

View Full Version : Place Pick All Wager

philsfan07
03-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Is this simply a sucker bet??

I have dabbled with it just to keep interested on a few Santa Anita cards, but I always wondered if it's simply a horrible sucker bet.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I am one that doesn't feel it to be a sucker bet, as it is a useful tool as well as a wagering vehicle. I find it to be a decent barometer of my handicapping perspective on any given day, and have cashed 11 tickets on the play.

I never bet more than $16, as I feel this amount is enough, and I don't feel that the wager is worth more than this investment.

Back on the opening Friday night at Hollypark in 2005 I hit a Pik4 for over $11,000 and turned around the next morning to play a $16 Place Pik9. I could have played more, as the coffers were full, but this is the wager I like. I swept the Pik9 pool that day for over $21,000!

When you are on, you are on. The adage "you need to make a bet everyday, because you could be walking around lucky and not even know it" can be viewed in a similar way with the Pik9. Your perspective could be spot on, and you don't even have to win the photo.

At the very least, you can play a $1 ticket, and see how you looked at the card as a whole. You can play a lot of future tickets if you're right one day.

misscashalot
03-24-2007, 07:05 PM

I have dabbled with it just to keep interested on a few Santa Anita cards, but I always wondered if it's simply a horrible sucker bet.

No!!! 1) Its a fun bet 2) If bet right (bridge jumpers special with 5 horses of less) the most you can lose is $6. Every time it comes up here at NYRA races (maybe 2 or 3 times a month) I do it, and am very much ahead.

misscashalot
03-24-2007, 07:08 PM
sorry wrong interpretation

Premier Turf Club
03-24-2007, 08:00 PM

I have a buddy in North California, OPM from the HTR board, that has made a killing with this wager. If you can find a couple of races with weak faves that finish out of the top 2 the payoffs can be very rewarding. The biggest problem is it's a hard bet for ADWs to code for. Youbet can only take it under certain conditions (I think when there are 9 or fewer races) and at some ADWs you can't bet it at all.

Indulto
03-24-2007, 08:53 PM
No!!! 1) Its a fun bet 2) If bet right (bridge jumpers special with 5 horses of less) the most you can lose is $6. Every time it comes up here at NYRA races (maybe 2 or 3 times a month) I do it, and am very much ahead.Sure beats the Grand Slam! :jump:

Steve 'StatMan'
03-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Place Pick 9/Pick All, seems like a decent bet to me. I don't bet it much, since I usually don't have even close to 9 races handicapped in advance.

Place Pick 9/All - not a sucker bet in my opinion (although suckers are welcome to bet it).

OTOH the Win Pick 9/All - IMO is the cruelest bet I've ever seen and made the mistake of making one or two serious wagers on (and only because the carryover/guaranteed pool was massive, and because I frankly wasn't all that well at the time.) Only for those with massive betting bankrolls/teams and the single combination fun players who are glad too dispose of the minimum $1 or $2, and would just waste it on something else later.

rrpic6
03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
The Pick/Place all bet can be fun, frustrating and, sometimes, very profitable. I've gotten away from the bet recently, and don't know why. About 6 years ago, I'd play it a few times a week, with some very good results. Its interesting to try and guess what the payoff might be.
One 2 week stretch in 2001 still sticks in my craw. Some friends would chip in every Sunday at the Mountaineer OTB to play the Pick/Place at Santa Anita. One Sunday I got there late and two tickets were already put together. I bought 25% of one of the tickets, and zero% of the other. The ticket I don't get in hits for about 30K, the only winning ticket sold.
2 weeks later, I make a $64.00 ticket and let 3 other guys get in for a 4 way share. That ticket ends up being the only winning ticket sold, it paid about 32K. So I end up with $8,000 instead of close to 40K.

chrisl
03-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I have never heard of this bet, could someone explain this. Thank you

Pace Cap'n
03-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I have never heard of this bet, could someone explain this. Thank you

Pick a horse to finish EITHER first or second in each and every race on the card. The ticket with the most correct wins. Usually it is necessary to hit every race to cash a ticket. It will occaisionally pay for 8 of 9 on a nine race card.

The cost is figured the same as a pick-6, only on a $1 basis.

ranchwest
03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Sure beats the Grand Slam! :jump:

I've been hanicapping for over 30 years, but this one is new on me. What's a Grand Slam?

Pace Cap'n
03-25-2007, 11:34 PM
I've been hanicapping for over 30 years, but this one is new on me. What's a Grand Slam?

At NYRA, take races 5, 6, 7, 8. Pick a horse to show in the first three, and pick the winner of race 8. It's a $2 bet, and usually seems to pay around $40 or $50.

ranchwest
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
At NYRA, take races 5, 6, 7, 8. Pick a horse to show in the first three, and pick the winner of race 8. It's a $2 bet, and usually seems to pay around $40 or $50.

Thanks, I've been seeing Grand Slam on the wagering menu and didn't know what it was.

Pace Cap'n
03-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Not until I had written out that reply did I see where they got the term "Grand Slam". Hit three bloop singles, then hit the big one...

BlueShoe
03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Not a bad bet,can on occasion offer some value.Like any bet,can be very frustrating at times.The 3-5 shot that you single in the first or last leg runs 3rd and you hit all the other races and get nothing in return is not uncommon.Since this player has been cursed by seconditis for years,perhaps should pay more attention to this wager.

orrug2k
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I love the pick all. I have hit it many times and just missed a single ticket for 30k, Lots of times I have it multiple times because my horses are in the exacta. It pays a grand when you think its gonna pay 200. 20% takeout over10 races would be something like 2 percent for the whole day. I go thru and key gomez and espinosa on all thier mounts first then play around them. They get live longshots which can explode the payoff. Watch how often one of them is first or second each race. With the new kid now, hes going to get some longshots.

Vinman
11-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Since Del Mar is opening today as the only major track now offering the Place Pick All wager, I thought it might be a good idea to give this long dormant thread a bump to elicit some helpful hints on playing it.

It's been quite a long time since I last played it. Hawthorne had a 20 cent version a few years ago but they did away with it. Del Mar's buck minimum is a bit steep if you're looking to include, for example, all the firsters on today' Dmr card.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this wager....mostly hate.....lol. I once came to the conclusion that the Place Pick All is the biggest sucker bet ever to come down the pike. I'm willing to give it another shot.

Would love to hear any opinions on this wager, including any "thrill of victory" or "agony of defeat" war stories. Even better.....any "best practices" in approaching it, including minimum or maximum bets, what to do about firsters, depth of coverage in sprints vs turf routes, when to single, etc

Let the games begin!

Vinman

Robert Fischer
11-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Since Del Mar is opening today as the only major track now offering the Place Pick All wager, I thought it might be a good idea to give this long dormant thread a bump to elicit some helpful hints on playing it.

It's been quite a long time since I last played it. Hawthorne had a 20 cent version a few years ago but they did away with it. Del Mar's buck minimum is a bit steep if you're looking to include, for example, all the firsters on today' Dmr card.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this wager....mostly hate.....lol. I once came to the conclusion that the Place Pick All is the biggest sucker bet ever to come down the pike. I'm willing to give it another shot.

Would love to hear any opinions on this wager, including any "thrill of victory" or "agony of defeat" war stories. Even better.....any "best practices" in approaching it, including minimum or maximum bets, what to do about firsters, depth of coverage in sprints vs turf routes, when to single, etc

Let the games begin!

Vinman

Interesting.

I haven't looked at this wager in a long time. Have to re-learn the bet rules.

Any idea what the takeout is?

Vinman
11-09-2018, 01:58 PM
There were two single ticket payouts during the 2018 Dmr summer meet, $29,210.40 in a pool of $38,240 on opening day, 7/18 and $24,093.40 in a pool of $31,572 on 7/26. Dividing the payout by the pool produces a takeout figure of .2368 in both cases.

Here's another number.....$4,863 is the average payout for this wager for the 50 racecards comprising the 2017 Fall and 2018 Summer meets at Dmr.

9 of the top 10 payoffs came during the 2018 Summer meet. Big dropoff from the 10th highest of $12,111.70 on 8/25/18 to 11th of $6,998.10 on 11/17/17.

The 10 lowest payoffs ranged from $192 to $379.50. Three of the lowest four were for 7 of 8 correct. One was for having 8 of 9 correct.

In 6 of 27 eight race cards, the payoff was for 7 of 8.

In 7 of 15 nine race cards, the payoff was for 8 of 9. One other was for 7 of 9....$413.

In 4 of 11 ten race cards, the payoff was for 9 of 10,

The aforementioned $24,093.40 payoff occurred on an 8 race card. The opening day $29,210.40 gem was a 10 for 10.

Vinman

Vinman
11-09-2018, 02:22 PM
For last year's Fall Dmr meet only, the average Place Pick All payoff was $2,882. Remove the top two payoffs of $17,095.60 on 11/24 and $6,998.10 on 11/17 and the average payoff for the Fall meet dips to $1,355.

The other "PPA" payoffs for the Dmr fall meet that exceeded 4 figures:

$3,406 on 11/11
$3,114.70 on 11/26
$2,929.20 on 11/19
$2,951.50 on 11/23

Next two highest were $867 & $857. The remaining 6 payoffs for Fall 2017 ranged from $450.20 down to $216.10.

Vinman

ReplayRandall
11-09-2018, 02:35 PM
When constructing a ticket for the $1 Place Pick-all, I find only 8 race cards to be doable for a $64 investment. This requires to 2 singles and the rest are doubles. Due to the unique aspect of the marine layer having an impact on the bias of the racing surface, I find picking the best early speed and the best closer for my doubles. That way, you're always in the hunt, no matter when the marine layer burns off or stays all day.....BTW, the less turf races, the better.

Vinman
11-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Today's opening day "PPA" payoff came back $2,172.50 for 7 of 8. Any live ticket going into the finale got fried when 3/5 'single' Norwegian started backing up turning for home, which Trevor, as usual, picked up on before it became obvious.

Vinman

rrpic6
11-10-2018, 07:33 AM

Let the games begin!

Vinman

Back in my Prime Betting years, I loved this wager. In the late 90's and early 2000's I concentrated on So Cal daily. I did have the only ticket once, a $64 play, that paid about 26K. I should start to try again, especially when I get Dq'd from 1st to 2nd (#4 Excellent Sunset) like in the 7th race on Opening Day at Del Mar 11-9. :bang:

RR