PDA

View Full Version : Need a Router With Wireless?

Pace Cap'n
03-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Was recently given (yes, given) a laptop, and after spending a month getting rid of all the (teenager's) junk on it, got it setup for wireless.

I ordered a "2Wire Wireless Gateway" from my ISP, (AT&T, DSL) and during installation I removed my D-Link router and set it aside.

Supposedly the new 2Wire includes a router.

Should I have or could I have retained the D-Link? Can one piggyback routers?

My computer and I have felt very secure hiding behind the D-Link.

BillW
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
The 2-wire does the same firewall function and should be more than adequate. It has an html setup that you use your browser to access. Type "http://homeportal/setup" into your browser URL field and go from there. I forget the specifics as it's been a year or so since I've set one up (it wasn't mine, so I don't have it here to look at).

Tom
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I know there is something you can hook into a hard wire router that is a wireless port so you can have one cumputer wireless and the rest wired, but I can't remember what it is called - anyone know?

BTW, Monroe county is going free wifi - rolling out in steps, but eventually (this year) all will be free, as a business enticement. Canandaigua, where I live (Ontario county) has similar plans. Life is good. Free internet.

Pace Cap'n
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Bill.

I have it set up and running fine. I just wanted to make sure I had at least the same level of protection as before.

BillW
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Tom,

This box allows both wired and wireless access. No further devices are needed.