PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Question-Al Illich's Book: Name that track.

delayjf
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
On the cover of Al Illichs book he shows a picture of what looks like horses entering the far turn with the track grandstand in the background. I've always wondered what track that was. With the mountains in the background, I'm guessing the now defunk Centennial Park in Littleton Colorado. Anybody know for sure??

Greyfox
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Beats me. But picture is fuzzy at :

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/1700030172778080_0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sports-cards.listings.ebay.com/_Fan-Apparel-Souvenirs_Horse-Racing_W0QQa43238Z31005QQalistZa43238QQcoactionZco mpareQQcopagenumZ1QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ13QQpfidZ2637QQsa catZ24409QQsocmdZListingItemList&h=60&w=80&sz=3&hl=en&start=3&tbnid=ofEUiluU7w4CwM:&tbnh=56&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dal%2Billich%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DN

Greyfox
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Sorry. The above link didn't bring up the pic.

I saw it though via that link, e-bay, on Illich's book How To Pick Winners.

saevena
03-20-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure about the track on the cover, but I'd be careful about believing anything Illich wrote. In the book, he stated that Ira Hanford, winning rider of the 1936 Kentucky Derby (the horse was trained by Max Hirsch), had never ridden in a race before he rode in that Kentucky Derby. I was foolish enough to mention that fact? to a racing official at Laurel, who promptly informed me that it was not a fact. The official was right. Hanford was an apprentice, but he had ridden a number of winners before he won the Derby. Reader beware!

BeatTheChalk
04-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm not sure about the track on the cover, but I'd be careful about believing anything Illich wrote. In the book, he stated that Ira Hanford, winning rider of the 1936 Kentucky Derby (the horse was trained by Max Hirsch), had never ridden in a race before he rode in that Kentucky Derby. I was foolish enough to mention that fact? to a racing official at Laurel, who promptly informed me that it was not a fact. The official was right. Hanford was an apprentice, but he had ridden a number of winners before he won the Derby. Reader beware!

Now be nice to Mr Illich :) One of theee first great systems sellers of all
time. Like a machine. In the days when the costs were from 5 to 10 bucks
per system. I still have his classic around here someplace.
We tried and tried ..but the rules were so tight -- we never got a play.
Or if we did .. it was the stone cold chalk. :bang:

socantra
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Illich did a lot of correspondence courses on racing at one time and they were probably better than the general run of racing materials available at that time. His discussion of weight and jockey riding style is very good at a time when weight was considered a major factor. Robert V. Rowe claimed that Illich had the only viable tote board method he had ever seen.

He may have missed the fact about Ira Hanford, but Hanford was an 18 year old apprentice who was a contract rider for Mary Hirsch, one of the first female trainers around. He had ridden and won, but probably not a lot. He also had never before appeared in a major race.

socantra

saevena
04-09-2007, 11:56 AM
The reason Mary Hirsch rode Ira Hanford was that he had ridden two winners for her the previous week. I tested Illich's Daily Double method (was it called the Secret Play?) and it failed miserably, about 18 plays, and I don't think one of them finished in the money, yet won. Maybe Rowe was a member of the "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" society, of which there are many members.

sjmeola
04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
For what it is worth

I really enjoyed Illich's old book..

I sure did cash a lot beautiful bombs in my early days (early 90's) with his daily double tote board angle, where the sharpies hide the money..

I have no clue but I bet this little gem could find some betting koo's even to this day ?

Regards,

Sam

Pace Cap'n
04-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I have no clue but I bet this little gem could find some betting koo's even to this day ?

Regards,

Sam

Ask Karl.

karlskorner
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Good angle 20/30 years ago, just as good today. Could be the cause for leaving the track early.

BeatTheChalk
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Good angle 20/30 years ago, just as good today. Could be the cause for leaving the track early.

I sorta remember it ....But could you clarify the angle for all of us who
can't recall angles...can't remember where the car keys are ...and
dont know if Jerry Bailey's new book is any good :bang:

karlskorner
04-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Put it in your PM box. Play with it awhile before you wager, until you get the knack, than enjoy the results.

proffdw
06-12-2007, 03:53 AM
hi
i just saw your post,and you're right a person could get a lot of big winners with illich's secret play,i know because i got a lot of them at the old longacres racetrack many years ago,and then for 3 years when they ran the horses at yakima meadows i also got some good winners each time i went to portland meadows in oregon.i went to emerald downs for the first 4 years,but it didn't get too many winners.it seemed like no method i used there would do very good,but you're right i believe a person could get some good winners even today at certain tracks.i don't know how that person who said he had 18 losers in a row.people in the back stretch do hide money in the daily double,exacta.and probably even the trifecta if they would show the trifecta payoffs.the last ten years or so when i went to longacres i used tote board
methods,so i know a lot about the money that's bet on a
race.well if you would like to talk about horse racing send me an email to proffdw@yahoo.com d w stevens

Greyfox
06-12-2007, 06:11 AM
well if you would like to talk about horse racing send me an email to proffdw@yahoo.com d w stevens

Why would we need to e mail anyone to talk about horse racing? That's the purpose of this message board.:bang:

KingChas
06-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Agreed, if learned when and how to use it. :cool:

Here's the pic;http://cgi.ebay.com/AL-ILLICHS-Classic-RACE-HORSE-Handicapping-Book-1978_W0QQitemZ120130441688QQcmdZViewItem

BeatTheChalk
06-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Agreed, if learned when and how to use it. :cool:

Here's the pic;http://cgi.ebay.com/AL-ILLICHS-Classic-RACE-HORSE-Handicapping-Book-1978_W0QQitemZ120130441688QQcmdZViewItem

Dang I had the book at one time ... It could be tucked away someplace :)
Al was one of the early great systems sellers. His one Best System took so
long to get the winner .. that the race was over before you could bet it :bang: