PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of switching from Comcast to Dish network.

gillenr
03-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Do you have Dish network?
How does picture quality compare to cable? Comcast has too many dropouts that they can't(won't) fix.
How well does the DVR work? The Comcast one has a FF/REW problem(generic) that causes stutters & stops at the slowest FF/REW speeds.

This will be coupled with a switch to ATT DSL - their advertised speed is comparable - 6mbs vs 8mbs. Any opinions on this?

Bottom line is that after I run out of freebies & incentives, I'll spend $30 a month less. But "quality is job #1".

Thanks

Dave Schwartz
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I use DishNet for racing only. Cannot comment on picture quality as I am watching races on my computer via s-video.

What I can comment on is that my dishnet of TVG is usually well ahead of my Freind's cable of TVG (in NY).

Dave

ranchwest
03-22-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure how cable works, but Dish Network is digital. So, you get pretty much the same picture that was fed, very good for non-HD. I'm viewing on an HD TV.

The only time I've had a problem is during severe weather, mostly extremely heavy rain (not much snow here). Then, it is still an all or nothing. There is either a normal picture or the picture may go away for a few minutes. Mine has seldom been out for very long.

I've had mine for six years, so I didn't get a DVR. I'm wanting to add one, though.

LurkingBettor
03-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure how cable works, but Dish Network is digital. So, you get pretty much the same picture that was fed, very good for non-HD. I'm viewing on an HD TV.

The only time I've had a problem is during severe weather, mostly extremely heavy rain (not much snow here). Then, it is still an all or nothing. There is either a normal picture or the picture may go away for a few minutes. Mine has seldom been out for very long.

I've had mine for six years, so I didn't get a DVR. I'm wanting to add one, though.

Gotta echo what Ranch says.....from the same general area. For comparison, my hardwired Time Warner (formerly Comcast) internet service goes out far more often than the satellite fed Dish Network. :bang: Go figure.

Dish Network = :ThmbUp: Have not tried the DVR yet either.

rrbauer
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I've had DISH in two locations over the past 8 years. As RW points out there are occasions when really bad weather will disprupt reception but that goes away on its own when the weather calms down. I've had their DVR for 18 months and I'm on the 4th one (they replace them for free). I had some other hardware issues that took them several tech visits to isolate and fix but they did get them fixed. I'm going to switch to DirecTV later this year when they upgrade their HD offerings. Also, you can't get HD from your local channels from the satellite broadcasters. You will need an OTA antenna to pull in your locals' HD offerings. Another project in the works at my place!

betchatoo
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I switched from Comcast to Dish and I couldn't be happier. Picture quality is as good, if not better

Racer98
03-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I had an incident with Dish.

i went to upgrade my old system (An early echostar) and get local channels (which were not previously offered). However, They said that it required a second dish (our neighbors had one dish for it all, with DirecTV.) Finally, they offered it all on one dish, and stated the day they would come, between 3:00 and 6:00. At about 8:30, I recieved a call that they would not be able to make it. That was the last straw. I went to DirecTV with TiVo. I couldn't be happier. I just wish I hadn't lost TVG in the switch...

ranchwest
03-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I've had DISH in two locations over the past 8 years. As RW points out there are occasions when really bad weather will disprupt reception but that goes away on its own when the weather calms down. I've had their DVR for 18 months and I'm on the 4th one (they replace them for free). I had some other hardware issues that took them several tech visits to isolate and fix but they did get them fixed. I'm going to switch to DirecTV later this year when they upgrade their HD offerings. Also, you can't get HD from your local channels from the satellite broadcasters. You will need an OTA antenna to pull in your locals' HD offerings. Another project in the works at my place!

Richard, I put my antenna in the attic. It is huge and seems to do a pretty good job of bringing in the reception. I don't recall the size, but it must be about 12 feet wide or so. I bought the antenna from my Dish installer, so they installed everything at once and made sure it worked.

Only problem is that they recently started showing a copyright notice on the regular satellite program listings. When that started happening, I no longer got program listings for the local stations. I need to talk to them about that.

Dan Montilion
03-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I would suggest finding a local retailer other than just calling 1-800-dish or Radio Shack. I had the local retailer come out prior to the final decision to switch from cable (RCN) to dish. He charged me $15 but I grilled him about reception sights, and how I wanted it installed. Under house wiring, the dish on a 4x6 in the backyard (I installed the pole). They did charge me an extra hundred for the installation but it was well spent. And I was able to deal with a somebody that had a store front. As oppsed to on the horn.

