PDA

View Full Version : Steve Davidowitz Interview

stu
03-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Y'all,

As some of you may know Robert Geller, Robert Fox, and James Witherite-Rieg, and I are building Race Horse Radio from scratch. Our podcast based enterprise has provided brief timely shows up until now.

We are expanding our menu to offer an extend show with timeless information. Our new show On The Record (http://racehorseradio.net/shows/on_the_record/) is modeled after Bravo's Inside the Actors Studio. We have created an interview podcast to provide an
uninterrupted dialogue between one of our announcers and a guest.

Our first guest is Steve Davidowitz. Robert Geller asked Steve various questions relating to his latest book, The Best and Worst of Thoroughbred Racing, in addition to numerous racing topics.

Steve mentions all of the following horses in the interview: Barbaro, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, J.O. Tobin, Affirmed, Alydar, Citation,
Man O'War, and Fusaichi Pegasus to name a few. Steve also describes
what it takes for him to refer to a horse as 'great.'

The conversation is over 45 minutes and takes awhile to down load but please enjoy. I am biased as one of the founders of Race Horse Radio but think that this interview deserves to be included in what NPR calls driveway moments. It is so compelling you will want to listen to it through once you start in.

Stu

boomman
03-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Y'all,

As some of you may know Robert Geller, Robert Fox, and James Witherite-Rieg, and I are building Race Horse Radio from scratch. Our podcast based enterprise has provided brief timely shows up until now.

We are expanding our menu to offer an extend show with timeless information. Our new show On The Record (http://racehorseradio.net/shows/on_the_record/) is modeled after Bravo's Inside the Actors Studio. We have created an interview podcast to provide an
uninterrupted dialogue between one of our announcers and a guest.

Our first guest is Steve Davidowitz. Robert Geller asked Steve various questions relating to his latest book, The Best and Worst of Thoroughbred Racing, in addition to numerous racing topics.

Steve mentions all of the following horses in the interview: Barbaro, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, J.O. Tobin, Affirmed, Alydar, Citation,

The conversation is over 45 minutes and takes awhile to down load but please enjoy. I am biased as one of the founders of Race Horse Radio but think that this interview deserves to be included in what NPR calls driveway moments. It is so compelling you will want to listen to it through once you start in.

Stu

Stu: Any new avenue to promote our sport certainly has my support! I got to know Robert Geller from when we were both track announcers in New Mexico (he's still there, I moved on to Arizona) he's a great guy and loves horse racing! I'm confident that his involvement will be an asset to your organization and if there's ever anything I can do to assist, don't hesitate to ask. I actively participated with the guys up in the Pacific Northwest with their lovedagoat.com website, which also features interviews and is committed to promoting our sport as well.

Good Luck in your new endeavor!

Boomer

misscashalot
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Just heard the show. Interesting. What is the schedule for future interviews, and do you have any other guests lined up. Thanks and best wishes for your success. Matt

Indulto
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Wow! Davidowitz is as fascinating to listen to as he is to read. I would say he is the best interviewee I have heard on radio. He addresses questions promptly and comprehensively without any hesitation, and with obvious knowledge and passion.

The interviewer was also good, but with a rapid-fire responder, the questions sometimes appear haltingly dragged out, even though most of them must have been prepared ahead of time. In fairness, some of his contemporaries are capable of elevating that wait from irritating to excruciating. :D

46zilzal
03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Guy knows his stuff but disagree with him in his naming Sartin methods "pseudoscience."

QUOTE: "Steve mentions all of the following horses in the interview: Barbaro, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, J.O. Tobin, Affirmed, Alydar, Citation,

Doesn't anyone else see a glaring error in this group? One was a good three year old, the rest are legendary with the possible exception of J.O. Tobin.

46zilzal
03-20-2007, 04:38 PM
J. O. TOBIN 1978 Race Record: 11- 6-1-1 $355,100
Lifetime Record
(North America): 17- 9-2-1 $592,550

- Champion Two-Year-Old Colt in England (1976)
- Champion Sprinter in 1978
- Set a new track record of 1:47 for 1 1/8 miles at Hollywood Park
(1977)
- Won the 1978 Tom Fool H. at Belmont Park in 1:20 4/5 carrying 129
pounds

hardly legendary or great....GOOD but not great

stu
03-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Steve referred to JO Tobin in a different context during the interview. As he did with Bellamy Road and others, JO Tobin was just a name among many that was used in explaining his answers.

Stu

BeatTheChalk
03-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I heard the call of the race ..on the radio ...by Harry Henson. He is by far
theee best announcer ever in the history of the known world. In any case I
can hear his call of the race in my brain ! Oh Slew went on to have a fair career
in racing. As for Tobin ..only the Shadow knows.