PDA

View Full Version : Magnificience

bigmack
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I believe there was talk of this race in some other thread but I'm too lazy to find it. What a run by this filly @ 6.5 @ SA.

Find the replay here: http://www.calracing.com/replays.php
User name: pacemember
Password: pace
Sunday 3/11 1st race

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/Magnificience.jpg

bigmack
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Various quotes of "The Freak"

Magnificience had turned in five bullets in her last eight works. She could prove to be something special.

"I've been saying all along that this is a history-making filly," trainer Bruce Headley said afterward. "You don't see a horse work as fast as she did."

Magnificience had a series of bullet works and repeatedly outworked Santa Anita Oaks runner-up Silver Swallow.

Headley purchased Magnificience for $120,000 at the Keeneland yearling sale. Headley has no doubt that Magnificience will run long. "She's built like a cheetah," he said. "She's long and graceful."

betovernetcapper
03-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Amazing

Racer98
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
That's blistering.

Not to mention if you read the top fast it sounds funny.

Hosshead
03-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the link and the login Mack, I didn't realize that she broke so poorly (dead last).
Makes you wonder what would happen if she breaks with the field? Or did she need to slowly gain momentum?
However I think the half was run in something like 44 2/5, which isn't so slow.

JustRalph
03-16-2007, 07:51 AM
great race. she spotted them ten easy..............

rrpic6
03-16-2007, 05:59 PM
That looked like Ghostzapper's debut. Watching a horse pass ALL the competition, especially a maiden/1st timer, creates great excitement.

Premier Turf Club
03-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Saw the video this morning. Last horse I saw unleash a run like that was Easy Goer in winning his NW1.

But...Before we get too excited, let's see how fast the race came back.(CJ?) Clearly, though she's got a ton of ability.

bigmack
03-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Beyer was a 96. I'd add an even dozen or a mere Bakers dozen. In any event, it was all of 100+

Premier Turf Club
03-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Beyer was a 96. I'd add an even dozen or a mere Bakers dozen. In any event, it was all of 100+

OK, Mack. I'm satisfied. She's a very, very nice filly. Just have to wonder how much that race took out of her, and how aggressively Headley spots her next.

If she were mine, I'd avoid the temptation to take on Rags To Riches right now.

rrpic6
03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Saw the video this morning. Last horse I saw unleash a run like that was Easy Goer in winning his NW1.

But...Before we get too excited, let's see how fast the race came back.(CJ?) Clearly, though she's got a ton of ability.

I saw Easy Goer run in the Swale. He went from last to first in the blink of an eye.

BlueShoe
03-16-2007, 08:44 PM
This poster made a very silly error in this race that could have been expensive.Because of very heavy early betting action on this filly right in the face of the eventual odds on favorite(she was 1-2 early) I bet a small tri from Magnificence to the chalk to two other runners.After she was absolutely left at the the start and many lengths back,yours truly let go a swear word or two and wadded up my ticket,tossed it on the table,and marked my loss on the program.Watched in total disbelief as she won easily.Had a bit of trouble feeding my wrinkled ticket into the sam to cash it,but did make it.Learned decades ago to always save your tickets until the official sign goes up,but who would have thought it?As an afterthought,could this filly be a prime "bounce" candidate next out?Even more so if she goes long in her second start.Will be 1-5 or 2-5 and perhaps a contrarian go against play.

bigmack
03-16-2007, 09:02 PM
As an afterthought,could this filly be a prime "bounce" candidate next out?Even more so if she goes long in her second start.Will be 1-5 or 2-5 and perhaps a contrarian go against play.
The game isn't always about how to make money off a horse. It's like hack golfers that come out and expect to play a decent round. Sometimes one is better off simply enjoying the flight of the ball.

Speculation of a "bounce" is about as rivoting as an hour long special on Anna Nicole Smith.

NY BRED
03-16-2007, 09:28 PM
incredible run based on the fact this is a md sp wt and the jock rode her
as though she couldn't lose..

didn't see the chart yet, I'm curious if she ran on bute,which is generally
the case at cal tracks

betovernetcapper
03-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I wonder if she's nominated for the Oaks

the_fat_man
03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Couldn't resist doing the FAT chart for this.

