PDA

View Full Version : TVG

Tom
03-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Is it me or are the talkingheads particularly dull and boring today?
Must be they read the handwritting on the wall.

One of them made the comment about a three year old preparing for the BELMONT. Are they going to ignore the Derby and Preakness now? :D

fouroneone
03-10-2007, 04:20 PM
lately in the AM nycotb (ch71 in nyc) has been showing the "road to louisville" show every weekend......and while no cable operator in NYC offers HRTV or TVG, I must admit that i dont find Laffit Pincay nearly as bad as most posters are making him out to be.

Indulto
03-10-2007, 04:25 PM

One of them made the comment about a three year old preparing for the BELMONT. Are they going to ignore the Derby and Preakness now? :DI suspect some heads will roll. If TVG doesn't start providing something people want to watch, they're history along with their exclusivity.

I wonder if the TVG GM has any more comments on the subject of exclusivity:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=37557
Exclusivity is Right By David Nathanson

Tom
03-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Maybe they could fill the void of tracks that is coming with their own version of theMatch Game.

"Todd Schrupp is a BLANK."

JustRalph
03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
they could always rerun Todd Schrupp wrestling Jerry Lawler

Tom
03-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I missed that - heard about it today on Roger Stein.
Wish I'd seen that one.

Mt personal nightmare on the show is Matt C - he has a voice made for newspapers. I turn on and he is on the air, I go to HRTV and play whatever thye are covering. I just cannot listen to that guy. I've heard more interesting lawn mowers at 6am Sunday.
Frankly YouBet would be perfect if they would improve thier video. It just plain sucs. No color/saturation adjsutments and they have it set on "midnight mode" most of the time.

I always though YB was the most ingenious idea ever conceived for racing, and the worst on implementation.

I might even have to go back to the track this year! :eek:

garyoz
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]Is it me or are the talkingheads particularly dull and boring today?

/QUOTE]

I agree, but to me they sound gloomy. The Steve Crist article in Friday's Form on TVG made the prognosis sound bad. Maybe Murdoch is getting tired of pouring cash via Gemstar. On the other hand, the HRTV folks seem very upbeat. So, it sounds like CDSN fled TVG no matter how TVG tries to spin the press release.

bigmack
03-10-2007, 05:57 PM
they could always rerun Todd Schrupp wrestling Jerry Lawler
Damn Lawler has the same cape & crown I've been wearing for years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsHSzMIcLU

OTM Al
03-11-2007, 12:15 AM
TVG does show in NYC. Cablevision channel 402 in Brooklyn for one. Don't know if the bloated pig known as Time-Warner caries it though.

Tote Master
03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Tom and company

One of them made the comment about a three year old preparing for the BELMONT. Are they going to ignore the Derby and Preakness now?Well there we go again! More sarcasm and productive B.S. about a group that I think offers a lot more then what I see hyped on this thread and others regarding these talking heads.

In fact, thanks to this group I’m 6K richer having listened to their in-depth analysis of today’s Magna Pick-5! My interest was peeked on a bet that I rarely make only because of Pincay’s information about how much the potential pool might be. Kind of ironic that none of these esteemed PA critics (or anyone else for that matter) even offered their selections for this bet. It’s too bad, because after examining their info, I did post them (not on this forum). I mean, would the handicapping elite even consider something coming from the mouths of these TV idiots?

So maybe, some should think twice, take the blinkers off and the ear-plugs out and listen to what these people have to say once and a while. You might even learn something!

I say, Congratulations to these guys for a job well done!

PaceAdvantage
03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Why would TVG run an analysis on the MAGNA Pick 5, given the fact that they can't carry any MAGNA races?

MAGNA is a dirty word on-air at TVG...

You must have your racing networks mixed up....

Tote Master
03-11-2007, 01:11 AM
PA
You must have your racing networks mixed up....I stand corrected!
I saw one of the posters mention Pincay. It certainly was HRTV, but I have a feeling the sentiment is the same for either network based on what I've read on other threads.

My expressed congratulations still stand!

bigmack
03-11-2007, 03:23 AM
My expressed congratulations still stand!
As well as your state of confusion & continued unwarranted turgid dictums. You appear to be from the Price & Probability school of thought. Aplomb with insights and abilities that remain known only to yourself.

JustRalph
03-11-2007, 04:07 AM
go ahead, bet with those guys on a regular basis (either network) and watch your ROI tumble.......... sure they are right every now and then.........but overall....... I would challenge you to bet with one of them for a year..........

no thanks

alysheba88
03-11-2007, 06:36 AM
TVG needs to show much more racing, pool info and much less talking.

I dont think I have ever heard the word exacta used. Its all pick 4,6 discussion with win betting thrown in sporadically. Trifecta is unheard of.

I watch it for the races only.

Tote Master
03-11-2007, 06:40 AM
JustRalph
go ahead, bet with those guys on a regular basis (either network) and watch your ROI tumble.......... sure they are right every now and then.........but overall....... I would challenge you to bet with one of them for a year..........
no thanksAs I mentioned (regarding this particular event):
My interest was peeked on a bet that I rarely make only because of Pincay’s information about how much the potential pool might be.
You could very well be right about the long-term effect.

I do not follow the traditional modes of handicapping at all, but in this case I was eager to learn of the potential for a nice score. Normally when using the tote analysis I’m always limited to playing on a race-by-race basis. I generally overcome that limitation by either playing the exotics offered or parlaying. As I mentioned: “because after examining their info,” I was able (due to some prior handicapping experience) to make what I believed to be a good bet, realizing that my return should be reasonably profitable based on the size of the pool. (Otherwise, I generally use the odds of my preferred selections as a barometer to determine not only value but playability as well.)
BigMac
As well as your state of confusion & continued unwarranted turgid dictums. You appear to be from the Price & Probability school of thought. Aplomb with insights and abilities that remain known only to yourself.Confused by the motivation your comments, maybe. "Turgid" by your interpretation perhaps but nevertheless TRUE. Actually, I’m from the old school of “common sense”. I don’t look to the past to project the future. I prefer to look at the present for a more accurate assessment. My self-confidence and abilities with regard to this game are perhaps unknown to those like yourself, but I have been known to share a few nice scores now and then. Just because I don’t post my selections on PA, doesn’t mean they don’t exist! Surprisingly enough, I’m able do this with some regularity without the use of any handicapping what so ever. However, I’m still a bit perplexed searching for where you and other’s (who preach the traditional handicapping approach) have provided their “sharing of the wealth”, so to speak. I could certainly be mistaken, but I’ll settle for the recognized approach used by those from Missouri: “Show me.”

The Magna Pick-5 analysis by the TV commentators might have been an abberation, but it certainly proved to be a worthwhile one for those who recognized the potential.

rrpic6
03-11-2007, 11:15 AM
In fact, thanks to this group I’m 6K richer having listened to their in-depth analysis of today’s Magna Pick-5! My interest was peeked on a bet that I rarely make only because of Pincay’s information about how much the potential pool might be. Kind of ironic that none of these esteemed PA critics (or anyone else for that matter) even offered their selections for this bet. It’s too bad, because after examining their info, I did post them (not on this forum). I mean, would the handicapping elite even consider something coming from the mouths of these TV idiots?

I say, Congratulations to these guys for a job well done!

A few years ago John White hit a Pick 6 at Hawthorne for about 45K. One of his viewers played the same ticket, blindly, and also hit.

I posted a Magna 5 ticket here a few weeks ago. It looked like a chalky ticket, so I posted it quite early. It hit paying less than $1000. Its probably human nature not to post a ticket here that might pay huge, then others just copycat it, and cut the prices down. My ticket yesterday was in that category. I only had 4 of 5, missing the easist pick, High Again at Gulfstream. I was greedy and did not want to share a possible big hit.

Congrats on doing just that by going with Pincay's picks. Those guys at HRTV are horseplayers thru and thru.

Tom
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Actually, I enjoy the HRTV people.
They appear to me as "horse people" as oppossed the TVG's " Horse's pituties."

