PDA

View Full Version : Pie Publishing Continued

sligg
11-14-2002, 02:03 AM
11/13/02

There was only one track bulletin for today-Churchill Downs and this was the results:

Betting the Diamond Strategy there were three bets.

Race 2: Slewgiana: 5.8, 4.4, 3.4
Race 7: In Full Bloom: 3.4, 2.4, 2.2
Race 9: City Trust: 18.4, 7.4, 5.8

9 race cold exacta: 81.2
9 race cold triple: 1075.4

Naturally, I'm testing so I didn't bet.

Remember, there is no judgement involved unlike most computer programs.

I'm going to Aquduct thursday and I'll bet Murphy's Law becomes my partner.

After the full test, if still profitable anyone interested in sharing the subscription cost?

Dick Schmidt
11-14-2002, 03:43 AM
If you ever wondered why software developers and selectors leave the field so often, here is a perfect example. This service costs a mere $77 a month or so, and for that you get automatic picks that are beating the game. Some guy is sweating his guts out working the races so you don't have to. Your first response? Let's see how we can screw him out of one or more monthly fees!

The man gives you a $1000 tri, but you want to nickel and dime him out of business. I wish that the data providers charged more. A lot more. If HDW charged say $1000 a month, I'd be overjoyed. I'd get good data and all the "let's share a subscription" cheapskates would go back to counting pennies and bitching that they can't bet $.50. Unfortunately I'd most likely be their only customer.

You want the earth, moon and sky delivered on a silver platter, but are too cheap to tip the guy who delivers it. A winning service is worth at least the return on a $100 bet on each of its picks. More if it hits exotics. If this guy continues to win you should do three things: 1- send him more money. A lot more. 2- urge him to raise his prices at least 1000% 3- bet with both hands until the word gets out.

Dick

pic6vic
11-14-2002, 09:08 AM
DICK S

great reply

It seems everyone wants winners, but refuse to pay for the work someone has done to produce those winners.

CapperLou
11-14-2002, 09:56 AM
To Dick Schmidt:

Thank you for your wonderful post--right on the money!!

I was always taught that you get what you pay for in this world--and time has proved that statement to be true for me.
Many years ago I was learning more and more how to handicap and had the good fortune to meet a brilliant lawyer who happened to love horseracing. He taught me more than all the books I have ever read and showed me how to win almost all the time--even the best go sour for a month or two or choppy here and there.
The reason I mention this is because I wanted to pay him every day I was with him, but he would not hear of it. He had already made his "fortune" as an attorney.
He is the only man I have ever known personally who authored handicapping books and actually could "beat the races" by knowing what spots to play and where to back off.
Veterans here will recognize his pen name as William L. Scott.

You only get what you pay for--so don't even think about undercutting a successful horse picker. Enjoy the ride while you can.

rrbauer
11-14-2002, 02:30 PM
If I'm getting 40+% winners and dime tri's from some source, I'm keeping my mouth shut; not looking for partners; giving the source a bonus; and, laughing all the way to the bank.

sligg
11-14-2002, 08:12 PM
To all you high rollers on the PA board and especially you Dick, if you took offense at my suggestion, I apologize.

I'm a senior who is at that stage in life where recreation is more important than pursuing the making of money betting horses. My largest bet is $2 to win only but usually $1. This program was given to me as a gift and it appeared interesting and that is why I have been checking the results.

As of now I have concluded any further research with Pie Publishing. Whether it's successful or not is no longer important.
The cost of the program and computer printouts (> $1000/year) is prohibitive for my betting level.

Once again I apologize to all that were offended. I didn't know horse players had such high moral standards. And to you Dick, tone down your arrogance. Are you so pure that you can pass down judgement from your lofty pedestal.

superfecta
11-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sligg
To all you high rollers on the PA board and especially you Dick, if you took offense at my suggestion, I apologize.

I'm a senior who is at that stage in life where recreation is more important than pursuing the making of money betting horses. My largest bet is $2 to win only but usually $1. This program was given to me as a gift and it appeared interesting and that is why I have been checking the results.