(I'd have added the break and the point where they 'settle' but I'm tf lazy).

This is impressive enough.

Racer98
03-17-2007, 09:28 AM
She should be, but it will be a tough field, if everyone avoids the Derby.

Robert Fischer
03-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Magnificience has more than her fair share of raw ability.

bigmack
03-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Hubba hubba, she's back:

Santa Anita 3rd Santa Paula S. (G3)
4/1

6 1/2 Furlongs
3 Year Olds Stakes
Purse: $100,000

betovernetcapper
03-31-2007, 12:38 AM
She's making her next start this Sunday in the $100,000 added Santa Paulia Steak at SA.

JustRalph
03-31-2007, 03:08 AM
Santa Paulia Steak at SA.

:lol: That's a good one.............

betovernetcapper
03-31-2007, 10:13 AM
No, that's a meaty one. :)

BIG RED
03-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Looks like a good placing on the connections part. Just easing her up. Hope she annihilates them.

Robert Fischer
03-31-2007, 11:41 AM
She looked great. She works in race times:jump: this could be a special horse.

Out of a small sample of 16 SA 6.5 dirt races, here are the top 3 rated by tQ (total quality). Magnificience's msw race is highlighted.

note that the other 2 races are colts, Her race decelerated the least of these, although much of that is to her credit, also the pQ (Pace Quality) in her race was the most distant from the raw Pace fraction at 4f.

betovernetcapper
04-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm really looking forward to watching this race. I wanted to key her in the super but I don't think that's going to happen. :)
Past Performances

bigmack
04-01-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.drf.com/images/magnificienc_250x200_040107.jpg

(From the DRF article below)
A spectacular debut by the 3-year-old filly Magnificience generated a feel-good buzz March 11 at Santa Anita. Magnificience broke slowly, raced greenly, and trailed by 10 lengths after the first quarter-mile of the sprint. No problem. The blaze-faced chestnut leveled off into the turn, sizzled through the turn with a 22-second middle quarter, ran past the rest of the field at the head of the lane, and won by 6 1/2 lengths while under a hold from Alex Solis. Wow.

Asked if he ever had a maiden win like that, owner-trainer Bruce Headley shook his head.

"Nobody has, not even me," he said. "Everyone from fans to old-time horsemen said they have never seen anything like that. It really started an adrenaline rush for horse lovers."

http://www.drf.com/news/article/83652.html

bigmack
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Man, a bunch o' fun to watch her run. Those long front legs make mincemeat of the comp

betovernetcapper
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
WOW

ImCashinIn
04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
And she just keeps on going....and going... Like that bunny. Beat her 1st race times by lenghts. 1:08.08 1:14.61 SIZZLING. Didn't even see Solis use the whip coming for home.:eek:

ROCK

Premier Turf Club
04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
She's obviously got a ton of ability. The only negative I could find was the QPU. You certainly wouldn't think she had just raced to see her in the winner's circle afterwards.

JMHO, but something about her action tells me

1) she might not be as effective going 2 turns
2) she might not stay sound long.

Again, just my opinion. Hard to find fault with the race she just ran.

betovernetcapper
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Just compared the race times with the first race which was for older male 10,000 claimers. The 3Y fillies ran faster, in hundredths, at the
1/4 .49

1/2 .52

6F 2.51

Finish 2.46

WOW

Robert Fischer
04-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Top class again today. So much longer and more athletic than these other fillies. I don't see a problem with stretching out if she is willing to stay in that cruising speed mode and let the race set up.
Could be one of the best fillies on the planet right now.

Out of a small sample of 17 SA 6.5 dirt races, here are the top 3 rated by tQ (total quality). Magnificience's Santa Paulia Stakes is highlighted yellow, msw race is highlighted pink.

note that the Santa Paula's pQ was closest to the pace fraction at 4furlongs and came home fastest in the last 2.5furlongs.
The second rated race is an older male horse allowance race.

jfb
04-01-2007, 11:04 PM
T I don't see a problem with stretching out if she is willing to stay in that cruising speed mode and let the race set up.
Could be one of the best fillies on the planet right now.

