PDA

View Full Version : HSH/PA Special! Act fast

Dave Schwartz
06-25-2001, 02:07 AM
Here it is, 11pm on a Sunday evening. Just had a bright idea.

Since I know there have been a couple of Pace Advantage posters interested in the HorseStreet Handicapper, I thought I'd offer a 36-hr special.

Here's how it works: Call and order the HSH program from us before Tuesday, 6/26 at 11am and mention that you saw it on "PA" and get the program for $424. That's $125 off just for saying the magic word: "PA."

This offer will absolutely die a quiet death Tuesday morning at 11am, so don't delay.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Yes, I got PA's permission before posting this.

WaHoo
06-25-2001, 10:05 AM
do you ever post your selections free, before i would pay that much for something i would like to see how it works. i play mostly the exotics at lone star and hollywood.. if a program works, that should sell it for you

Dave Schwartz
06-25-2001, 12:11 PM
Buffalo,

My selections and your selections could be very different.

You'd learn a lot more by checking out our bbs and see what people say about it. Or, better yet, ask for an opinion from current users.

http://www.horsestreet.com/messageboard/Ultimate.cgi

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

WaHoo
06-25-2001, 06:49 PM
i've read some of the topics ,seems like a hard program to learn, and posted selections you have to be a member to read. if you have ten people with ten different defaults how do you make money? i'm not knocking your program, just curious on how it works

Dave Schwartz
06-25-2001, 08:23 PM
Buffalo,

No offense taken.

HSH is tough compared to most other programs because most programs lead you down a certain path where HSH is more free-form (for lack of a better word).

It is extremely flexible. Flexibility demands that a program be more complex. Most people find that they are hungering for MORE flexibility after they have had it for a couple of weeks because they get so used to doing it their way, or at least closer to their way.

I originally wrote this post as a somewhat long post, but I just do not feel this is the right venue for such a blatant sales pitch. I would prefer to email my response to you.

I hope I answered your question. (No, actually, I hope I left you with enough questions to send me an email requesting more info. <G>)

Regards,
Dave

Dick Schmidt
06-25-2001, 09:24 PM
Buffalo and others,

I have used this program since its inception, and I can tell you that it is truly a bitch to learn, hard to use and no two users seem to agree on anything. If you are looking for a program that leads you through the race in a nice, easy to follow, rational manner, then tells you which horses to bet at what price, this isn't it. Run as fast as you can from this and be very afraid!

On the other hand, with all its faults and constant upgrades, this sucker does produce. You have to work at it, but at the end of the day, it shows a profit for its users. Not many programs can say that.

Dave runs a one man shop, and many times gets behind. However, slowly but surely he is creating a handicapping environment that is redefining handicapping software. This software is a journey rather than a destination.

Dick

WaHoo
06-25-2001, 11:23 PM
thanks for your answer, it's just i'm a little slow when it comes to computers and programs.. computer are like changing spark plugs on a car it's easy if you know what spark plugs are... i'll keep reading thanks again

Slider
06-26-2001, 01:38 AM
Horsestreet handicapping program (HSH) has been well covered on this board. Unfortunately, most of the posts were lost on the changeovers PA had to make.
I will very briefly cover some of its key points. Click a button and see the early speed horses and the early speed failures, see the dangerous favorites, see the late speed, see who is in and out of form, see the class horse from earnings and from competitive race levels, see and sort the final times, run the pace module and see the pace contenders, see the trainers and jockey ratings and records, see the workouts times and distances and their HSH ratings, see the pacelines with running positions and beaten lengths, see the HSH composite factors (many factors put together and weighted into one factor) along with their raw numbers and rankings for this race, etc.
Whatever you want to see and work with is already there or Dave will put it in for you. You can save each days races and results for testing and analysis or even export it into a database or spreadsheet if that is your bag.
HSH will make a good handicapper better and it will teach the starting handicappers who are willing to work. It is not a black box however, it does have many methods and buttons that show a profit at many tracks for the meet. It has the option to enter the last minute odds and will show the overlays and underlays along with their win percentages.
The program is great for the experienced handicapper who is tired of spending all their time making calculations of the factors they prefer. It opens up doors that many do not even know exist.
As for picks, I play 4 or 5 tracks a day and do not even look at the race until 5 minutes till post time. And yes, I am showing a nice profit for the 6 months I have had the program. And, I am still learning new and better ways to use the program each month as my handicapping abilities aided by HSH improve.

Dave Schwartz
06-26-2001, 09:31 AM
Max,

Regarding horses bet below the morning line: Actually, there is a button for that. There is also a "3%" button which shows horses with a movement of 3% or more in the pool from the way the public "usually bets the money."

A huge pct of the winners have this factor, yet we have not been able to find a way to make money from it. (yet)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Vinnie
06-26-2001, 02:03 PM
Hello Dave! I really thought that it was an Awesome thing that you did to put your excellent HSH software up for sale for a day or so and to make everyone aware of the fact that you did. Dave, I have heard nothing short of "Rave Reviews" about how Super HSH is (deservedly so), and I am not doubting in any sort of way that it is indeed "Super Software." I would just like to make a mere suggestion, however. Is there any way that you could put out some sort of DEMO say for a 30 day span that would self-destruct (crash ware)? That way, the people checking it out and utilizing the demo will get the chance to see and utilize the attributes that your HSH software has to offer. Dave, you are a class guy, and an AWESOME Programmer! I would just simply love to see a Demo of HSH as I am sure so many others would as well.

This is only a suggestion if you please Dave!

Warm Regards,

Jake
06-26-2001, 02:22 PM
"Horsestreet handicapping program (HSH) has been well covered on this board. Unfortunately, most of the posts were lost on the changeovers PA had to make."

While that's true, going to search and using "Horsestreet" brings up a large number of threads that discusses the HSH program and how it works. Worth the effort.

anotherdave
06-26-2001, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by buffalo
do you ever post your selections free, before i would pay that much for something i would like to see how it works. i play mostly the exotics at lone star and hollywood.. if a program works, that should sell it for you

Dave,

What ever happened to HSH day at the races from a few months ago? You were going through selections in real time for a whole bunch of tracks for one day. I thought it was a great idea to see it work in the trenches (5 minutes to post). I seem to remember it got called off because of some timing problem. Is there any plan to try to do this again? A lot of people seem to have some interest in HSH, but they would like something to
look at before they spend that kind of money. If a demo isn't practical, maybe the Day At The Races would help us see what it could do.

Slider
06-26-2001, 04:41 PM
Vinnie
A 30 day trial with HSH will not work for the buyer nor the seller because you would not even be able to scratch the surface of the things this program will do. The seller gives you many hours of personal instruction to aid your learning and this time is part of the purchase price.
Vinnie did you learn to handicap in 30 day or over many years? HSH is a handicapping tool that you learn to handicap with. You do not need a racing form to use it. You do not need a calculator to make your favorite figures or factors. You do need to learn how to read it and what to look for depending upon the race you are handicapping. This thing will stretch your mind.

Vinnie
06-26-2001, 05:16 PM
Slider:

I know where you are coming from, and I appreciate your feedback. Of course, handicapping is an ever evolving art form and it takes a very long time (normally) to develop ones skills. I am sure that the HSH software is very complex in its makeup, and I am also pretty sure that it takes quite some time to get accustomed to all of the features of the program. But Slider, there has to be some way for the average person to be able to check it out without buying the program first beforehand. I know that I am not alone when I say that "I too have purchased programs in the past that I have paid far more money than I care to remember on only to be disappointed in them in the long run.

I appreciate your message Slider. The point that you have made (about the complexity of the software) is well taken.

Great Capping to you!

Dave Schwartz
06-26-2001, 05:34 PM
I had this post all written and just before I hit send, I saw that a better response had already been made by Slider.

Thanks, Slider. <G>

As for the "Day at the Races" I have had a problem getting that to work because my provider's clock is several minutes behind the real world. I have not, in all this time, been able to get them to update it and keep it correct. The problem is that we would be accused of past-posting.

There is also the problem that I have spent the last 6 weeks with my nose to the grindstone. I (personally) have not made a single bet since Derby weekend, as I recall. This pace will probably continue for several more weeks.

About HSH
========
Our paradigm, as a company (small though we may be) is that we are totally commited to several things:

1. Developing the best software we can develop.
2. Assisting the user to develop into a profit-making entity with our software.

Obviously, with my personal workload (as referenced in an earlier paragraph) I cannot spend 3 or 4 hours each day with customers. I try to limit telephone time to no more than 7 or 8 hours per week. The rest of the slack is picked up by our community of users.

And that community is tremendous. They are the intelligensia of handicapping. Heck, a lot of them are PA posters.

Essentially, we are a community of handicappers using a common product. I am the programming extension of that community. I (try) to respond to what the community wants. That is why there are so many upgrades: Because people ask for things; they have ideas that they want to see show up in the program they use but do not have the expertise or time to put it there themselves.

We welcome the opportunity to bring more open minded, positive people into that community. That is what this is all about.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Lefty
06-26-2001, 10:03 PM
Vinnie, evaluate HSH like I did. Go to site, take the tour;
read every msg. on bbs old and new. That's what I did and it whetted my apettite. Then I bought.

Tuffmug
06-28-2001, 11:22 PM
Damn! Missed the special sale again. Dave, I was watching YOUR BOARD for the special! Oh well, next times the charm.

By the way, does program still use ITS data files?

Thanks,

Dave Schwartz
06-28-2001, 11:50 PM
Tuffmug,

It uses ITS or HDW files (by monthly subscription).

