PDA

View Full Version : Big John Henry

46zilzal
03-09-2007, 12:40 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

- 32 years young today

Perlnalysis
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I saw him last year at Kentucky Horse Park. He wasn't very friendly, not that I blame him. The cool thing is that he took a major whiz while I was checking him out. It was most impressive. Rock on, John Henry!

bigmack
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/seabiscuit/gallery/images/seabiscuit_09.jpg

(From the art below)

"The first time I met him, he looked at me with a hard stare and said 'I can beat you every day of the week,"' said McClurkin, who planned to be at John Henry's birthday party on Friday. "He's still the king."

A king who will celebrate another milestone with birthday cards from all over the world taped to his stall. One card from a fan in Canada reads, "You truly are one of a kind, without a doubt."

"He still wants to be domineering," McCarron said. "He just doesn't have the energy to be that way because of his age, but the spark is still there. It's just that the spark plug is getting weak."

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=37911

Tom
03-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I saw a replay of a SA dirt races by the Great One on TVG last weekend-he was truly a champion.

46zilzal
03-09-2007, 04:04 PM
His MAIDEN win

Premier Turf Club
03-09-2007, 04:15 PM
God Bless the old boy.

I hope I'm still full of piss and vinegar at 96 (his equivalent human age).

46zilzal
03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
In the great book The Golden Post Partick Robinson goes on for over 200 pages describing the best bred runners from around the world, BUT sets forth this wonderful epilogue:

"There is in fact another route which may take you to fame and fotune in the world of the thoroughbred racehorse. On the opposite page is a picture by Richard Stone Reeves of the grumpy little gelding John Henry, shortly before he set off to win the inagural Arlington Million. By the end of 1984, he had won for his owners, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Rubin of New York, well over $6 million - which reflected very favorable on the $1,100 he had once cost as a yearling. Those wishing to take this less arduous and less expensive route to the pinnacle of horse racing success should avoid the major summer yearling sales. They should ignore also all of the of the previous 210 pages of this book."

ranchwest
03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Greatness. My favorite horse (followed closely by a short list).

DanG
03-09-2007, 06:43 PM
He was ALWAYS mean as hell… :mad:

As nasty and game as any horse who ever looked through a bridle. When in a duel old John always threatened to take it into the parking lot. :ThmbUp: