PDA

View Full Version : Edwards

lsbets
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Feeling desperate after being overshadowed by Obamma and Clinton, this fine gent uses his wife's illness to generate media coverage for his campaign. Wow.

JustRalph
03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Having lived thru nursing my father thru lung cancer for a year, I can only say that I am incredibly surprised that he is going to continue his campaign.

Every moment should be cherished. He is a multi millionaire who should take his wife and children on an extended vacation so that they may share in some beautiful memories prior to her death. He is a fool............

46zilzal
03-22-2007, 06:32 PM
where did it say that the disease is terminal?

JustMissed
03-22-2007, 07:10 PM
"John Edwards said a biopsy of her rib had showed that the cancer had returned.

The bone is one of the most common places where breast cancer spreads, and once it does so it is not considered curable."

Not sure if "not considered curable" is the same thing as "terminal", but it doesn't sound good.

JM

46zilzal
03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
"John Edwards said a biopsy of her rib had showed that the cancer had returned.

The bone is one of the most common places where breast cancer spreads, and once it does so it is not considered curable."

Not sure if "not considered curable" is the same thing as "terminal", but it doesn't sound good.

If that is the only place (nodes, brain are the other most common) the prognosis can vary. No two clinical courses are the same. I once saw a lady at S.F. General who had skull x-rays that looked like Swiss cheese and she was 8 years post mastectomy.

Secretariat
03-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Feeling desperate after being overshadowed by Obamma and Clinton, this fine gent uses his wife's illness to generate media coverage for his campaign. Wow.

Jesus, you're almost as bad as Coulter . Did it ever occur to you that maybe his wife asked him to continue with the campaign? You honestly think Edwards decided he'd use his wife's illness for "media coverage"? These two have been married for a long time and have faced a great deal of adversity together. I generally disagree with about everything you post, but you've hit a new low.

You've set a new standard here. Kick a guy when he's down.

lsbets
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Jesus, you're almost as bad as Coulter . Did it ever occur to you that maybe his wife asked him to continue with the campaign? You honestly think Edwards decided he'd use his wife's illness for "media coverage"? These two have been married for a long time and have faced a great deal of adversity together. I generally disagree with about everything you post, but you've hit a new low.

You've set a new standard here. Kick a guy when he's down.

Yes, I do think he would use his wife's illness to try to get a political advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if he's counting on a bump in the polls if she dies. And I am not surprised that you would defend a sleezebag like him.

Indulto
03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Having lived thru nursing my father thru lung cancer for a year, I can only say that I am incredibly surprised that he is going to continue his campaign.

Every moment should be cherished. He is a multi millionaire who should take his wife and children on an extended vacation so that they may share in some beautiful memories prior to her death. He is a fool............I don't understand why he expects people to trust his national priorities given his personal ones. I have a feeling his campaign will be self-financed from this point.

Secretariat
03-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Yes, I do think he would use his wife's illness to try to get a political advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if he's counting on a bump in the polls if she dies. And I am not surprised that you would defend a sleezebag like him.

I gotta tell you that's cold man.

Edwards has been married to his wife for thirty years unlike most of the Republican candidates for President. You'd think if he was that big of a bastard that his wife would have left him long ago, but she stuck with him through the death of their son and stood beside him today when he made that announcement. When it comes to sleezebags, you may need to look in the mirror before calling someone else one.

Also why didn't you address my question regarding Mrs. Edwards wanting him to continue?

I'm not voting for Edwards. I just think your knee jerk reaction typifies the Limbaugh dittoheads philosophy of jumping to all the wrong conclusions, or Coutler's remark regarding the 911 widows.

lsbets
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM
It may be cold, but that's how I see it. If you look at my comments about Giuliani, you'll see that I have said repeatedly that I would have a hard time voting for him because of how he has treated his family. Unlike you, I am able to evaluate people regardless of party, but your typical retorts are either related to Limbaugh, Coulter, or Exxon. If you think he's noble, fine say so, its your right. Just as its my right to speak my mind. Why are you always trying to silence dissent? :lol: :lol:

JustRalph
03-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Odds on her being on this planet by the time the election comes around?

I give her 5-1 or worse............

He should walk away and spend time with his family.

kenwoodallpromos
03-23-2007, 01:41 AM
If Edwards wanted to use his wife's illness as a political ploy to get more votes they would not have delayed the cancer announcement in '04 until AFTER the election. His year he is supposed to be doing well in Iowa.

JustRalph
03-23-2007, 06:45 AM
. His year he is supposed to be doing well in Iowa.

"well in Iowa" because he is basically living there, remember, he doesn't have another job anymore. He can be there forever. He is banking on ginning up support in Iowa and hoping it carries over to other states. This strategy has been tried before........with very little success...........

He is third amongst Likely Dem voters last I saw.......... unless Hillary and Barack get killed in a plane crash.......he has a tough task ahead

BIG RED
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
.......... unless Hillary and Barack get killed in a plane crash.......

