PDA

View Full Version : Chantal Sutherland

billrock
03-13-2007, 07:02 AM
According to Woodbine Racetrack, Chantal Sutherland is going to ride the entire 2007 season at Woodbine, starting with opening day on Saturday, March 31st.

misscashalot
03-13-2007, 07:30 AM
According to Woodbine Racetrack, Chantal Sutherland is going to ride the entire 2007 season at Woodbine, starting with opening day on Saturday, March 31st.

Chantel has been riding in the NYRA circuit. She hasn't gotten too many live ones, but, she knows how to ride up front, and when she gets one thats ready, she brings them in, usually at a good price.

here are her winners, trainers and odds from Apr 2005 thru current:

Sutherland Biancone 54.00
Sutherland Disanto 15.50
Sutherland Duggan 1.05
Sutherland Duggan 1.60
Sutherland Gyarmati 18.00
Sutherland Gyarmati 8.80
Sutherland Hertler 25.25
Sutherland Jablow 4.40
Sutherland JerkensA 1.50
Sutherland JerkensA 1.55
Sutherland JerkensA 6.50
Sutherland JerkensA 5.00
Sutherland JerkensJ 6.40
Sutherland Kimmel 0.55
Sutherland Kimmel 12.60
Sutherland Kimmel 12.30
Sutherland Lerman 2.30
Sutherland Lostritto 3.05
Sutherland Lostritto 4.80
Sutherland Lostritto 5.50
Sutherland Lostritto 11.10
Sutherland Lostritto 21.90
Sutherland MartinC 6.30
Sutherland MartinC 17.70
Sutherland MartinF 2.40
Sutherland McGaughey 12.70
Sutherland McLaughlin 4.10
Sutherland Reiff 3.40
Sutherland Reiff 38.00
Sutherland Schettino 4.10
Sutherland Schettino 7.30
Sutherland Schettino 11.80
Sutherland Ubillo 2.05
Sutherland Ubillo 3.60
Sutherland Ubillo 15.90

Good luck to her.

JustRalph
03-13-2007, 08:08 AM
she has only had 36 winners in two years?

misscashalot
03-13-2007, 08:15 AM

On the NYRA circuit. I don't know if she had any on any other venue.

JimG
03-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Ralph,

Maybe so, but she sure looks good on a horse. ;)

boomman
03-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Ralph,

Maybe so, but she sure looks good on a horse. ;)

Ralph: I agree. I think with a solid agent and large fields at Woodbine she could make an impact. Certainly the purses are large, so this move makes sense!

Boomer

Greyfox
03-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Ralph: I agree. I think with a solid agent and large fields at Woodbine she could make an impact. Certainly the purses are large, so this move makes sense!

Boomer

Does anyone know why she left Woodbine in the first instance? After she "lost the bug" was she getting her fair share of live horses there?

Faster
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM

Boomer

Same agent (Don Parente) as before. Not so large fields at Wox, about 8 per race.
Not sure that this "return" is not more or less a failure to make go of it in NY and if she will be made to feel at home since she may have made quite a few enemies with her aggressive, almost reckless riding style before.
Would like to think that the NY experience helped her become wiser and better jock.
(She could also be a good bet early on in the meet .)

Faster
03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know why she left Woodbine in the first instance? After she "lost the bug" was she getting her fair share of live horses there?

She was getting a ton of mounts and she did so so with them.
Cannot be sure why she left, but for sure was hoping to do better than what we saw.

BIG49010
03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
She had a few winners at GP last winter I believe, she should do much better at WO then NYRA, but will have competion from E.J. I think she was doing some modeling in NYC, similar to Diane Nelson.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I thought she rode at Woodbine originally before coming to NY.

Greyfox
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I thought she rode at Woodbine originally before coming to NY.

She did. Here's what I posted 2 back.
"Does anyone know why she left Woodbine in the first instance? "

Lefty
03-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Seems like I saw her at Tampa Bay before the NY move. She also did some commercials while there.

Zaf
03-13-2007, 12:04 PM
In 2003 she had 124 wins and $5.7 million in total purses at Woodbine.

Z

Milleruszk
03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Is Mike Smith going to Woodbine too?

facorsig
03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Sutherland Kimmel 0.55
I was a partner in this one that Chantal rode to victory at Saratoga; her lowest price ride. She won by 14 lengths breaking a maiden in front running style. Unfortunate for us, our filly was claimed, but did little afterwards, so I will always remember Chantal.

Fred

jma
03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.yorku.ca/ylife/2006/04-April/04-24/images/Chantal_Sutherland3.jpgChantal modeling and post-race...best of luck to her at Woodbine.

point given
03-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Is Mike Smith going to Woodbine too?

Yeah, she needs an equisizor in case she doesn't get enuf mounts.

Greyfox
03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Humor unappreciated. By me at least.

DanG
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
She wanted to make connections off the racetrack (modeling etc…) that NY provides in spades. Smart girl who knows the female jockeys life is rarely long term.

philsfan07
03-14-2007, 11:47 AM
All things considered, isn't she the hottest female jockey ever??