Dave Schwartz
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
For those interested, RTN has an HRTV special going right now... FREE EQUIPMENT!

You still have to purchase the installation and it is $99 per month, but it is about $500 worth of free stuff.

ranchwest
03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
I would suggest finding a local retailer other than just calling 1-800-dish or Radio Shack. I had the local retailer come out prior to the final decision to switch from cable (RCN) to dish. He charged me $15 but I grilled him about reception sights, and how I wanted it installed. Under house wiring, the dish on a 4x6 in the backyard (I installed the pole). They did charge me an extra hundred for the installation but it was well spent. And I was able to deal with a somebody that had a store front. As oppsed to on the horn.

That's a good point. The people I went through sell televisions, Dish Network (and the other big satellite service), cell phones, car electronics, etc. Their business is service and they're good at it.

rrbauer
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
ranchwest:
"Richard, I put my antenna in the attic. It is huge and seems to do a pretty good job of bringing in the reception. I don't recall the size, but it must be about 12 feet wide or so. I bought the antenna from my Dish installer, so they installed everything at once and made sure it worked."

Does the antenna have a rotor? I need a directional setup because the locals broadcast from three different locations that are from 20 to 40 miles away. I like the idea of getting the antenna and installation from the satellite guy to give me a better chance of having it done right.

ranchwest
03-29-2007, 12:52 AM
ranchwest:
"Richard, I put my antenna in the attic. It is huge and seems to do a pretty good job of bringing in the reception. I don't recall the size, but it must be about 12 feet wide or so. I bought the antenna from my Dish installer, so they installed everything at once and made sure it worked."

Does the antenna have a rotor? I need a directional setup because the locals broadcast from three different locations that are from 20 to 40 miles away. I like the idea of getting the antenna and installation from the satellite guy to give me a better chance of having it done right.

No rotor. It's horizontal in the attic, just as if it were outside except horizontal instead of vertical. If I remember, I'll try to measure it tomorrow.

I live about mid-way in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex and I get all of the major stations with no problem at all. I don't usually watch some of the smaller stations, but I think I get all of them. I'm sure it has to be at least 25 miles to some of the stations.

ranchwest
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Richard, I went into the attic and measured that antenna. It is "only" 9 feet wide at its widest point. It's only maybe a foot tall at that point. At the other end it is not nearly as wide, but it is about 3 feet tall. I paid about $150 for it. The antenna has been even more reliable than the Dish. Now that I look at it and think about it, I guess if it were outside it would still be mounted horizontally, just like it is in the attic.

For a little extra bonus, here we have a few stations that have multiple HD broadcasts that include things such as local weather 24/7. These come in as channel 05-01, 05-02, 05-03 and such. The Dish box seeks HD signals and sorts all of that out automatically.

rrbauer
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Richard, I went into the attic and measured that antenna. It is "only" 9 feet wide at its widest point. It's only maybe a foot tall at that point. At the other end it is not nearly as wide, but it is about 3 feet tall. I paid about $150 for it. The antenna has been even more reliable than the Dish. Now that I look at it and think about it, I guess if it were outside it would still be mounted horizontally, just like it is in the attic.

For a little extra bonus, here we have a few stations that have multiple HD broadcasts that include things such as local weather 24/7. These come in as channel 05-01, 05-02, 05-03 and such. The Dish box seeks HD signals and sorts all of that out automatically.

Now I'm reading between the lines (sounds like handicapping!). So you have the OTA-antenna signal coming (wired) into the DISH receiver? If so, your previous post about losing the "Guide" info display on the local channels makes more sense. And, I presume that you do not have the local-channels added to your DISH subscription since they're available OTA. Right?

ranchwest
03-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Now I'm reading between the lines (sounds like handicapping!). So you have the OTA-antenna signal coming (wired) into the DISH receiver? If so, your previous post about losing the "Guide" info display on the local channels makes more sense. And, I presume that you do not have the local-channels added to your DISH subscription since they're available OTA. Right?

Right on all counts.

schweitz
03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
rrbauer and ranchwest:
I'm confused---I have dish network and receive the local channels in HD (dfw area) from them (no ota antenna needed). Also it is my understanding that this is possible in most markets.

rrbauer
03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
rrbauer and ranchwest:
I'm confused---I have dish network and receive the local channels in HD (dfw area) from them (no ota antenna needed). Also it is my understanding that this is possible in most markets.