What odds are you giving on that Ralph?

Seriously, I have had two female friends who have passed with the same steps. Breast cancer, things go well, then they find it again, in bone. It doesn't look to good for the woman.

Secretariat
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
It may be cold, but that's how I see it. If you look at my comments about Giuliani, you'll see that I have said repeatedly that I would have a hard time voting for him because of how he has treated his family. Unlike you, I am able to evaluate people regardless of party, but your typical retorts are either related to Limbaugh, Coulter, or Exxon. If you think he's noble, fine say so, its your right. Just as its my right to speak my mind. Why are you always trying to silence dissent? :lol: :lol:

I never said you didn't have the right to speak your mind. And i coudl care less why you can't vote for Guliani. I was talking aobut Edwards. And I can praise Republicans which I've done on here before. This isn't about any of that.

It's about a man in the middle of a Presidential Campaign whose wife for the last thirty years is dying of cancer who wants her husband to continue to run. It's a private family decision. i don't have a problem with dissent, however I do have a problem with ignorant remarks that are distasteful.

lsbets
03-23-2007, 02:37 PM
however I do have a problem with ignorant remarks that are distasteful.

THe first step is admitting you have a problem. If you seek help, maybe you'll be able to stop making them.

chickenhead
03-23-2007, 03:05 PM
who wants her husband to continue to run.

He has no say in the matter? If my wife had terminal cancer, I really wouldn't ask her "Can I still run?" Of course I would expect anyone in her position to say still run. That doesn't mean you do it. Like Ralph said, you stay at home and try and have some family time, and you let her know that is more important to you than any job....

I never liked Edwards anyway...but if this turns people off, that seems like a valid reaction to me.

Tom
03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
He talks to people beyond the grave, so he has that edge we do not. :rolleyes:

Tom
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
THe first step is admitting you have a problem. If you seek help, maybe you'll be able to stop making them.:lol::lol::lol:

BIG RED
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Politici9ans will be #9s hah

Same suit every where :rolleyes:

JustRalph
03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
He talks to people beyond the grave, so he has that edge we do not. :rolleyes:

For those that believe in Karma........this guy is getting it back in spades..........

JustRalph
03-25-2007, 11:33 PM
I gotta tell you that's cold man.

Edwards has been married to his wife for thirty years unlike most of the Republican candidates for President. You'd think if he was that big of a bastard that his wife would have left him long ago, but she stuck with him through the death of their son and stood beside him today when he made that announcement. When it comes to sleezebags, you may need to look in the mirror before calling someone else one.

Also why didn't you address my question regarding Mrs. Edwards wanting him to continue?

I'm not voting for Edwards. I just think your knee jerk reaction typifies the Limbaugh dittoheads philosophy of jumping to all the wrong conclusions, or Coutler's remark regarding the 911 widows.

I am anxiously awaiting a copy of the letter you posted to CBS after Katie Couric's interview tonight. You went after LSBETS immediately..........I assume that you now think that Couric is a scumbag too............
from the Couric interview:

Katie Couric:
Your decision to stay in this race has been analyzed, and quite frankly judged by a lot of people. And some say, what you're doing is courageous, others say it's callous. Some say, "Isn't it wonderful they care for something greater than themselves?" And others say, "It's a case of insatiable ambition." You say?

Katie Couric:
Politics, as you know, can be a cynical business.

John Edwards:
No!

Katie Couric:
You didn't know that?

John Edwards:
Yeah, I was not aware of that.

Katie Couric:
Glad I... (laughter) I’m glad I could teach you something today. Some have suggested that you're capitalizing on this.

Katie Couric:
Some people watching this would say, "I would put my family first always, and my job second." And you're doing the exact opposite. You're putting your work first, and your family second.

Katie Couric:
I guess some people would say that there's some middle ground. You don't have to necessarily stay at home and feel sorry for yourself, and do nothing. But, if given a finite – a possibly finite period of time on the planet – being on the campaign trail, away from my children, a lot of time, and sort of pursuing this goal, is not, necessarily, what I'd do.

Katie Couric:
Even those who may be very empathetic to what you all are facing might question your ability to run the country at the same time you're dealing with a major health crisis in your family.

Katie Couric:
Can you understand their concern, though, Senator Edwards, that gosh, at a time when we're living in a world that is so complicated and so dangerous that the president cannot be distracted by, rightly so, caring about his wife's situation?

Katie Couric:
You said, this weekend, "I am definitely in the race for the duration." If you want to give the honest answer, how can you say that, Senator Edwards, with such certainty? If, God forbid, Elizabeth doesn't respond to whatever treatment is recommended, if her health deteriorates, would you really say that?

Racer98
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
How handy that you cut out his answers.

Secretariat
03-26-2007, 10:19 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Show Me the Wire
03-26-2007, 10:55 PM

JustRalph did not want to bore us. And I for one appreciate it.