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Vinnie
06-29-2001, 05:35 PM
Dave, I hope that you don't get offended by this post in anyway because I have a heck of a lot of respect for you as an individual as well as a software programmer. In reference to the previous message posted by anotherdave where he had asked if you would mind preposting some selections made by HSH? In a previous thread you had mentioned that your selections could indeed be far different than those of another user. (I agree). Since you are the vendor of HSH and are more familiar with all of its capabilities far more than any other user ordinarily would be, wouldn't you yourself understand how to utilize it for making general selections such as Win wagers for a specific racetrack on a given race day far better than most users of HSH would be? Just from reading about how Super a Program HSH is, I am sure that it has a numerous functions that will assist the person utilizing the program at determining their best selections depending on any number of other variables that are present at the track being played on a given race day. I am sure that just from reading what other users have to say about this aspect of your software all of those types of variables are far too many in number to even begin to mention. As for the software being so difficult that a 30 day demo wouldn't benefit either yourself (the programmer) or the future user because it is too difficult to learn. Isn't most software, handicapping or otherwise designed to assist the user and not to make the process more difficult but to simplify the process somewhat so the user can come to reasonable decisions more quickly?

If you would be so kind as to post some of the selections for virtually any track that you prefer to play, I would appreciate it a great deal. Several other vendors of software currently available on the market post plays almost every day without fail because they more than likely wish for people to see what type of results that their software is able to attain. I must say Dave, I have never heard anything short of "Rave Reviews" about your excellent software program. Dave, don't you believe that by having a Demo, if you were allowing a prospective purchaser about 30 days minimum to check it out, that they would find that HSH is "something that they personally couldn't do without in their handicapping arsenal"?

Once again Dave, I hope that you don't take my post the wrong way. I was just very curious as to why you have never had a demo version of your HSH program. If most people interested were allowed to use such a Demo you would probably have to do all that you could to just keep up with the overwhelming demand there would be for your product.

All the BEST to you Always Dave!

Dave Schwartz
06-29-2001, 06:41 PM
Vinnie,

No offense taken whatsoever.

I completely accept your rational and would love to accomodate, although it is a potential no-win situation for me. If I have a good day then it "proves" nothing. If I have a bad day then the common thread would be "Gee, if he can't make it work then how could I?"

Frankly, with all the development we are making in the software (i.e. switch to HDW, query capability, AI, pace line selection systems, etc.) I have not been able to handicap a single card live since Derby week.

So, my answer is, "Sure. I will be happy to do this. But it could be August before I have the time." Please be patient.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Vinnie
06-29-2001, 07:45 PM
Dave, I am thrilled that you didn't take my post in any way that it was not intended. I understand perfectly where you are coming from with regard to posting selections. You are absolutely correct. As absurd as it may sound you could be blazing on fire on one day (En Fuego) (and it is expected by a lot of folks) and on the next you could possibly have a day that is somewhat off, and be "scrutinized until the cows come home"! It is a no win situation in that way, you hit it right on the head. Dave, with all of the constant changes and work that you are doing with your product I almost feel badly about my post because I can't even begin to fathom what type of time and effort you must continually put forth in the continued development and evolution of your software.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post Dave.

"You are one Class Guy"!!

All the BEST!

tanda
06-29-2001, 08:00 PM
Dave,

Your program interests me, as do others. But I personally will not purchase any product without a 100% money-back guarantee or a demo available. I understand in the software business, return policies are tough (even with copy protection). Hence, a demo.

My general belief is that any retailer who will not do one or the other must have a lousy product. I DO NOT believe that about your product because I have read numerous positive reviews.

However, I demo a lot of software (even very good software) that I do not like. Your policy is costing you sales and a demo would make it much more likely that you would get one from me.

All the best,

tanda

Dave Schwartz
06-29-2001, 10:18 PM
Tanda,

I see your point of view.

But I write industrial strength software; programs that are very flexible. Flexibility comes at a price and that price is the learning curve.

I believe that given an opportunity to return it on day 3 many people would. By day 5 or 7 they are happy clients but without that commitment many would never get to day 5.

For better or worse, this is the policy we have had for 11 years. I don't see it changing in spite of the fact that we could certainly make more money if we shipped 100 products per month (with 40 or 50 coming back).

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

GR1@HTR
06-30-2001, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Vinnie,

I completely accept your rational and would love to accomodate, although it is a potential no-win situation for me. If I have a good day then it "proves" nothing. If I have a bad day then the common thread would be "Gee, if he can't make it work then how could I?"

True, I was somewhat surpised that you offered to host a day at the races yourself. Best of luck.

Lefty
06-30-2001, 12:27 PM
I bght HSH. If I had had the opportunity to return it I would have done so in a heartbeat. Dave and I exchanged some fiery e-mails with most of the heat coming froming me. I even posted some critcisms on bbs
and the prob.. I had was cured. I would've sent this
sucker back in a heartbeat. What a frustrating prgm.
Bottom line: Glad I didn't have that opportunity. It is the
most flexible sw I have ever used.
So Dave's right, there is a learning curve. I'm still learning but i'm getting there.
Take the tour. Read ALL the bbs new and old.
Glad I couldn't send it back.