The maybe no safe bets

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/columns/beyerandrew/

Steve Crist

Doing the Pick 6 math

www.drf2000.com

so.cal.fan
11-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Beyer writes:
" Reviewing a year of Pick Six results would be laborious and expensive. Moreover, some people in the industry don't want to look for the truth, fearing it would simply tarnish their sport further".

Del Mar reviewed all their pick six payoffs.......as soon as this thing became public. I'm sure all the other So. Cal tracks did the same.

rrbauer
11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
socalfan wrote:
Del Mar reviewed all their pick six payoffs.......as soon as this thing became public. I'm sure all the other So. Cal tracks did the same.

I don't know who did what. What I do know is that whatever has been done; or, hasn't been done, has not been offered up for public scrutiny.

I have been told by a member of the CHRB that one of his biggest frustrations is the inability to get P6 payoff information (ticket size, ticket configuration, where purchased, etc.) from the state's racetracks. This was earlier this year before the BC Ultra Six scandal broke.

So, if a guy who has the appropriate clout can't get the information, what chance does the horseplaying public have of getting it?

It's too convenient, in my mind, for this security intrusion to have been limited to three (3) times in the month of October. Particularly, when the tote/track principals admit that the early October caper would have gone unnoticed had it not been for the BC situation; and, from my own perspective, I believe that the BC caper was uncovered via dumb luck. If a favorite had won the Classic, it would still be business as usual and noone would be the wiser.

I think that we're getting a big stonewall job instead of what we deserve, which is the truth; the whole truth; and, nothing but the truth. (How's that!)

cj
11-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Beyer writes:

socalfan,

I wish I shared in your trust of racetrack management.

CJ

so.cal.fan
11-12-2002, 04:04 PM
That is what a spokesperson from Del Mar reported on the Del Mar website right after this broke.
This person has always gotten good information, so I assumed it was true.
I will ask around elsewhere and find out if, indeed this happened.
Yes CJM, I guess I would sure like to have faith in them.
I do not have any confidence in officials at Hollywood Park or at Santa Anita, but I always felt at least some of the people at Del Mar were okay.