JustRalph
03-27-2007, 12:04 AM

I left them in where they were germane. I was speaking to the tact used in the questions. The fact that she made the same case as LS did......... the answers were droll and unimportant. You want to read the stuff that doesn't pertain to the discussion? Go to the CBS web page and read it.

Secretariat
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I was very sorry to hear that Tony Snow has announced his cancer has returned. I wish him the best in his recovery. There are those who would claim that he is using this just a media diversion from the Bush-Gonzalez attorney firings and Iraq to gather sympathy for the Bush administration as their poll numbers continue to plummet, but that is ridiculous.

highnote
03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
If President Bush became sick with cancer, I would not hold it against him if he wanted to continue his presidential duties. Why should we expect him to step down and let the vice-president take over?

Some of you guys assume that everyone should have the same beliefs as you when it comes to work and family.

The reality is that not all people have the same beliefs. And having a different belief system does not mean those sets of beliefs are immoral.

Someone like the Edwards' might think that it is to their family's benefit to stay in the race and that dropping out of the race would have a detrimental effect on their family.

Just because one person's beliefs about work and family are different than another's does not make either one's beliefs right or wrong. They are just different.

In fact, the Edwards' might believe it is immoral to not work while someone is sick.

The Pope doesn't stop being the Pope when he gets terminally ill. He keeps on working.

The King or Queen of England would probably not step aside when they are near the end of their life because of illness.

Maybe working actually helps people get through the pain of illness by giving them something to focus on.

I think it is more important to understand a person's beliefs than to criticize their beliefs.

Like the song goes... "It's easier to see somebody else than to see yourself."

Steve 'StatMan'
03-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I can respect their desire to continue, after all, his attaining the Presidency has obviously been a goal of theirs as a couple for many years. How their party, their competition, and the potential voters react will, as always, play a big factor in how long they, or any of the other candidates stay in the race.

Admittedly, having gotten as far as being his party's V.P. nominee in the prior election could clearly have a motitivating reason as well. While he's facing the media machines of H. Clinton and Obama, it isn't like this was going to be his first campaign run, struggling to get started with fund raising and name awareness in an uphill battle.

While I would prefer others over Edwards as President, I will wish her well again in her latest recovery attempt, and will take no personal joy over anything that does not go well for her regarding her health. Should he not get the nomination or be elected, it will be for the two of them to determine if their time was well spent or not.

And unlike a certain other poster, a crass former U.S. resident and physician who makes light of the ills of non-elected adminstration staff within his ex-country's government, I will clearly not note with any glee about a possible future vacancy of a potential First Lady.

chickenhead
03-27-2007, 03:56 PM
there are such things as disagreements, not everything is a misunderstanding.

we are supposed to look at candidates with a critical eye, that is what an election is.

It is a shame that the word discrimination has taken on such a negative tone. The entire natural universe, including all human progress, is based on discrimination.

JustRalph
03-27-2007, 04:06 PM
swety, take it from someone who has been through it. When a household member has terminal cancer, your life changes.

This guy is talking about being on the road for the next 18 months. He is going to either drag her along or he is going to have to be away from her in her last days. I don't care how she feels now, and the fact that she wants to go on the road with him,,,,,,,,,,,there will be a time when the two of them have to make a choice. He will regret it in the end. And most likely after for years.

As a matter of fact, most people don't realize it, but after your loved one departs this world.........many people.......and I include myself........look back and wonder why they did many many things that kept them away for small portions of time. In the big picture.........time is everything............

JimG
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
I feel sorry for the kids. I watched the interview and was uncomfortable with their remark that you had to let kids spread their wings. I would think most kids that age (6 and 8?), hearing such a prognosis, would want to spend as much quality time with their Mom as possible. Instead she plans to be on the campaign trail.

Jim

highnote
03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
swety, take it from someone who has been through it. When a household member has terminal cancer, your life changes.

As a matter of fact, most people don't realize it, but after your loved one departs this world.........many people.......and I include myself........look back and wonder why they did many many things that kept them away for small portions of time. In the big picture.........time is everything............

My mother had cancer for 3 years and died when I was 18. I didn't drop out of high school during that time. But I did spend more and more time with her on weekends and evenings as her cancer progressed.

I understand people's concern for the Edwards', but I also understand why they choose to keep working. If work is an important part of your life, then I see no reason to stop working.

Maybe if Edwards' wife gets worse they will manage their life differently. But she's not on her death bed, so why should they live their life as if she is?

JustRalph
03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
My mother had cancer for 3 years and died when I was 18. I didn't drop out of high school during that time. But I did spend more and more time with her on weekends and evenings as her cancer progressed.

exactly the point. You spent more and more time with her............ if she doesn't hold up thru the campaign, who takes care of the kids while she is unable to.....as they watch her health fail? I know, they hire it done. But, is he going to stay on the road while her health fails?

What about the loyalty to his supporters? Do they have to wonder about his mind set? there are tons of questions here..........all solved by him doing the right thing, taking his wife home and enjoying whatever time is left and spending some of the millions he has to make sure that his kids have very fond memories of her last years. He is a young man........there will be other campaigns.............

highnote
03-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Do they have to wonder about his mind set?

