PDA

View Full Version : KY Swamped with Unwanted Horses

highnote
03-15-2007, 02:41 AM
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070314/unwanted_horses.html?.v=1

Tough situation. I hope it gets sorted out.

Interesting article, though.

It is legal in all states to shoot an unwanted horse.

Connecticut bans the sale of horse meat in public places. Does that mean it is legal to sell it privately?

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Let me get this straight. This article is trying to garner sympathy for the fact that it costs a whopping $150 to put down a horse in a humane manner?

If you can't afford $150 to put down your horse in a humane way, then you shouldn't be owning horses in the first place.

kenwoodallpromos
03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Who besides the Thoroughbred industry are breeding horses with a lifespan of 25-30 years without a thought that some may live that long?

highnote
03-15-2007, 01:55 PM
If you can't afford $150 to put down your horse in a humane way, then you shouldn't be owning horses in the first place.

I think that is part of the problem that the article is pointing out. Some people could probably afford them at one time and then fell upon hard times. Some people have just let their horses loose and they've joined wild herds. Others, thinking they are being humane, let them starve rather then send them to slaughter.

Remember, some of this takes place in rural Kentucky, not New York City. $150 may not be much in NYC. $150 can be a lot harder to come by in some parts of Appalachia. Given the choice between feeding your family or spending $150 on a vet to put down your horse, the choice is pretty clear.

Ponyplayr
03-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I think that is part of the problem that the article is pointing out. Some people could probably afford them at one time and then fell upon hard times. Some people have just let their horses loose and they've joined wild herds. Others, thinking they are being humane, let them starve rather then send them to slaughter.

Remember, some of this takes place in rural Kentucky, not New York City. $150 may not be much in NYC. $150 can be a lot harder to come by in some parts of Appalachia. Given the choice between feeding your family or spending $150 on a vet to put down your horse, the choice is pretty clear.If my family were that hungry..I would feed them the horse.

highnote
03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
If my family were that hungry..I would feed them the horse.

LOL.. That's exactly what I was thinking! :D

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Remember, some of this takes place in rural Kentucky, not New York City. $150 may not be much in NYC. $150 can be a lot harder to come by in some parts of Appalachia. Given the choice between feeding your family or spending $150 on a vet to put down your horse, the choice is pretty clear.

I knew that this would be a comeback to my statement, I just didn't know who would be the one to use it.

If you're talking rural Kentucky, then you're not talking about racehorse owners and breeders, are you? You're talking about an entirely different segment of the horse population.

Would it be fair to assume that a good portion of the horses slaughtered in the USA come from a racing background, be it Thoroughbred or Quarter Horse? (I'm not sure how big an impact Standardbreds play, so I won't comment there.)

And if that is a safe assumption, then I'm not going to concern myself too much with rural Kentucky, where someone on some farm can't afford to keep their plow-horse and can't afford the $150 to put the horse down. I would also venture a guess that the folks in rural Kentucky are far more comfortable with putting a bullet in their horse's head then your average horse owner.

Excuse the cynic in me, but that entire article sounds like it could have been bought and paid for by the slaughterhouse lobby. I'm sure that's not the case, but then again, that's the first thing my cynical side thought of while I was reading the piece.

highnote
03-15-2007, 11:39 PM
I knew that this would be a comeback to my statement, I just didn't know who would be the one to use it.

I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew... LOL

If you're talking rural Kentucky, then you're not talking about racehorse owners and breeders, are you? You're talking about an entirely different segment of the horse population.

I'd have to reread the article. Not sure.

Would it be fair to assume that a good portion of the horses slaughtered in the USA come from a racing background, be it Thoroughbred or Quarter Horse? (I'm not sure how big an impact Standardbreds play, so I won't comment there.)

Interesting. I have no idea where slaughterhouses get most of their horses. I wouldn't be surprised if they come from the racetrack.

I would also venture a guess that the folks in rural Kentucky are far more comfortable with putting a bullet in their horse's head then your average horse owner.

Son, ya'll need to spend some time with some country folk. ;)

Why in the hell would someone in rural KY be more comfortable putting a bullet through their horse's head than someone in metropolitan NYC? Because they're just dumb hayseeds who lack the elevated feelings and compassion of sophisticated New Yorkers?

I could argue that a person from the city would be more comfortable with it since they live in a world where they constantly have to be on guard while they're walking down the street lest some drug addicted mugger slice their throat and steal their purse or wallet.

Of course, both arguments are without merit.

I doubt there are many people in the world who would be comfortable having to put a bullet through a horse's head. My grandfather had to put his plow horse down 80 years ago with a bullet to the head. It was also a family pet. I know it broke his heart.

Excuse the cynic in me, [...]

When you read about unfortunate circumstances in any industry you're passionate about you can be excused for being cynical.

but that entire article sounds like it could have been bought and paid for by the slaughterhouse lobby.

I never got that. I thought that one of the issues the writer was trying to raise was that there are herds of wild horses roaming rural Kentucky.

I was just trying to raise awareness by posting a link to the article.

Ponyplayr
03-16-2007, 01:23 AM
LOL.. That's exactly what I was thinking! :DBURP :cool: :cool:

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Son, ya'll need to spend some time with some country folk. ;)

Why in the hell would someone in rural KY be more comfortable putting a bullet through their horse's head than someone in metropolitan NYC? Because they're just dumb hayseeds who lack the elevated feelings and compassion of sophisticated New Yorkers?

No, not at all. I would think someone in rural KY would be more comfortable because I would think someone in rural KY would be operating on a large farm (one of the reasons they have horses). I would also think that having a farm and tending to a bunch of different animals would make it more likely that someone in rural KY has had prior experience with putting their own animals down that have become injured or ill.

You say they are in rural KY. Rural tends to mean isolated, meaning no easy or quick access to vets. This means they are more likely to take matters into their own hands than someone in metropolitan NYC who has much easier access to vets.

Is everything I type this week going to be interpreted as a slight?

Ponyplayr
03-16-2007, 02:06 AM
No, not at all. I would think someone in rural KY would be more comfortable because I would think someone in rural KY would be operating on a large farm (one of the reasons they have horses). I would also think that having a farm and tending to a bunch of different animals would make it more likely that someone in rural KY has had prior experience with putting their own animals down that have become injured or ill.

You say they are in rural KY. Rural tends to mean isolated, meaning no easy or quick access to vets. This means they are more likely to take matters into their own hands than someone in metropolitan NYC who has much easier access to vets.

Is everything I type this week going to be interpreted as a slight?It boils down to perspective..feed yo family.raise a Hoss...What it is ;)

highnote
03-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Is everything I type this week going to be interpreted as a slight?

No. I was just breaking your stones.

I've had two days off from work this week and I'm in a pretty good mood. I've also got the next three off! :jump:

Look out!! :D