And TM, come back with data and we will talk. Right, now, you have on hit one day. How much you giving back today?

Light
03-11-2007, 11:59 AM
The talking heads and crappy handicapping doesnt bother me. Its entertainment. What bothers me is that they only have 1 track,Aqueduct,that their betting viewers can count on seeing live. They'll tout all these other tracks,but will run a commercial or talk about something else over their live race calls,but never for Aqueduct. I dont watch them anymore when betting other tracks live that they cover,cause I cant wait for 10 or 15 minutes after the race to see a replay and know what my bankroll is which decides what kind of bet I'm going to do next and have a much shortened amount of time to consider odds,strategy and selection.Are they serious? Do they think live bettors can play like this? This is their biggest turnoff. I feel like I'm paying for a service that is not being delivered.

bigmack
03-11-2007, 01:57 PM
My self-confidence and abilities with regard to this game are perhaps unknown to those like yourself, but I have been known to share a few nice scores now and then. Just because I don’t post my selections on PA, doesn’t mean they don’t exist! Surprisingly enough, I’m able do this with some regularity without the use of any handicapping what so ever.
Yeah, I hear ya. I hit a grand slam playing ball a while back and I'm thinkin' about heading over to spring training for the Dodgers and giving them some batting pointers - Just to help em out a little bit.

They don't know who I am or what level of expertise I have but I can't let that get in the way of my throwing out advice. :rolleyes:

Hajck Hillstrom
03-11-2007, 07:23 PM
It sounds as if Roger Stein and Todd Schrupp have some sort of row going.

In a "Matt Carouther's like penchent for hyperbole" moment, Schrupp said on-air that his W2-G's exceeded the earnings of the entire Roger Stein barn last year.

I think Stein's earnings were around $600k in 2006, indicating that Schrupp "sends it in" on a level I didn't realize.

Hajck Hillstrom
03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
I didn't realize that Stein called Schrupp a "child molestor" on his radio show!

Storm Cadet
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
TVG looks like "Dead Men Walking"...very difficult to watch anymore.

garyoz
03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Have some of the on-air talent left TVG? I've been traveling a lot lately so haven't watched too much, but it seems like I haven't seen some of the old familiar faces when I have been watching (Mr. B comes to mind). Then again I could just be missing them--don't want to start any rumors or speculation.

BIG RED
03-11-2007, 10:24 PM
As some of you may remember, I got the TVG for my dad as a gift. He only complains about it now. Time to pull it, I guess. He still likes the 'spanish looking broad', whoever that is. :p

kingfin66
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Have some of the on-air talent left TVG? I've been traveling a lot lately so haven't watched too much, but it seems like I haven't seen some of the old familiar faces when I have been watching (Mr. B comes to mind). Then again I could just be missing them--don't want to start any rumors or speculation.

Mr. B slid on out to Los Al to work with Mike Joyce and Les Onaka. Dave Weaver is now doing a show called Drive Time, which is devoted to chariot races at Meadowlands. There really isn't that much for them to do without having one of their SoCal tracks running. I think this is when they take their vacations, etc.

I have usually been pretty quick to defend TVG, but losing the CDI tracks has me thinking about switching loyalties. I mean, they have absolutely zip coverage of the premier winter meets and won't have either Keeneland or CD in the spring? That sucks. Meanwhile, they patronize us with coverage of minor league tracks.

I think they could be in big trouble losing that big Kentucky handle.

blind squirrel
03-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Mr. B slid on out to Los Al to work with Mike Joyce and Les Onaka. Dave Weaver is now doing a show called Drive Time, which is devoted to chariot races at Meadowlands. There really isn't that much for them to do without having one of their SoCal tracks running. I think this is when they take their vacations, etc.

I have usually been pretty quick to defend TVG, but losing the CDI tracks has me thinking about switching loyalties. I mean, they have absolutely zip coverage of the premier winter meets and won't have either Keeneland or CD in the spring? That sucks. Meanwhile, they patronize us with coverage of minor league tracks.

I think they could be in big trouble losing that big Kentucky handle.

they still have KEENELAND....for now.