PDA

View Full Version : Bettors screwed again!

cj
11-12-2002, 10:50 AM
How is it that Hollywood is paying the winners for 5 out of 5 in the Pick 6 for Monday but not including the carryover in the pool? I doubt many of those would have played the bet if not for the carryover. Another screw job by track management IMO.

CJ

BillW
11-12-2002, 12:16 PM
CJ

Question:

Was this stated in the rules ahead of time or did they just make it up after the situation arose?

so.cal.fan
11-12-2002, 12:44 PM
The payoffs for the Pick 6, Pick 4, Pick 3, Late Double and Place Pick All were determined by California Horse Racing Board Rules,
according to officials at Hollywood Park.
It's all to :confused: Another good reason for me to keep my money in the win pools.

PurplePower
11-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Texas' Rules of Racing state that if a race of a "Pick N" is cancelled, all money wagered into the pick six that day is paid to those holding tickets with most winners. It further states that any "carryover" amount NOT be paid on that day but carried over to the next wagering day. I am not sure about California, but I suspect the rule there is the same.

Section 321.312:
m) Except as otherwise provided by this subsection, if one or more races in the pick (n) are canceled or declared a "no race", the amount contributed to the major pool for that performance shall be added to the minor pool for that performance and distributed as an extra amount in the minor pool to the holders of the tickets that designate the most winners in the remaining races. All contributions to the major pool from prior performances shall remain in the major pool, to be carried forward to the next performance to be paid in the major pool for that performance (Italics mine)

When I teach a Trainers' Exam prep class, most taking those classes are surprised to learn that some actions taken by racing officials are prescribed by the Rules of Racing and are not just capricious acts designed to harm that inidividual trainer.

In this case, Churchill Downs, Inc. did not make the decision as to how that wager would be paid, the Legislature of the state of California made that decision. Track management makes enough decisions that don't seem to follow logical reasoning, but every now and then they are just following the rules.

Now, how will I invest my $10 into that pick six tomorrow?