PDA

View Full Version : David Wells

billrock
03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Reports say the Padres' 43-year-old starter has Type 2 diabetes, which the team says is controllable.

46zilzal
03-19-2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00522.html

philsfan07
03-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Reports say the Padres' 43-year-old starter has Type 2 diabetes, which the team says is controllable.

This is an odd quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2804147

"This is a major lifestyle change. I don't want this going to Type 1 diabetes," Wells told the newspaper."

I didn't think type 2 could 'turn into' type 1. I thought you were basically born with type 1 and that was essentially the only way you had it.

46zilzal
03-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I didn't think type 2 could 'turn into' type 1. I thought you were basically born with type 1 and that was essentially the only way you had it.

The longer one has to articificially alter their blood surgars rather than have natural factors vary it via feedback to the pancreas, the greater the chance that the pancreas will become exhausted and not produce any natural insulin at all. Most of the oral hypoglyemics(drugs that aid the type 2 diabetic) can keep a person at the level 2 stage for a long time, but MOST (especially without a lifestyle change) wind up as being insulin dependent either wholly, or in combination with standard oral hypoglycemic meds.

Much research paints a combination of genetic and environmental factors in all diabetics and the latter aspects (lack of diet control, excercise, smoking drinking) of lifestyle change are where the majority of these people fall off the wagon.

One CAN maintain a very normal life as a type one or a combination type 1/2 (both insulin and oral hypoglycemics) but EVERYONE of the people who have done it well, run their entire life like a drill instructor would new recruits: up at 5:00, juice, 10 minutes exercise, blood sugar test, sliding insulin dose, measure EXACTLY the combination of fast, carbs and protein for that meal and so on throughout the day everyday. They know exactly how much extra insulin to take when they exercise excessively or over-eat. They are careful never to check their sugars 4-6 times per day or whenever they feel out of sorts. You have to have almost an anal personality to continue this the rest of their life.