46zilzal
03-14-2007, 11:56 AM
I seem to recall Fred Astaire marrying a "looker" Robin Smith, an ex jockey

the little guy
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
She wanted to make connections off the racetrack (modeling etc…) that NY provides in spades. Smart girl who knows the female jockeys life is rarely long term.

You're right, however if these connections had panned out I hardly believe she would be returning to Woodbine to ride.

The truth is that she is not nearly good enough to compete in NY and as someone who bets those races I am extremely glad she's gone.

ponyplayerdotca
03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Rumor at the time (2005) was....she started dating a trainer or assistant trainer (or some kind of horseman) who was based out of NY or moved to NY. Word is she followed him to NY so they could be together as they both continued their careers. (I have no idea if these rumors are true, partially true, or false...just passing it along.)

If true, it explains why she went to a tougher circuit and got significantly fewer mounts than she could have probably secured at Woodbine. You go where the love is someone once told me...LOL

Once she got to NY, and many took notice of her, it seemed they immediately started covering her as the next "hot" female athlete (Danica Patrick syndrome), hence the delving into the modelling world...where else but NYC, right?.

Anyway, perhaps her personal life affected her original decision to leave for NY, as well as return to Woodbine? Also, perhaps several jockeys aren't coming back to Woodbine because they don't want to ride (or can't adjust to riding) on the Polytrack, thereby opening up new opportunities?

Her career certainly needs a kick start again, as her stats show that the last two years haven't been that successful (riding that is).

Also, maybe she got blackballed in NY for her aggressive rides or attitude (like Migliore? - previous thread on this board talked about his decision to leave for California because he came back from his ordeal "tentative").

Who knows for sure, but seemingly some or all of these factors in bits and pieces could have ultimately led to her decision I guess.

point given
03-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Humor unappreciated. By me at least.

How can you not appreciate humor. Its harmless banter. Lighten up greyfox :kiss:

Greyfox
03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
She's a daughter.

point given
03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
She's a daughter.

of whom ? You ?

maxwell
03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
She married a trainer based at Woodbine - mistake #1
She lost her bug - mistake #2
She loves cameras ... but not the ones at the finish line - mistake #3

She's actually a decent rider but I question her motivation and desire. There's where E.J. ( Wilson ) leaves her in the dust.

Woodbine is not overly kind to female riders; most wind up at Fort Erie. Wilson hung in there this year after she lost her bug. The trainers had to admit that she really can boot'em home. :)

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
of whom ? You ?

Certainly not out of the realm.....That's why it's best to think before you post at times....

rrpic6
03-14-2007, 07:55 PM
http://www.equicizer.com/images/equicizer.com/default1.aspx?contentName=News&news=1&newsId=1027

Maybe this was the point of your post Point?

JustRalph
03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Certainly not out of the realm.....That's why it's best to think before you post at times....

reminds me of the time somebody in here went after Barbra Boxer........

the thread went on for a while that's when I told him (via PM) her Father was a member here...............it was pretty funny..........

I would have thought he would have milked it more......her dad never posted a note...even though I saw he was logged in a few times......he obviously had more class than the guy who started the thread............... :lol: I wish I could remember who it was......

samyn on the green
03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
She's a daughter.Thank you for standing up for what is right, women should be treated with respect.

point given
03-14-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.equicizer.com/images/equicizer.com/default1.aspx?contentName=News&news=1&newsId=1027

Maybe this was the point of your post Point?

My point exactly, there are so many uptight people in this world and g-d I wish it would be possible for each and every one of them to have their own equicizer.:lol: . Even Andry Beyer had his picture taken at Gulfstream on one a few weeks ago. Equicizers are gender neutral as your link clearly shows. Look at Mike and Chantel enjoying their rides on their very own units. They look like they are each having equal fun. After all Mike is also someones son, for heavens sake. For sham all you negative thinkers, get your minds out of the gutter. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
03-15-2007, 12:33 AM
For sham all you negative thinkers, get your minds out of the gutter. :rolleyes:

Yeah right! :lol:

I've seen 5-year-old kids squirm less when their grandma is trying to give them a kiss! :lol:

Nice try though....:D

point given
03-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah right! :lol:

I've seen 5-year-old kids squirm less when their grandma is trying to give them a kiss! :lol:

Nice try though....:D

Uh-oh, the dreaded granny kiss. Run for the hills ! :kiss:

Ron
03-15-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm sure her ride on Bishop Court Hill a year a half ago didn't help her get any mounts....

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22823&highlight=sutherland

CryingForTheHorses
03-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Chantal is first and formost a Lady!..She has class and she has fire,treat her with respect and you will get it back. I had the pleasure of her riding a couple of horses for me at GP last winter.Best wishes for her at Woodbine

NY BRED
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Several months ago,among various owners and trainers standing in the clockers office
I literally bumped into Chantal and Diane Nelson who certainly
lit up that room...

interestingly enough Chantal has recently become a far better gate
rider though not as strong as Diane was in the stretch when she had mounts
from live trainers..