That is a concern. Seems like he is handling it well, so far.

there are tons of questions here..........all solved by him doing the right thing,

I think he thinks the right thing for him to do is whatever he and his family decide think he should do -- not what other people think they should do.

Show Me the Wire
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
That is a concern. Seems like he is handling it well, so far.

I think he thinks the right thing for him to do is whatever he and his family decide think he should do -- not what other people think they should do.

Your above quote sums it up. It matters what other people think in this case as Edwards want people to vote for him. I will not judge if he is right about staying on the campaign trail under the current situation.

I know I wouldn't and since I would not, therefore I question his judgment about priorities.

Secretariat
03-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Classy response.

John Edwards for President
Mar 27, 2007

Chapel Hill, North Carolina – Senator John Edwards released the following statement today following the announcement that a growth in Tony Snow's abdomen was found to be cancerous.

"Elizabeth and I were saddened to hear the news that Tony Snow is once again battling cancer. Tony has been an incredible example for people living with cancer and cancer survivors - he lives every day to the fullest and faces every challenge with courage and determination.

"We want to thank Tony again for his kind words following our announcement that Elizabeth's cancer had returned. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tony and his family during this difficult time. We wish him the best in his upcoming battle and are praying for a full and speedy recovery."

Show Me the Wire
03-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I believe most people that survive cancer or feel that they are given a second chance try to live life to the fullest. According to my personal experience living life to the fullest usually includes adjusting their lifestyle to spend more time with loved ones.

Racer98
03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Politicians can be morons, but it's good to know they're on center when it comes to disease among each other. They may be across the aisle, but they look out for each other.

JustRalph
03-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Politicians can be morons, but it's good to know they're on center when it comes to disease among each other. They may be across the aisle, but they look out for each other.

You know, this schtick is getting old........... upgrade or move on.

I know you are trying to be funny.....and sometimes you are kind of funny........but dial it back a little, you know?

highnote
03-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Your above quote sums it up. It matters what other people think in this case as Edwards want people to vote for him. I will not judge if he is right about staying on the campaign trail under the current situation.

I know I wouldn't and since I would not, therefore I question his judgment about priorities.

I can't fault him either way -- if he drops out or continues on -- it's a tough call.

For all we know he and his wife have cut back in other areas of their lives in order to have more time together. So maybe their priority is trying to serve the country as best they can. Campaigning for public office is a worthwhile endeavor and serves the greater good.

If campaigning makes them feel good, then I don't see any harm in it. In fact, it might actually be beneficial to helping her fight cancer and also detract from the pain and uncertainty the family must be experiencing.

Secretariat
03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Sweet,

They've been married thirty years and lost a son. I think they deserve the respect to know what each other wants and needs and what the meaning of death is.

Show Me the Wire
03-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree with you Sec, it may be correct for them. But maybe incorrect behavior for the majority of the country he wants to lead.

highnote
03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Sweet,

They've been married thirty years and lost a son. I think they deserve the respect to know what each other wants and needs and what the meaning of death is.

I agree.

Show Me The Wire also makes a good point.

It doesn't matter that I think. He wasn't my first choice before or after this situation. It will matter what voters think. I expect that 1/2 won't care and 1/2 will think the Edwards are making a wrong choice.

I'm not losing any sleep over what the half that disagree with me think.

JustRalph
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Now this may shed a little light on the campaign......maybe not?
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/

The Sleuth, Washington Post

Posted at 5:30 AM ET, 04/ 4/2007
Edwards Provides Lesson in E-Campaigning 101
When you visit the John Edwards for President Web site, you're invited to send a sympathy note to the Edwardses. And tens of thousands of well wishers have done so since that heart-wrenching news conference two weeks ago at which Elizabeth Edwards courageously discussed her incurable cancer.

What those well wishers get in return -- e-mail messages soliciting contributions to Edwards's campaign.

Visitors to the Edwards site who choose to "send a note to Elizabeth and John" are first taken to a heartfelt letter from the candidate that was written the day after he learned that his wife's cancer had returned. Edwards thanks readers for their "prayers and wishes," vows that he and Elizabeth will "keep a positive attitude always look for the silver lining" and declares that "our campaign goes on and it goes on strongly."

Anyone who then chooses to send a note of sympathy to the Edwardses -- and, thus, provide his or her e-mail address -- automatically becomes part of the Edwards campaign's online e-mail database, a list that is crucial to any campaign's ability to raise vast amounts of money over the Internet.

If you sent a note to the Edwardses before the critical March 31 end-of-the-quarter fundraising deadline, you would have received frantic e-mail solicitations from the campaign, such as the one on March 28 from Edwards campaign manager David Bonior titled, "96 hours to show substance works." The solicitation asked for "$25, $50 or any amount you can afford to give."

JustRalph
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
This guy just keeps proving what a money grubber he is.........

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=16809

Edwards charges $55,000 to speak to
UC Davis students about poverty

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, who as a Democratic presidential candidate recently proposed an educational policy that urged "every financial barrier" be removed for American kids who want to go to college, has been going to college himself -- as a high paid speaker, his financial records show.

The candidate charged a whopping $55,000 to speak at to a crowd of 1,787 the taxpayer-funded University of California at Davis on Jan. 9, 2006 last year, Joe Martin, the public relations officer for the campus' Mondavi Center confirmed Monday.

More at the link

click here for theme music......... (http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B000002U82001005/105-9930971-1914865)

highnote
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm sure Guiliani is in the same range. Same with Clinton.

Remember when Reagan got $1 million to speak in Japan after he left office?

55 is cheap. Of course, I wouldn't give 55 cents to hear him speak. :D

Lefty
05-22-2007, 01:21 AM
swety, do you fail to see the irony? Think about it.

highnote
05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
swety, do you fail to see the irony? Think about it.

He's an attorney -- not Jesus.

JustRalph
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
He's an attorney -- not Jesus.

ah, but he wants us to think he is Jesus............... :lol:

highnote
05-22-2007, 07:22 PM
ah, but he wants us to think he is Jesus............... :lol:

Don't they all? :bang:

JustRalph
05-23-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/23/MNG6HQ00861.DTL&hw=edwards&sn=001&sc=1000

edwards is taking a little heat

highnote
05-23-2007, 05:21 PM
First of all, I wouldn't vote for Edwards, so it doesn't really matter to me what people think of him.

However, I don't see the problem. So what if he spends a lot of money and makes a lot of money.

I would say that a rich person can probably help the poor better than a poor person. A rich person knows how to make money. The poor need to learn how to make money, right?

I certainly wouldn't listen to a poor person telling me how to get rich!

Lefty
05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
swety, because it's hypocritical. Do not chastize entrpreneurs for making money when you make yours in a fashion that reeks of ambulance chasing. And to demand 55 grand to talk about POVERTY is too ironic to be blvd; almost.

highnote
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM
swety, because it's hypocritical. Do not chastize entrpreneurs for making money when you make yours in a fashion that reeks of ambulance chasing. And to demand 55 grand to talk about POVERTY is too ironic to be blvd; almost.

I see the irony, but I don't see the hypocracy.

Isn't he the guy whose wife has cancer? Maybe he needs the money because he doesn't have good health care coverage? Now that would be ironic. :D

Lefty
05-23-2007, 09:58 PM
you don't see the hypocricy? Stunning. He's a millionaire many times over and talks about the two america's like he's the only friggin millionaire in the world that's entitled. He made his money with Class Action lawsuits. Just another ambulance chaser.

highnote
05-23-2007, 10:06 PM
you don't see the hypocricy? Stunning. He's a millionaire many times over and talks about the two america's like he's the only friggin millionaire in the world that's entitled. He made his money with Class Action lawsuits. Just another ambulance chaser.

Now I get the ambulance chaser reference. He's a lawyer who made a lot of money fighting for his clients. I have no problem with that. I am not one of those people who hate lawyers until they need one.

And no, I don't see the hypocracy. He took a paying gig. So what. I think it's much ado about nothing.

JustRalph
05-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Now I get the ambulance chaser reference. He's a lawyer who made a lot of money fighting for his clients. I have no problem with that. I am not one of those people who hate lawyers until they need one.

And no, I don't see the hypocracy. He took a paying gig. So what. I think it's much ado about nothing.

His gig was bankrupting doctors. He actually put some out of business using bogus claims when births turned out bad. Cerebral Palsy specifically.........here is one site that comments on it

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1061376/posts

highnote
05-23-2007, 11:18 PM
His gig was bankrupting doctors. He actually put some out of business using bogus claims when births turned out bad. Cerebral Palsy specifically.........here is one site that comments on it

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1061376/posts

He did his job. It's not his fault the other attornies sucked. The defendants should have gotten better attornies. He was fighting billion dollar insurance companies who can afford good lawyers. He beat them. He did his job. I don't see anything wrong with doing your job well and being rewarded for it.

The article says it is conceivable, but rare for cerebral palsy to be caused by a doctor's negligence. It didn't say it was impossible. So in those cases where it is caused by a doctor's negligence, why shouldn't a plaintiff be awarded a settlement?

No one complains about Michael Jordan making $60 million per year and winning a dozen championships -- except maybe the losing teams. :D

In this country we get paid for performance. If you perform at the highest level you are rewarded.

As H.G. Wells said, and I quote it frequently, "Righteous indignation can be traced to envy."

Tom
05-23-2007, 11:29 PM
If that is his job, he is a professional scum bag.
Is it any wonder many people think lawyers should be shot?
What Edwards did crossed over all lines, and any lawyer who would do that crap deserves whatever some disgruntled person gives him in an alley.
Edwars is a crawly life for that scurries under the refridgerator when the kitchen light comes on. He is lowest for of life, below cockraoches, and he has no redeeming value or worth as a man. It is too bad cancer is not contagiuous. Screw him and other lawyers like him. Shakespear was right on.

highnote
05-23-2007, 11:34 PM
If that is his job, he is a professional scum bag.

