PDA

View Full Version : Software with good MLs or power ratings?

Holy Bull
11-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi,

First off, I'm new here to this forum. I'm from Arcadia, CA and have been playing horses seriously and writing horse racing software for a few years now. My main areas of study/expertise? have been betting algorithms/optimum betting strategy, betting line generation, toteboard analysis, and automated bet generation and write a home grown software that sort of puts all of these together.

Don't have much experience with straight handicapping softwares in the past so would appreciate any suggestions you guys might have. What I am looking for is a handicapping software that can embelish the quality of my lines for races. Either one that puts out a solid line of its own, or probably more likely, a software that comes up with good power ratings/total pace ratings that I can fuse into my line. Not so much power ratings that get longshots on top or anything and even the ROI for the top horse isn't as important for what I'm trying to do in general. More important is for the ratings to have an accurate reflection of difference between horses from top to bottom and a consistant scale of ratings. This is so I can run a simulate on the #'s and get a intelligable result.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

GR1@HTR
11-08-2002, 08:47 PM
A programmers dream. Comes w/ an comma deliniated export to test data via dB of your choice.

http://www.homebased2.com/km

levinmpa
11-21-2002, 04:41 PM
HTR is awesome. I've only been using it for a few months, but it's a godsend for me. The fact that I can export the data from the various programs into an Access database saves me dozens of hours. If I want to check on the performance of an angle or a combination of factors at a specific track or all tracks, at whatever distance, surface, racetype, etc., I can do in minutes what would take many hours.

I've always liked pace handicapping and this program is the best for Brohamer style velocity ratings. There are so many different types of ratings in the programs that any type of handicapper will benefit. At $119 per month for unlimited downloads, it's a bargain. Heck, it's cheaper than buying the form everyday.

It includes:
Past Performances in a variety of formats.
Trainer ratings
Jockey ratings
Pace figures in several different formats
Speed figures in several different formats
Par figures
Several different paceline selection modes.
Downloadable results and charts to use in exporting data.
Downloadable trainer stats for every track every day.
And much more.

Give it a try. Ken gave me a free one week trial with full access to unlimited downloads. I wouldn't use anything else at this point.

http://www.homebased2.com/km/

Good luck.

Derek2U
11-21-2002, 06:39 PM
Don't you go number crazy trying to unravel all those different
measures? I ran into a pal one night at the Meadowlands and
I said ... hey how doin tonight ... and he said great look at this
sheet I bought ... all I saw was like 23 numbers per horse and
I got kinda dizzy .. whew anybody who even reads all that
should get a truck load of bobble-heads.

levinmpa
11-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Just remember back to the first time you saw a Racing Form. I'm sure you were thinking "what do all those numbers mean"? Once you use it for a while, ask questions and read, it's no different.

hurrikane
11-22-2002, 10:06 AM
levinmpa
you forgot to mention all the free advice from all those guys who seem to own the tourney circuit these days. If it wasn't for them I'd feel like Derek2U.

Derek2U
11-22-2002, 11:20 PM
A consistent measurement scale? A number that really separates
some quality? Did you just take a test & measurement course?
It's a pipe dream because its what MUST be done & no, no
author or researcher in racing does: define his construct ...
test his measures ... validate. Maybe YOU will the first to do so.
Email if so.

Holy Bull
11-23-2002, 05:24 AM
Derek:

Most of the programs I've looked at try to be all things to all people and not one thing to all people, This is not necessarily
a bad thing, it just makes evaluation
very difficult. A simple speed figure as cliche they are at this point is ideal because it clearly defines its scale and makes it real easy to normalize and work with from my point of view. What I'll probably do is try to develop my own rating by weighting a series of factors in a way to where it might actually fit into a meaningfull scale.

I hope what I want to do is not a pipe dream, but I really don't know.

Derek2U
11-23-2002, 08:20 AM
No, HB, that's a good & wise approach and I really think is not
reflected in M(any) software products I have seen.