PDA

View Full Version : Access Win/Beaten Lengths

douglasw32
03-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I thought I better give this it's own thread...

Well if ANYONE can help, I would love it !

I figure if this works (the old thread for converting to seconds from miniutes in access) and you can apply logic there must be a way if field 53 is a 1 meaning a winning race and field 54 is Lengths back to tell 54 that the lengths back are actually the winning margin...

any formula to say "hey access - if 53 was a 1 lets make 54 a 0" ???

sjk
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
It is probably most convenient to define a new variable to replace field54 in the subsequent calculations as:

new field = iif([field53]=1,0,[field54]).

If you actually want to change the value in 54 apply an update query where you use the above as the "update to" value for 54.

douglasw32
03-18-2007, 04:12 PM
YES again from sjk... you are a databse master THANKS SO MUCH !

ranchwest
03-18-2007, 11:23 PM
From my own experience, I wouldn't suggest over-writing any of the data in your source data. I'd make a backup copy of the source data. Someday you might want to look at things the way the source data was presented.

K9Pup
03-19-2007, 08:04 AM
From my own experience, I wouldn't suggest over-writing any of the data in your source data. I'd make a backup copy of the source data. Someday you might want to look at things the way the source data was presented.

Yep, I agree. If you want to "change" a field just create a new one. That way you can always go back and change how you changed it!