The only HD offerings on DISH that I'm aware of are the dozen or so channels of HD programming that come in on the 9xxx channels that include ESPN, TNT and the like. I think that service is about $10 month and requires a separate dish (and a special HD receiver and a HD TV). For DISH to broadcast all of the "local" channels that they offer around the country would require them to have several more satellites.

schweitz
03-30-2007, 01:30 PM
The only HD offerings on DISH that I'm aware of are the dozen or so channels of HD programming that come in on the 9xxx channels that include ESPN, TNT and the like. I think that service is about $10 month and requires a separate dish (and a special HD receiver and a HD TV). For DISH to broadcast all of the "local" channels that they offer around the country would require them to have several more satellites.

You can receive your local channels in HD form Dish Network in all of the major markets. I have been receiving ABC, NBC,CBS,and FOX in HD from the Dallas networks for more than a year now. There is currently 31 HD channels plus my local networks in HD. It does require an HD receiver and a tv that can handle the HD signal.

ranchwest
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
You can receive your local channels in HD form Dish Network in all of the major markets. I have been receiving ABC, NBC,CBS,and FOX in HD from the Dallas networks for more than a year now. There is currently 31 HD channels plus my local networks in HD. It does require an HD receiver and a tv that can handle the HD signal.

The local channels are $5.99 a month (or $5 with qualified programming). I've been on Dish for 6 years. Had I not gotten the antenna, I'd have paid over $350 by now (at least). That makes the $150 antenna a pretty good deal. I'm getting 28 local channels (including the local station auxillary channels, such as weather, which I think is 3 channels).

ranchwest
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM

The old HD plan, which has only about 8 or so channels and I'm still on right now, is $10 a month. The current plan is about 27 channels (plus there are about 4 premium HD channels) for $20 a month. I suspicion you can't buy the old plan now.

ranchwest
03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
I just remembered, I get a few other local channels, but those are not in HD. I'm not sure exactly how many.

rrbauer
03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Not sure because I turned off the HD stuff last fall. At the time I had what rw is referring to as the "old" plan. It was being broadcast in MPEG2 and to get the newer stuff you needed a MPEG4 receiver. They wanted $150 upgrade fee to get the new receiver and I passed since the only "new" HD channel that interested me was ESPN2.

schweitz
03-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Ok, I get it now---I know I'm paying a lot---but I am getting everything except the foreign language channels.

ranchwest
03-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Not sure because I turned off the HD stuff last fall. At the time I had what rw is referring to as the "old" plan. It was being broadcast in MPEG2 and to get the newer stuff you needed a MPEG4 receiver. They wanted $150 upgrade fee to get the new receiver and I passed since the only "new" HD channel that interested me was ESPN2.

If you're still interested in the HD, you might consider the DVR instead of the HD receiver alone. Not suggesting that you do, just that at least the DVR would provide some true functionality.

rrbauer
03-30-2007, 08:36 PM
If you're still interested in the HD, you might consider the DVR instead of the HD receiver alone. Not suggesting that you do, just that at least the DVR would provide some true functionality.

I have a DISH HD Receiver/DVR and have had to replace it 3 times. The last time we had used it about 2 weeks...time before it crapped out with about 40 hours of programming on it that we hadn't watched! It's a 9xx model which has been superseded by a 6xx model which is another $199-to-upgrade item. The DVR hard-drive runs all the time unless I pull the plug! Oh! And, when I turned off the HD programming, I asked about getting a non-HD Receiver/DVR and that was $100 to downgrade!!!! My 18-month contract with them is up in mid-April. I will probably keep their basic service with one 3xx receiver (that I bought on eBay for $30 plus $10 shipping) so I can watch TVG and HRTV. But, my future is going to be with DirecTV and local OTA.

ranchwest
03-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Richard, how long would a handicapper last with that level of attention to quality control? (obviously you don't need to actually answer that question, unless you just want to answer) :(

Speaking of handicapping, if you'd be interested in talking handicapping, PM me your phone number.

rrbauer
04-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Richard, how long would a handicapper last with that level of attention to quality control? (obviously you don't need to actually answer that question, unless you just want to answer) :(

Speaking of handicapping, if you'd be interested in talking handicapping, PM me your phone number.

I'm still in Florida....will get back to you when I get home.

ranchwest
04-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm still in Florida....will get back to you when I get home.

Good deal.

ranchwest
04-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Richard, I put my antenna in the attic. It is huge and seems to do a pretty good job of bringing in the reception. I don't recall the size, but it must be about 12 feet wide or so. I bought the antenna from my Dish installer, so they installed everything at once and made sure it worked.