What if it would have been your child who was a victim of a doctor's negligence? Would you just let it go?

I know if it was me, I'd want to hire the best lawyer I could find. Because I know the insurance company will have a dozen lawyers working on the case to try to weasel out of paying damages.

Lefty
05-24-2007, 12:30 AM
what about the other side of the coin. Sleazy lawyers suing good doctors, good corporations with specious evidence and convincing naive juries to give big rewards. Result: Good Doctors leaving the profession because they can't afford malpractice insurance anymore and rising healthcare costs. That's good? A few years ago OBYGN's were leaving Nevada in droves. The legislature finally had to put a cap on these claims.

highnote
05-24-2007, 12:55 AM
what about the other side of the coin.

What about it?

The question was "What would you do if your child was the victim of physician negligence?" Would you just let it go, or would you hire a lawyer to try to find a remedy?

Lefty
05-24-2007, 01:25 AM
What about it? Geez, when you miss a point you really miss it. Edwards has been accused more than once of doing what i said. And do you doubt for a moment that he and other lawyers are a lot responsible for driving up healthcare costs? After all we are talking about Edwards here and I called him a hypocrite for living high on the hog but chastizing others for doing the same.
Sure, anybody would get a l;awyer their child or loved one was hurt by a bad Dr. But when I say what about other side of the coin and you say what about it that's turning a deaf ear to the problem of specious lawsuits which, i submit, are far more rampant than bad docs hurting children.

highnote
05-24-2007, 01:50 AM
What about it? Geez, when you miss a point you really miss it. Edwards has been accused more than once of doing what i said. And do you doubt for a moment that he and other lawyers are a lot responsible for driving up healthcare costs? After all we are talking about Edwards here and I called him a hypocrite for living high on the hog but chastizing others for doing the same.
Sure, anybody would get a l;awyer their child or loved one was hurt by a bad Dr. But when I say what about other side of the coin and you say what about it that's turning a deaf ear to the problem of specious lawsuits which, i submit, are far more rampant than bad docs hurting children.

No. I wasn't avoiding your question. I was just making sure you answered mine first. ;)

The other side of the coin... if healthcare costs are being driven up by sleazy lawyers convincing naive juries, then the insurance companies need to start hiring better lawyers who will win more cases and educate the jury. Don't blame the jury for making a decision based on the facts that were presented to them.

The OJ trial is a perfect example. The state's attorney's were no match for the experienced attornies OJ hired. The jury made the decision they had to make given the evidence.

Of course, that was a criminal case -- so maybe it's not the best example.

I'm always reminded of what that winning Alabama football coach said after the losing coach complained about getting beat 70-0 -- "Stop complaining and get better players."

Insurance companies -- stop complaining and get better lawyers.

On the other side of the coin, how many victims of malpractice have had to suffer a devasting loss because the insurance company had great lawyers and the victim couldn't afford a good one?

It works both ways. It certainly isn't a perfect system, but it's the best we've got.

I don't think limits on lawsuits is the answer. That's like saying Exxon has to have limits on how much profit they can make. Let the market decide.

Or, if you're going to set limits on lawsuits, then set limits on premiums insurance companies can charge. If a doctor's negligence costs a person their life due to a botched bypass surgery. Maybe the limit of liability s $1,000,000 to the family.

So on the other side of the coin, the insurance company can only charge $500 per month to a family of 4 for full-coverage health insurance -- which, by the way, would still be too much money for a lot of families whose sole earner is self-employed.

I might be in favor of placing caps on claims if insurance companies would agree to caps on insurance premiums.

Lefty
05-24-2007, 02:07 AM
When juries are picked because of their liberal bent because they have been bombarded by the liberal media that drs and corps are bad..................................... and should pay through the nose then not a chance in the world for any lawyer to win some of these cases. What do you think my chances would be to get picked for a jury in cases such as these? Slim to none I would say.
You have a pretty cavalier attitude about it but you prob whine about high costs in healthcare too, but defend some of those that caused it. Just bringing these cases to court result in higher insurance costs cause the insurance company have to pay the lawyers. They have to pay the lawyers win or lose. We in turn, pay them and insurance and heathcare spiral and all you can say is get a better lawyer. EGAD!
Same with the O.J. case now that you mentioned it. With that jury and with Ito letting Cochran get away with pleading jury nullificatiomn, no chance in hell for any prosecutor to win that case. Did you see the mountain of evidence? This jury completyely disregarded it.But I digress and drift, sorry...

highnote
05-24-2007, 02:14 AM
What do you think my chances would be to get picked for a jury in cases such as these?

I wouldn't even want to guess. :D

But at least I know you'd do a good job. :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-24-2007, 07:53 AM
The scumbag "talked" to a dead baby, for crying out loud.
He is the epitome of Rich White Trash.

