PDA

View Full Version : The Father of our Country…

DanG
03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
First thread in “off-topic” and I make it 8/5 it’s may be my last. ;):)

I probably avoid talking politics, current events and certainly religion because of my family’s restaurant training. When we acquired one of our restaurants a very wise elderly chef told me…”Why would you want to alienate half your customers?”

I admit I don’t often read the off-topic threads, but like everyone I’ve heard so much partisan posturing my last 46 years it will last me a lifetime.

I write this because I recently read a fascinating account of George Washington. If you have yet to study our General / 1st President I strongly urge you to do so.

IMO: There is very likely no America as we know it without Washington. He was a brilliant general and leader in every sense of the word. I’m not going to bore you with an account of his life or that period in American history, but one thing about him struck me considering the way American government functions and ultimately public discourse has evolved.

Washington served two terms. There was no “term limit” obviously at the time and he refused a third term on largely two grounds.

1) He desperately wanted to go back to his farm and family.
2) He vehemently opposed the two party system.

This country was not born of the two party system. Washington (IMO: in his wisdom) said…”If you develop a two party system, self interest will rule over the best interest of our country. I believe there should be one party, the American party.”

Regardless of your current party affiliation…stop for a second and think about that statement. I submit to you…Has that not come to realization?

I love our country and enjoy reading history. However; I admit I rarely watch debate among party leaders and certainly never among pundits or advocates. If I can predict your response regardless of the issue before you respond…solely based on your “party’s” affiliation, I stop listening.

This is a long way of saying…When an American puts party before country, our nation suffers. Our current system has become incredibly complex and often counter-productive to the majority.

Disagree 110% with what I said…or agree. Please read what this great man laid out for our nation. He had incredible vision and courage. George Washington…IMO: Our finest President and should be studied by all Americans.

PS: Another thing really struck me reading about this period in history.

In our forefathers time you often had to often beg good people to run for elected office. The work was hard, involved long hours and the pay was poor.

Today, it’s difficult to get them out of office with a bazooka. The electoral process involves a massive budget excluding the majority from every dreaming of representing the people.

For all our strengths and quality of life (which are incredible :) )there is something inherently missing with the vision our founding fathers.

Shacopate
03-12-2007, 07:55 AM
I cannot tell a lie...at least not at the moment.

Dan,

Like I said before...I think you are one of the premier posters on this board with a unique style and substance. Wouldn't blame you if you avoided off topic after this because it's very likely that you are sailing over-the-heads of most. Sorry guys, but like the Metallica song...Sad But True.

I don't start the new job until April. I'm on vacation right now...Daytona Beach...Bike Week. I've got some good video and if you're interested I can send the highlights to your E-mail address. Need to get back and edit of course.

Take care and may all your horses have good trips.

DJofSD
03-12-2007, 10:16 AM
There was a clue on Jeopardy recently about George Washington (the story about throwing a silver dollar across a river) that no one got. I think my 7 year old has learned about this after listening to his father rant (mildly).

JustRalph
03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
There was a clue on Jeopardy recently about George Washington (the story about throwing a silver dollar across a river) that no one got. I think my 7 year old has learned about this after listening to his father rant (mildly).

I couldn't believe those idiots on Jeopardy didn't get that one........ it was an easy question.............

Tom
03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
ZaZa Gabor's husband claims he might be the Father of our country - and is is asking for DNA tests.

JustRalph
03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
ZaZa Gabor's husband claims he might be the Father of our country - and is is asking for DNA tests.
:lol:

ranchwest
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I think parties were inevitable. If we can accept that premise, the problem is that there are only two parties and they seek to remain an exclusive club. This provides no accountability. Of the politicians, many (most? nearly all?) are in Washington out of greed and they're perfectly content to allow everyone else to be just as greedy. I wish we had at least five or six parties, enough so that they'd keep an eye on one another, at least to some degree.

bigmack
03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't categorically fall into party line all that often though I do agree that a dual party system was inevitable.

Jefferson & Madison founded the Democratic-Republican Party to oppose the economic & foreign policies of the Federalists created by Al Hamilton

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/3_12_07_15_17_13.jpg

DanG
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Point taken…

While the two party system proved to be inevitable, it’s open for debate whether it was the correct choice.

The three branches of government were designed to provide separation and distribute public opinion as equally as possible. The overwhelming fear at the time was in protecting states rights. This has proven to be a valid concern over time.

When one party can / and has controlled all three branches it distorts the original design and accountability. Also, I’m sure they never imagined the incredible edge the incumbent has in reelection and the 40+ year hold they could enjoy.