PDA

View Full Version : Another stinker!

cj
11-11-2002, 06:58 PM
From DRF:

NYRA completes exacta investigation

The New York Racing Association has completed an investigation into an exacta that came back woefully short in last Thursday's seventh race, and concluded that there was no evidence of impropriety.

"The 6-8 exacta of Leave It to Betsy, a 40-1 shot, and Gallant Angel, 26-1, returned $509, less than half of what it could have been expected to return. According to Bill Nader, a senior vice president for the NYRA, bettors at a hub in Lewiston, Maine, wagered $19,000 and collected approximately $64,000. Nader said all wagers were made well in advance of post time, noting that at one minute to post the 6-8 probable payoff was $522."

Call me jaded, but I doubt this was on the up and up. Placed before post time sure, but is that the end of this investigation?

CJ

justin
11-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Maybe my memory is faulty, but I seem to recall some suspicious wagers coming from that location in the past?

Justin

delayjf
11-11-2002, 07:46 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how the 19,000 was bet or spread out. To win 64,000, they'd have to have bet @ 250.00 on that combination alone. Perhaps the bet was legit, but the race??

cj
11-11-2002, 08:05 PM
delayjf,

That is what I meant...the race probably stinks to high heaven. I don't doubt the bet was legit. Just seems like some inside info was available to a few "in" Maine!

CJ

GR1@HTR
11-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I've heard of a small whale up there as well...But that he is also legit.

rrbauer
11-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Lewiston, Maine, is a "hub". So the bets coming thru there are more geographically dispersed than is intuitively obvious.

The big bet on the Maiden at HOL last spring, on opening day, that drove the price from 9/2 down to 2/5 after the race was off came through that hub!

Figman
11-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Those "big wagers" in Maine at the United Tote's Lewiston hub usually come from an outfit called "RGS" which I believ is short for "Racing and Gaming Services." This outfit used to hub in Birmingham, Alabama until about a year and a half ago. RGS has at least one individual bettor who is said to wager tens of thousands of dollars on a signle race on occasion. This outfit is also somehow connected to the "National Raceline", a telephone service.