How come when doctor's make a mistake they get sued, but when lawyers lose cases thet don' t get sued?

highnote
05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
The scumbag "talked" to a dead baby, for crying out loud.
He is the epitome of Rich White Trash.

For the record, I usually agree with you. But I guess I'm in an argumentative mood.

I didn't take that as literal. Maybe he meant it to be literal? Lots of people claim to talk to dead people. People talk to God and Jesus everyday and we think it's perfectly normal. And a lot of people believed Rex Humbard when he said God spoke to him.

I don't have a problem with Edwards using techniques like that to win cases. If a jury buys into that, then he did a great job at picking his jury. If the defendents lawyers can't counter him with an argument that makes him look ridiculous, then they shouldn't be practicing law.

How come when doctor's make a mistake they get sued, but when lawyers lose cases thet don' t get sued?

How come when the horse you bet on loses you don't get your money back?

That said, there are instances when lawyers are sued for incompetency. Lawyers have to carry malpractice insurance, too.

Tom
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh, well, if integrity is not important, then Edwards is a good lawyer.:bang:
But I would prefer my president have some intergrity, some morality.

highnote
05-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh, well, if integrity is not important, then Edwards is a good lawyer.:bang:
But I would prefer my president have some intergrity, some morality.

I agree. That's one of the reasons I won't vote for him.

However, if I need a plaintiff's lawyer to win a case for me, then I want the best in the business. I'm not going to hire some hack lawyer just because he has integrity. If I feel I have been a victim of negligence then I will go to trial and I want to win and get just compensation.

Lefty
05-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Right. May the slickest lawyer win and who cares about the Doc who may have done nothing wrong. Then let that slick lawyer run for pres and moan and groan that OTHER rich people are taking advantage of poor people. Gawd!

Tom
05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Justice is a comodity, like wine, cars, clothing.
A court-appointed attoreny is like certain loss of the case.
To make justice truly blind, all attorneys should go into a pool and each side of a case draws at start of trail.

JustRalph
01-31-2008, 02:30 AM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=481151#post481151

After Edwards Drops out.......an old Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Edwards dropped out of the presidential race Today.

He never moved above Clinton or Obama during the last 10 months and has finished basically as he polled last year at this time.

In light of these developments I would ponder whether John Edwards would like the last ten months back............... after deciding to continue while his wife is fighting terminal cancer............... A thread from Last March for review

Hindsight is 20/20 ..............but I still think he made a bad decision.

Go back to page one of this thread to review what was said last March when Edwards decided to continue his campaign.

or click the link below

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35162&page=1&pp=20

bigmack
01-31-2008, 03:02 AM
A touching, poignant story from today:

Edwards said that on his way to making his campaign-ending statement, he drove by a highway underpass where several homeless people live. He stopped to talk, he said, and as he was leaving, one of them asked him never to forget them and their plight.“Well, I say to her and I say to all those who are struggling in this country, we will never forget you. We will fight for you. We will stand up for you,” he said, pledging to continue his effort to end what he frequently said was “two Americas,” one for the powerful, the other for the rest.

Thank you, John. Keep up the fight for the homeless.

Presidential candidate John Edwards and his family recently moved into what county tax officials say is the most valuable home in Orange County. The house, which includes a recreational building attached to the main living quarters, also is probably the largest in the county.

“The Edwardses’ residential property will likely have the highest tax value in the county,” Orange County Tax Assessor John Smith told Carolina Journal. He estimated that the tax value will exceed $6 million when the facility is completed.

The rambling structure sits in the middle of a 102-acre estate on Old Greensboro Road west of Chapel Hill. The heavily wooded site and winding driveway ensure that the home is not visible from the road. “No Trespassing” signs discourage passersby from venturing past the gate.

Don Knight, Orange County building plans examiner, told CJ that, including the recreational building, the Edwardses’ home would be one of the largest in Orange County.

Knight approved the building plans that showed the Edwards home totaling 28,200 square feet of connected space. The main house is 10,400 square feet and has two garages. The recreation building, a red, barn-like building containing 15,600 square feet, is connected to the house by a closed-in and roofed structure of varying widths and elevations that totals 2,200 square feet.

The main house is all on one level except for a 600-square-foot bedroom and bath area above the guest garage.

The recreation building contains a basketball court, a squash court, two stages, a bedroom, kitchen, bathrooms, swimming pool, a four-story tower, and a room designated “John’s Lounge.”

Tom
01-31-2008, 07:36 AM
If the fool Edwards was half as honest as he is rich, he would have donated all the money he wasted on a zero shot run for the WH on helpoing poor people. He would have asked Hillary to donate her million dollar Woodstock Memorial money to helping poor people. These lying SOSs make me sick - not a one of them in the lot is worth a good damn crap. And what is really sickening is how many Americans are stupid enough to fall for it.

betchatoo
01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
Edwards has legally earned all the money he has (whether or not you like the way he earned it). What is wrong with him enjoying the fruits of that wealth? He does contribute heavily to charities. How many of you who believe in religion are giving ALL your money to church and living the simple, ascetic life? How many who support the soldiers are donating all your extra spending money to the USO or Yellow Ribbon fund? I see no hypocrisy in supporting the homeless while having a great home.