Headley does not see her as a sprinter:

“I didn’t expect her to be that close up, but she’s so talented, she put herself right there,” Headley said. “It was just a hand ride. Her forte is a distance. She’s sprinting because she’s just a runner. When she starts going around two turns, you’ll really see something. I would have to say because of her workouts, none of my champion fillies ever worked like she did. …not even [Grade 1-winning sprinter] Kalookan Queen worked that fast.”

betovernetcapper
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Just checked the leaderboard at DRF and her Beyer Sunday was 109 :eek:
That is the top Beyer of any 3Y this year

RobinFromIreland
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Uber impressive.

Pet peeve though: I hate when a horse's name is registered with a spelling mistake...

Ron
04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Uber impressive.

Pet peeve though: I hate when a horse's name is registered with a spelling mistake...

My father-in-law's horse's name is spelled wrong. I forgot the name now but its missing an i. There's no process to change this?

That's strange about the name Magnificience, because Magnificence is available and sounds like a name that should have been take a long time ago. How does the race caller pronounce the name?

bigmack
04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
How does the race caller pronounce the name?
Proceed to post 1 without collecting $200 and find out

RobinFromIreland
04-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Names are changable (depending on racing jurisdiction). Even Premium Tap raced recently under the name Allam or something in Saudi Arabia.

In Hong Kong, names change all the time (Silent Witness was called Elvira or something in Australia).

In Europe, 2000 Guineas winner King's Best briefly became Kings' Best but then changed back again.

Shouldn't be a problem changing it.

betovernetcapper
04-03-2007, 08:48 AM
The Jockey Club does not allow two horses to have the same name at the same time. If I want to name my horse Club Soda and there already is a Club Soda, I might do a variation on the name like Klub Soda. There is already a mare with the name Magnificence, so my guess is that they changed the spelling to get the name.

Ron
04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
The Jockey Club does not allow two horses to have the same name at the same time. If I want to name my horse Club Soda and there already is a Club Soda, I might do a variation on the name like Klub Soda. There is already a mare with the name Magnificence, so my guess is that they changed the spelling to get the name.

There isn't a name registered with the Jockey Club with that name.

betovernetcapper
04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Went to the DRF watch list and punched in the name Magnificence and a 2001 Timber County mare showed up, so my guess is the spelling has something to do with her.

Robert Fischer
04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
wild goose chase theory- could be shouting attention to Miss Grillo and the Argentinian/French influence in the pedigree:

Personally when I look at a new pedigree, I acknowledge the sire and then take a critical eye to the dam side...
"hey storm bird on the top lets look at the dam..."
"ok fashion delight was a useful horse, bred a decent japanese filly w/ danzig" "what about this Charleston Rag??" ..."well i know Fapiano let me see this Music Ville horse" "irish bred with a french name..."
When u look at Music Ville there is the french influence on top (Prince Chevalier). Tom Fool is a top class broodmare sire. On the bottom you have Miss Grillo. Interesting horse, champion in Argentina and then came to the states to place and win in major races against both sexes on both coasts and had a useful career. Going deeper Miss Grillo also has french influence and a lot of Eclipse blood.

bigmack
04-03-2007, 11:36 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/4_3_07_08_34_46.jpg

Ron
04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Link to jockey club names database.

https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/registry.cfm?page=namesrch&rand=813&init=&CFID=7457375&CFTOKEN=25647209

The name is available.

betovernetcapper
04-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe that didn't want to risk confusion with all of the other fillies and mares named Magnificence.

bigmack
04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Won't be long now

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44216

joanied
04-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Won't be long now

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44216

HOLYCOWS....I just picked up on this thread and watched her maiden race...manohman, I cannot wait :jump: to see Magnificience race again...thank you bigmack for the link to the story.
I recall seeing her name someplace...probably the BloodHorse magazine...

If any one here has a link to any other race she's in...please, please post it.

bigmack
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
If any one here has a link to any other race she's in...please, please post it.
Use this info and search by horse. Spelling is Magnificience

Four horse field, but you'll get the idea.

joanied
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Use this info and search by horse. Spelling is Magnificience

Four horse field, but you'll get the idea.

:( It buffered and said it was ready...but damned if it would play :(

garyscpa
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I really thought she was a better 3 yo filly than Rags, but she got hurt. She looks like Curlin, big and strong.

garyscpa
05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
She's been working out great. If she can stay healthy, this horse could be Breeder's Cup material this year.

bigmack
05-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Another W today in the 3rd @ HOL. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed seeing long legs like that. No wait, I remember now. It was '04 at an out of the way club in Vancouver.....

rrbauer
05-19-2008, 07:51 AM
She was all out to beat her stable mate in the last jump. Either she regressed in this effort or Headley now has two monsters in his barn.

ryesteve
05-19-2008, 09:36 AM
She was all out to beat her stable mate in the last jump. Either she regressed in this effort or Headley now has two monsters in his barn.Based on the fractions and final time, I'm going to go with choice A, I'm afraid...

garyscpa
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Based on the fractions and final time, I'm going to go with choice A, I'm afraid...

Me, too. The good news is she might have more playable odds next out.:jump:

bigmack
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
She was all out to beat her stable mate in the last jump.
Indeed. It's probably me but she appears to run with a look of assurance that says "I'll get this done"

http://www.hollywoodpark.com/racinginfo/photofinishes/pics/race3.051808.jpg

DeanT
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I watched the race purely as a fan of the sport, nothing more. I was hoping to see the push-button at the top of the lane, and I expected it. Twas disappointing not to see that.

bigmack
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Twas disappointing not to see that.
Let's not forget, out with a bone chip lollygaggin' around these parts for many moon at the Jenny Craig estate.

While no shortage of works coming in, give her a few races to regain her form.

how cliche
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I think there are some things being overlooked here.

Her trainer's worst statistical category is wih long layoff returnees(4%)

She likely needed the race having been off for so long.

Flores rode her with too much confidence as if she was 5 lengths the best.

I almost had a heart attack since the only play of the weekend was an aggressive cold double from the 2 in the 2nd to her in the 3rd. Too close for comfort!

DeanT
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Let's not forget, out with a bone chip lollygaggin' around these parts for many moon at the Jenny Craig estate.

While no shortage of works coming in, give her a few races to regain her form.

Yep, that I will do BigM.

I just wanted to see the flash, it gives me goosebumps and I love watching horses do that, as she did in her first couple.

bigmack
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Horse nameMagnificience
EntryActivity date06-28-2008
TrackHollywood Park
SurfaceAll Weather Track
Distance7 Furlongs
Race number9
Purse$150,000
Race typeStakes
Post position10

OTM Al
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Not a bad card for Gold Cup day. The race she is in could be interesting. Daytona is running that day too. Just too bad Lava Man couldn't give it one more go for the big one.

46zilzal
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I recall seeing the magnificent beats Ack Ack win this one for fun under an impost of 130 as I recall.

jognlope
06-26-2008, 05:48 PM
can you paste the replay here?

cj's dad
06-26-2008, 07:14 PM
reminds me of Arazi in the BC juvenile, and I remember him being a bust in the Derby. Lost I think to Lil E Tee

bigmack
06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
IyfhfFmhidg

jognlope
06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Wow thanks for that, she got mad as a hatter didn't she, she's something.

joanied
06-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Horse nameMagnificience
EntryActivity date06-28-2008
TrackHollywood Park
SurfaceAll Weather Track
Distance7 Furlongs
Race number9
Purse$150,000
Race typeStakes
Post position10

bigmack,
Thanks for posting the video...she's incredible and I can't :jump: wait to see her race on Saturday...when I have time, think I'll look up her pedigree...I no nothing of her except what's been posted here. This is one hell of a filly.