PDA

View Full Version : scott lake out of ny

NY BRED
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
looking to downsize, better purses at Pha

:jump: :lol:

anyone looking to buy the Ben Franklin Bridge??

jma
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Funny thing is, Lake is 6 for 65 at Philly this year. (He was suspended for the early part of the year, but his replacement trainer, Steven Krebs, put up similar numbers.) This is the worst I can remember Lake doing at Philly, at least since he began his run of great years there. I guess there's any number of ways to look at this...I have a feeling he won't be under 10% for long though.

alysheba88
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Stricter testing in NY

Ron
03-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I can't imagine him not running at Saratoga....and no, there are not better purses at Pha.

alysheba88
03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Am pretty sure he wasnt in top 20 at Saratoga last year. Doesnt win there much

john del riccio
03-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Stricter testing in NY

All I can say is that there have been many many many horses that enter his barn and move WAY up and leave his barn and move WAY down.

I don't think he is like the "old school " Dutrow who could rub his hands on a horses legs and with his eyes closed say "its a little fuller than it was last week".

I won't miss him.

John

TonyK@HSH
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
All I can say is that there have been many many many horses that enter his barn and move WAY up and leave his barn and move WAY down.

I don't think he is like the "old school " Dutrow who could rub his hands on a horses legs and with his eyes closed say "its a little fuller than it was last week".

I won't miss him.

John

John,

I really appreciate your input on this board as it's always insightful and well thought out. But I can shed a little light on Scott. Scott can certainly hold his own in the horsemanship realm. I've known Scott for nearly 20 years and even traded a few horses with him through the claim box. In my opinion, Scott's horses generally look good and healthy. I've watched Scott under a horse and he knows what to do. That noted, I believe his biggest asset is his 'eye'. Scott has an uncanny ability to watch a horse train or run and determine if the horse will fit into his program.
But with horses stabled a 5-6 different tracks Scott must rely on his assistants. He simply can't be at all tracks at the same time. Scott never fit into NY as he prefers to train hard knocking claimers. He cut his teeth on this type of runner and has had his biggest successes with this type of horse. Scott nows has a family and I think he simply wants to focus on what he does best. Train claimers.

TonyK

misscashalot
03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
.... Scott nows has a family and I think he simply wants to focus on what he does best. Train claimers.

TonyK

What you say about him is fine. However immediately upon New York implementing the detention barn, Scotty went south. Coincidence?
PHA has no such hinderance for him to cope with. Watch and see if
his win % improves dramatically.

Matt

njcurveball
03-23-2007, 10:36 PM
My stats show Lake is 17% winners over 104 races at Aqueduct.

I have to agree his exit has more to do with the detention barn than the Winners Circle.

misscashalot
03-23-2007, 10:39 PM
My stats show Lake is 17% winners over 104 races at Aqueduct.

I have to agree his exit has more to do with the detention barn than the Winners Circle.

What was his win% at NYRA for the 6 months prior to detention barn implementation?

What was his NYRA win % after?

njcurveball
03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
17% winners at AQU in the last 365 days.

Around 11% at BEL with 100 starters or so.

Around 12% at SAR with 40 or so starters.

Nothing great, nothing really bad.

I dont have a clue about detention barn stats.

john del riccio
03-24-2007, 06:40 AM
John,

I really appreciate your input on this board as it's always insightful and well thought out. But I can shed a little light on Scott. Scott can certainly hold his own in the horsemanship realm. I've known Scott for nearly 20 years and even traded a few horses with him through the claim box. In my opinion, Scott's horses generally look good and healthy. I've watched Scott under a horse and he knows what to do. That noted, I believe his biggest asset is his 'eye'. Scott has an uncanny ability to watch a horse train or run and determine if the horse will fit into his program.
But with horses stabled a 5-6 different tracks Scott must rely on his assistants. He simply can't be at all tracks at the same time. Scott never fit into NY as he prefers to train hard knocking claimers. He cut his teeth on this type of runner and has had his biggest successes with this type of horse. Scott nows has a family and I think he simply wants to focus on what he does best. Train claimers.

TonyK

Tony,

Thank You for your insight. I have had minimal first hand interaction with him
but am very close with a few high profile owners that employed him and the feedback was mixed. I am very close to the "move up" areas of the game because of what I do and I always suspected something was up. However, I have heard from one owner in particular who isn't a TV owner, he goes to the barn, watches his horses train, and knows how they are mentally & physically better than most do that Lake simly doesn't over train his horses and walks them alot to try and make them eager on race day. I like hearing stories like that because its "thinking outside the box" and i try and push myself in that way as well. Scan the PP's on any given day and look at what happens when horses LEAVE his barn. I think the vast majority not only don't move up, they can't come close to competing at the same level. For outfits that have young prospects this isn't unusual because they typically start out with high hopes and work their way down, but the claiming game is different.

At least I have gotten positive feedback from you regarding him so I am happy to hear it.

John

aaron
03-24-2007, 08:44 AM
In my opinion,Lake was never as successful in NY as he was out of town. He was prone to long losing streaks in NY before the detention barn. So far, on the inner track,he is having a typical Lake NY meet, ok,but not great.

ELA
03-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, it's the detention barns. That's the ticket. Or the clenbuterol -- which is the only positive test Scott Lake has had.

I am not sure of the inner track #'s, but I think njcurveball is about right -- through this week Lake is shooting 18% for the year at the Big A. Certainly not the 25% he's shooting all in, but then again he doesn't drop and/or ram horses in NY like he does elsewhere.

I'd like to see the opinions backed up by some real facts and data. How 'bout some pre and post detention barn #'s? I do remember -- well before the detention barn, one Spa meet, heading into the last week or two of the meet, Assmusen and Lake were something like 1 or 2 for 60-something. It was probably the fear of the (soon to be coming) detention barns that did it, LOL.

Eric