Tom
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Great. Then you donate, too.
For me, I prefer not to have scumbags like the dems tell me I have to kick in to pay for those who don't work as hard as I do. I earn my dough, I don't want to take care of everyone else. How many trillions of dollars have we wasted on the War on Poverty?

You want to end poverty, put people to work.

Grits
01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I earn my dough, I don't want to take care of everyone else. How many trillions of dollars have we wasted on the War on Poverty?

You want to end poverty, put people to work.

Tom, it would be good for you if you could purchase, and move to your own island.

Party of 1. Government of 1. Population 1.

I'm sorry if this seems unkind, but you're one of the most self possessed individuals I've ever read or heard--anywhere. What you write indicates this, time and time again.

I hope that you do not ever need anyone's help.

ljb
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
How many trillions of dollars have we wasted on the War on Poverty?
Not nearly as much as we have wasted on the occupation of Iraq.

whiteathame
01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Tom, it would be good for you if you could purchase, and move to your own island.

I'm sorry if this seems unkind, but you're one of the most self possessed individuals I've ever read or heard--anywhere. What you write indicates this, time and time again.

Grits, IMHO ya got it wrong. Let's hope he does.

Tom
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Hey, I have always said we should help those who need it. The majority do not. This latest crap bill the libs here are whinning about saying Bush vetoed a bill to give HC to children is BS. You call a 26 year old kid of a family making $85K a year needy? I don't, and I don't want to give cent to help this family. Self -possessed? Because I respect people to stand up for themselves? Whatever floats your boat. I don't see anyone helping me out mowing my lawn, doing my laundry, washing my car after I get home from working all day, even though I send them a nice chunk of my check every week. What are they doing that they don't have time to get off their butts and contribute?
I lost my job of 33 years to Mexico/Canada and got off my ass and found another one. Two actually - I took a contract job to hold me over until I found a full time one. One far below my abilities and expected pay range. I could have used up another 24 months of Nafta benefits and not ever gotten out of bed before noon each day. 6 months and I was back on my feet - never took a dime I wasn't entitled to (only unemployment insurance). So forgive me if don't buy into this bad economy and no jobs out ther crap. I make less that I used to, but I am working and not expecting anyone else to pay my way.

I do not ask anything of anyone I do not do myself. The number of people out there who cannot is a very small percent.

There are a lot of ways to help people without throwing my money at them.
Like I say, feel free to throw yours, though.

Tom
01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Grits, IMHO ya got it wrong. Let's hope he does.

Like you know anything about it, dipstick.

whiteathame
01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey Tom-ass, Canadaigua, NY was the home of the chautauqua movement not the shit-talkers like you fascist bastards.

Lefty
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Not nearly as much as we have wasted on the occupation of Iraq.
Wrong again, lbj. We are making headway in Iraq but there will always be poor people, and the govt can't do anything excpt make education and opportunity available. We have wasted about 8 trillion on the so-called war on poverty.
Edwards makes me sick becauese he really looks dn on people. He tells people the system is rigged and they can't s\ucceed without his help. Yet, he started poor. Soin effect he's saying, 'I made it, but since you're not as smart as me, you need the govt's help.'

Tom
01-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey Tom-ass, Canadaigua, NY was the home of the chautauqua movement not the shit-talkers like you fascist bastards.

Oh, my, that hurt.:(:rolleyes:
Bet you can't even define fascist! :lol:

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Edwards makes me sick becauese he really looks dn on people. He tells people the system is rigged and they can't s\ucceed without his help. Yet, he started poor. Soin effect he's saying, 'I made it, but since you're not as smart as me, you need the govt's help.'
Man I have heard jaded people before, but your concept of understanding people (at arm's length and without a whiff of data) continues to astound me. You rival the best at it ever good old Norris P.

Lefty
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
46, when a man tells you he succeeded but you cannot, he is insulting you. If you cannot see that, then you are wanting in perpicacity.
I analyze the man's words and actions and his message is you need "my help"
I just reject it and unlike you I do not feel the need, to put up post after post calling him names, like you do Bush.
I analyze, and tell you why I don't like him, from my own perspective. Try it sometimes.

JustRalph
01-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Go away Troll........ you just proved who you really are.

46zilzal
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Keep it up. Disagreement with the dogma always gets that response.

JustRalph
01-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Keep it up. Disagreement with the dogma always gets that response.

Calling somebody a " shit talking facist bastard" is outside the bounds.

if you want to disagree, fine. But this wasn't kosher. it is obvious troll talk from somebody hasn't been here more than ten minutes. I am not surprised that you condone it.

Tom
01-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Do you think it's my breath? :lol: