PDA

View Full Version : Trifecta strategy ?

douglasw32
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I am not sure what I am trying to ask-get at- with this one but here goes.

Does this make any sense, what are it's flaws, would it work in the long run or be a money burner etc.

Instead of doing the normal I like this horse, I'll single it and put everyone behind him in tri's...

How about every single horse running to WIN- followed by the fe contenders that I think will be 2nd and 3rd.

What would be the cost..would it catch enough long ones, being that many times the contenders I choose end up favorites or low priced...

Just asking...I never bet exotics

boomman
03-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I am not sure what I am trying to ask-get at- with this one but here goes.

Does this make any sense, what are it's flaws, would it work in the long run or be a money burner etc.

Instead of doing the normal I like this horse, I'll single it and put everyone behind him in tri's...

How about every single horse running to WIN- followed by the fe contenders that I think will be 2nd and 3rd.

What would be the cost..would it catch enough long ones, being that many times the contenders I choose end up favorites or low priced...

Douglas: Since wagering on trifectas is a HUGE part of my wagering menu, I think I can answer your question. First of all, if you're referring to putting everyone to win on the top line with a few horses 2nd and 3rd, here's how the ticket would look: (10 horse field example):

(all)/12/123 in this instance, you have 2 horses you like for 2nd and those same 2 horses with one other in 3rd position. In this part wheel ticket you are actually playing 2 separate tickets as the combinations that are being covered are (2-10)/1/23 ($18) and (1,3-10)/2/13 ($18) and each formula for figuring the cost would consist of 9x1x2 (eliminate the horse in first position that is duplicated in 2nd position and the horse in 3rd position that is duplicated in 2nd position) and so on, then multiply by 2 because you have 2 horses in the 2nd slot which basically makes the ticket become two separate plays in one as diagramed above. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, let me know.....And of course, if you catch your keys in the 2nd and 3rd position with a big price horse on top, AND your key horses aren't real short odds either, you can catch a nice price trifecta for a relatively small investment...

Boomer

douglasw32
03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
boomer thanks!
that is exactly what I was wondering.

Greyfox
03-10-2007, 11:33 PM

Huh.

kingfin66
03-10-2007, 11:53 PM
+1 on Boomer's post.

I would also add that you should usually be able to toss at least a couple of the win end in any race. That saves a few bucks per race which can help your long-term ROI.

boomman
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
+1 on Boomer's post.

I would also add that you should usually be able to toss at least a couple of the win end in any race. That saves a few bucks per race which can help your long-term ROI.

King: Agree 100%, in fact in my many years of playing, not sure I've ever wheeled the field on top. Was simply answering his question, and if you can't eliminate at least part of the field from the win position (even in a key 2nd and 3rd position play ticket) it should be a pass anyway.....

Boomer

misscashalot
03-11-2007, 11:03 AM
King: Agree 100%, in fact in my many years of playing, not sure I've ever wheeled the field on top. Was simply answering his question, and if you can't eliminate at least part of the field from the win position (even in a key 2nd and 3rd position play ticket) it should be a pass anyway.....

Boomer

Since 70% of the top 3 bet choices win, or, 80% of the top 4....that's the place to start. It seems to me that starting with the all button on top is a waste of dough in the long run. Also....you'd better have a deep pocket to start with the All