As of now I have concluded any further research with Pie Publishing. Whether it's successful or not is no longer important.
The cost of the program and computer printouts (> $1000/year) is prohibitive for my betting level.

Once again I apologize to all that were offended. I didn't know horse players had such high moral standards. And to you Dick, tone down your arrogance. Are you so pure that you can pass down judgement from your lofty pedestal. Sal,if you are at the races for enjoyment rather than winning large sums of money,why not make your own picks rather than a high priced tipsheet?To me thats part of the entertainment and satisfaction of going to the track.I want to win or lose on my own terms,on my skills ,not on someones elses coattails.I don't mind learning something new,but I want to incorporate that info into my handicapping and make my own mind up on who to bet.If I were to let some program make my bet,that takes something away from the game.I can understand Dicks point,some people could have the ultimate program and still bitch about having to walk up to the window to collect.

JustMissed
11-15-2002, 01:48 PM
I agree 100% with what Dick said but would like to compliment most of the posters here for their sensitivity to the copyrighted material of others. I have seen several post where somebody wants to know about a particuliar move or system that is in somebody's book or whatever and the posters will most appropriately refer them to the website of the author rather than post the copyrighted material here. Really, if you can't afford the price of a book or the cost of a tout, then you probably should not be gambling in the first place.

I hoped the guy that posted about splitting the cost of the tout service just made a mistake in judgement and did not realize the harm in selling that material.

I hope we can continue to share and exchange ideas and sources of information as I am continualy amazed at how much great information I have gleaned from this board. I have also made purchases of serveral books that I heard about here, as I believe a good recommendation here is worth a hell of a lot. Keep up the great work and please be respectful to those who works so hard to give us that extra edge.

JustMissed
:)

GR1@HTR
11-15-2002, 02:01 PM
Anybody want to trade Bris files? <g>

Dave Schwartz
11-15-2002, 02:05 PM
JM,

I agree with your sentiments completely. That being said, have you ever considered a career in diplomacy? <G>

Truth be told, I'd bet that many tout services would condone a partnership arrangement providing it was not something distributed publicly (i.e. website, etc.).

Of course, the upfront thing to do is to discuss it with the vendor.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Doug
11-15-2002, 02:55 PM
I agree with Dave, talk with the vendor and if they have no objections then do it.

If Sal and another get together to purchase the picks and it is ok with the vendor then he has just profited on a subscription that he otherwise would not have had. If the subscriber have good success with the product they may tell others and more folks may subscribe.

If my wife and I both used the picks and he only played long priced horses and I played every pick, should we both subscribe?

Doug

Doug
11-15-2002, 03:09 PM
In reference to my above post, my wife is a she not a he.

Doug

hurrikane
11-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Doug. :D

keenang
11-15-2002, 07:22 PM
WHATS WITH THIS DICK S. GUY? I RECALL GOING TO A FEW SEMINARS WHEN HE WAS WITH THE SARTIN GROUP.HE WAS ARROGANT THEN AND I GUESS SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE.

Doug
11-15-2002, 08:30 PM
WHATS WITH THIS DICK S. GUY? I RECALL GOING TO A FEW SEMINARS WHEN HE WAS WITH THE SARTIN GROUP.HE WAS ARROGANT THEN AND I GUESS SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE.

Sounds like a jerk to me. The poster was sharing info on the board and asked if anyone would like to share the subscription cost and Dick S. had to jump down his throat with both feet.

Sal may not want to post here again I don't know, but if he does not then the rest of us lose as he was doing some testing on a product and we may never know the results.

Also to the poster that suggested that if Sal could not afford the cost of the subscription that hhe should be playing another game shame on you. Who the hell do you guys think you are?

Then Sal replies explaining his situation and apologises for insulting these jerks and not one of them has apoligized to him

Doug

GameTheory
11-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Well, Dick was a little harsh, but I also agree with him 100%. I'm sure Sal didn't mean anything by it but basically he was asking, "Who like to partner up to steal from Pie Publishing?"

And then in his apology he insulted everyone here by insinuating that horseplayers have low moral standards, which I didn't really appreciate being a horseplayer. It is bad enough so many non-horseplayers view us this way.

Am I being arrogant now?

Like I said, I'm sure Sal didn't really mean anything by it, but why shouldn't he be called on it if he (or anyone else) says something stupid?

JimG
11-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory

Like I said, I'm sure Sal didn't really mean anything by it, but why shouldn't he be called on it if he (or anyone else) says something stupid?

Something to ponder...if you talk to an acquaintance on the street and that person says some thing you consider stupid or not well thought out...do you verbally confront them or do you just think that is stupid...say nothing...and move on. I tend to do the latter as opposed to the former.

Jim

Doug
11-15-2002, 11:25 PM

I think several folks may have different opinions as to what is considered stupid and what is not.

Is there a rule or a law or something that defines what is stupid?
Are you the person that decides for the rest of us what is stupid?
If you have a winning day at the races do you report those winnings to the IRS? If not are you stealing from the government?
I understand you don"t have to, but morally shouldn't you do this?

How do you feel about calling somebody down if they are a bit harsh?

In your opinion is it better to hurt someones feelings or say (what you consider) stupid that imho doesn't hurt anybody one way or the other.

You guys jumped on Sal like he gave away military secrets to Iraq.

Doug

GameTheory
11-15-2002, 11:26 PM
Something to ponder...if you talk to an acquaintance on the street and that person says some thing you consider stupid or not well thought out...do you verbally confront them or do you just think that is stupid...say nothing...and move on. I tend to do the latter as opposed to the former

Yeah, but that's a some guy on the street. I consider this board sort of a mini-community and I actually think it is respectful to be honest and up-front with others participating here. If insulting comments are made by someone with a habit of making insulting comments, I'd likely just ignore them. It is precisely because I have no reason to believe that Sal is anything but a good guy that I would bother commenting.

I figure he would want to know that something he said was inappropriate and/or could be interpreted negatively. I would hope you all would extend me the same courtesy of letting me know when I was being an ass.

I'm leaving the door wide-open on that one, which will hopefully show I am not just trying to be combative for no reason.

joeprunes
11-16-2002, 10:56 AM
LIKE NONE OF YOU GUYS NEVER ASKED ABOUT A GOOD HANDICAPPERS PICK. GET REAL.

keenang
11-16-2002, 11:58 AM
I DIDN'T KNOW WE HAD THAT MANY SAINTS IN HORSERACING. LIKE GAME THEORY AND ALL. I AGREE WITH JOE PRUNES,ITS LIKE YOU FOLKS NEVER LET ANOTHER ON A TIP. THIS IS A HORSE RACE NOT A TERRORIST ATTACK. YOU JUMPED ON HIM[SAL] LIKE HE JUST COMMITTED A MURDER. LIGHTEN UP.

Derek2U
11-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Is Pizzola Pie Publishing? Just a thought: Maybe MP doesn't
care if 2 buds share a subscription.

Quinncom
11-17-2002, 09:01 PM
Results for the Diamond system for Fri,Sat & Sun--

Fri 3/11 loss 12.00
Sat 3/8 loss 2.40
Sun 4/10 loss 5.60

Totals
10/29 loss 20.00

Results somewhat different probably closer to normal!!

hurrikane
11-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks Quinn..
I'm sure those results won't make the marketing page.

Quinncom
11-19-2002, 03:33 PM
Diamond System Update:

Mon No Plays

Tues 0/2 $4.00 loss

Quinncom
11-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Diamond Update for today:

5/11 win $12.60 A little bit of a comeback!!

Cum Total:

15/42 loss $11.40

Quinncom
11-21-2002, 06:22 PM
Diamond update for today

1/5 loss 3.40

total

16/47 loss 14.80

Since all interest in this seems to have vanished this will be the last update.

Tom
11-21-2002, 06:27 PM
BUT......at what track are you playing the Diamond? What is your criteria for a hrose being a bet?

Quinncom
11-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Tom:

the tracks covered: Crc, Cd, Aqu, GG and Hol. one diamond or more.