Only problem is that they recently started showing a copyright notice on the regular satellite program listings. When that started happening, I no longer got program listings for the local stations. I need to talk to them about that.

My local station program guides came back today. Hurray!

delayjf
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
A word of caution, if you decide to cancel your Dish account. You will be asked to retrieve a part of the dish to mail back meaning climbing to the top of the roof. At the time I lived in a 2 story apartment that required a long ladder which I borrowed from a contractor working nearby. Or you can pay 150.00 to have dish retrieve the part.

I had several recievers go bad on me, and Dish replaces them by mail, so you maybe without reception for a while.

Dave Schwartz
04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Are HRTV and TVG available in HD?

schweitz
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM

Not on Dish Network.

ranchwest
04-14-2007, 12:24 AM

I'm not sure because TVG Interactive is full screen, which suggests it may technically be HD. However, the track feeds are not HD, so it doesn't help much in viewing the horses. I get a nice view of the horses (when they're shown), but not an HD quality view.

rrbauer
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Dish HDTV is transmitted from a separate satellite, not the one TVG comes in from. If you alternate between one of their HDTV channels and TVG, you can see that the fine detail is not there on TVG like it is on the HDTV channel. When racing is being telecast by ESPN those telecasts are available on the ESPN-HD channel on Dish.

rrbauer
04-16-2007, 02:20 PM
A word of caution, if you decide to cancel your Dish account. You will be asked to retrieve a part of the dish to mail back meaning climbing to the top of the roof. At the time I lived in a 2 story apartment that required a long ladder which I borrowed from a contractor working nearby. Or you can pay 150.00 to have dish retrieve the part.

I had several recievers go bad on me, and Dish replaces them by mail, so you maybe without reception for a while.

Just curious...is the return of the "part" (I presume it's the LNB) covered in the contract that you have with Dish?

ranchwest
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Dish HDTV is transmitted from a separate satellite, not the one TVG comes in from. If you alternate between one of their HDTV channels and TVG, you can see that the fine detail is not there on TVG like it is on the HDTV channel. When racing is being telecast by ESPN those telecasts are available on the ESPN-HD channel on Dish.

I wasn't referring to the regular TVG channel. I'm talking about the Interactive transmission. This is the area where you can use the remote to look at the odds, will pays, payouts and the TVG broadcast. This is all full screen, as if it might be HD.

However, I'm pretty sure that none of the track broadcasts are HD, so for the view of the track there is not a signficicant advantage.

JustRalph
04-17-2007, 04:01 PM
I wasn't referring to the regular TVG channel. I'm talking about the Interactive transmission. This is the area where you can use the remote to look at the odds, will pays, payouts and the TVG broadcast. This is all full screen, as if it might be HD.

However, I'm pretty sure that none of the track broadcasts are HD, so for the view of the track there is not a signficicant advantage.

keeneland has HD cameras but nobody rebroadcasts in HD. At the track they have some monitors that are in HD and it looks great!

rrbauer
04-19-2007, 09:11 AM

Doesn't the interactive transmission come in on the same channel (405)? I have my tv-enhancements turned off in the Dish receiver so I don't know.

ranchwest
04-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Doesn't the interactive transmission come in on the same channel (405)? I have my tv-enhancements turned off in the Dish receiver so I don't know.

I have two receivers and I can get to Interactive from either one like this:

Press MENU, then 9. Dish Home, 4. Sports, 4. TVG.

On my HD receiver, the remote has a button to go directly to Interactive (the Dish Home step above).

rrbauer
04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
On my HD receiver, the remote has a button to go directly to Interactive (the Dish Home step above).

That's what I have turned off (via menu, setup, tv-enhancements on/off). When it's turned on there is an icon on the screen (on the TVG channel) that is annoying and sometimes blocks content on the telecast. Since I don't have a TVG-account and don't bet with my tv-remote seeing their web-site content is not useful to me.

ranchwest
04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
That's what I have turned off (via menu, setup, tv-enhancements on/off). When it's turned on there is an icon on the screen (on the TVG channel) that is annoying and sometimes blocks content on the telecast. Since I don't have a TVG-account and don't bet with my tv-remote seeing their web-site content is not useful to me.

Until recently I was using a desktop computer (the 3,000 pound internet device) and it was not in the same room as my television, so I found the Interactive screens with the odds, etc. to be very helpful.

Now that I'm using WIFI in the same room as the TV, I probably won't find Interactive to be as useful.