PDA

View Full Version : Stevens/Nakatani

bigmack
03-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Corey Nakatani said that former jockey and Hall of Fame rider Gary Stevens has agreed to take his book.

“We talked about it this morning,” Nakatani said following Saturday's racing card at Santa Anita. “I think it will be a good move for me. I can learn a lot from him.”
http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=38054

I say Nakatani on a TKO in the 6th round.

http://www.uselessgraphics.com/box52.gif

ELA
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
From what I heard, Corey went to Gary. Not that it means the world, but it might mean something. There is no question that Corey can learn from Stevens -- on the jockey side of the game. Maybe on other levels as well. If Corey sees this as a good move, and feels he can learn, etc. he may be more inclined to make it a good move, learn, etc.

Everyone knows that Ron Anderson runs any backside he's on anywhere in North America, and Corey knows it all to well. I hope he works hard at making this work. Making your debut as an agent is never an easy thing, especially at one of the major racing circuits. Getting the phone to ring when you have a jock like Corey is not difficult, but being an agent is incredibly more than that.

One thing -- I don't know anything about Gary's weight, and whether or not he still gets on horses, but if he does/can -- this could be an edge. Gary has never been an agent and being a great jock doesn't make a great agent. Gary is well liked and well respected and that will help also.

Eric

JustRalph
03-18-2007, 06:55 PM
why the hell is Stevens doing this? Did he not stick enough money away?

Is he not getting a big payday from NBC or TVG? What is the deal with this?

jotb
03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
One thing -- I don't know anything about Gary's weight, and whether or not he still gets on horses, but if he does/can -- this could be an edge. Gary has never been an agent and being a great jock doesn't make a great agent. Gary is well liked and well respected and that will help also.

Eric[/QUOTE]

Hello Eric:

I was under the impression that an agent that was an ex-rider was unable to get on horses in the morning. I remember that was a problem in NY awhile back with Jockey Agent Angel Cordero and his rider John Velazquez. Actually I don't think it's fair to the other agents. Also, I think that ex-jocks don't make sharp agents. The reason they do as well as they do is because they have the connections and usually have a jock that is high profile. Of course it's extremly important for an agent to have the clients but that does not make them sharp. It's not that difficult to pick up a phone. A good agent is an agent that makes a jockey. I know if I had a top tier jock I'm sure my jock would be in the top 10 in the country.

Best regards,
Joe

bigmack
03-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Let's not forget in early 2000 GStevens announced his new found role as a jockeys agent. One week later he declared his retirement from said "new found role"

Like a woman I met. At first it was hubba hubba & and ding ding, I told her "Baby, you got everything" A week later it was hubba hubba & a ding ding dong "Baby, it sure didn't last too long"

Indulto
03-18-2007, 07:38 PM
... I was under the impression that an agent that was an ex-rider was unable to get on horses in the morning. I remember that was a problem in NY awhile back with Jockey Agent Angel Cordero and his rider John Velazquez. Actually I don't think it's fair to the other agents. Also, I think that ex-jocks don't make sharp agents. The reason they do as well as they do is because they have the connections and usually have a jock that is high profile. Of course it's extremly important for an agent to have the clients but that does not make them sharp. It's not that difficult to pick up a phone. A good agent is an agent that makes a jockey.Didn't Cordero actually ride a few races while he was still Velazquez's agent?

I remember ELA saying Cordero had an edge because he could get on a horse, but it seems to me that would be a benefit more to the trainer than the jockey; and then only if the trainer actually believed Cordero's knowledge as a trainer and horseman was superior to his own.

Well, it's been said that Cordero used to ride more than one horse in a race. Maybe now he ghost-trains them as well. ;)

ELA
03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Let's not forget in early 2000 GStevens announced his new found role as a jockeys agent. One week later he declared his retirement from said "new found role"

Like a woman I met. At first it was hubba hubba & and ding ding, I told her "Baby, you got everything" A week later it was hubba hubba & a ding ding dong "Baby, it sure didn't last too long"

I remember it. I didn't count that one, LOL.

As far as an agent getting on horses (in NY), I've heard the same thing over and over again. Some have said it's a rule, others have said it is not but more so a policy that was never formalized. I have no idea what the actual fact is. All I know is what I see, and I think we all know the deal, LOL. Can it be a rule? Hard to believe, LOL.

Like I said, a great jockey doesn't mean great agent. However, with Angel, you are talking about a monster edge. We are not talking about an ex-jockey here -- we are probably talking about THE ex-jockey, perhaps of all time. Regarding the job, and all that -- anyone who thinks it's easy, go out and try it. I never have, but I've spent numerous "spend the day with an agent" because the job has always fascinated me.

jotb, I am sure you are not saying it's mostly about "picking up a phone". Of course having clients doesn't mean a guy is sharp. I am sure there are some/many of those who have the clients and aren't sharp. I also know you are not saying it's easy. I for one do not view Ron Anderson's job as easy. Not at all. Being the best at anything is not easy, even for an agent and even if you have the best jock. Gomez was not the # 1 jock in the US when Ron asked him for his book. He might have been a top jock and coming on strong, etc. Does anyone not think Ron brought jerry Bailey to a higher level when he became his agent (after Bob Frieze)? I don't think Ron is the best because he has the clients -- I think he has the clients because he's the best.

Eric

maxwell
03-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Steven's seems to wander around like a lost soul in the desert ... and Moses thought he was forsaken! :D

Has he tried training horses yet?

I hope things work out for them but my gut feeling is it won't.

ELA
03-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Didn't Cordero actually ride a few races while he was still Velazquez's agent?

I remember ELA saying Cordero had an edge because he could get on a horse, but it seems to me that would be a benefit more to the trainer than the jockey; and then only if the trainer actually believed Cordero's knowledge as a trainer and horseman was superior to his own.

Well, it's been said that Cordero used to ride more than one horse in a race. Maybe now he ghost-trains them as well. ;)

I think Cordero getting on horses is a monster edge. The edge can be in many different places though, not just from the "trainer" perspective.

Eric

ELA
03-18-2007, 10:39 PM
BTW, I think the rule about an agent getting on horses or about who can be an agent/exercise rider, I think exists in KY. I remember Angel having to take a formal "vacation" from being Johnny's agent prior to the KY, so that he could formally be an exercise rider for Todd Pletcher. At least that's what it said at the time on TVG.

Eric