PDA

View Full Version : Off The Turf

Premier Turf Club
02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
From Beyer Article.

This is a terrific idea, It's easy to bash NYRA, its nice to see someone step-up and give them credit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022702126.html

When horseplayers handicapped the maiden fillies in Monday's ninth race (at GP), most were looking either for runners with established turf form or ones who hadn't raced on grass but had the pedigree to do so. Their records on the dirt were of secondary importance. But when the race was taken off the grass, all of this handicapping logic was turned upside down.

However, bettors who played the pick four and pick six were stuck with the selections they had made for a turf race. The morning-line favorite, turf-loving Missy Moss, was scratched, and under the rules of these wagers, bettors got the post-time favorite in her place; the favorite finished second to Aphrodisiac. Horseplayers may calmly accept the fact that fate will usually be cruel, but they will be enraged by losing a bet this way, because there is an easy and fair way for tracks to deal with these last-minute turf-to-dirt switches.

The New York Racing Association last year adopted what ought to be a universal rule governing such situations. When a race is taken off the turf after betting has closed in a pick four or pick six, that race is treated as no contest for the purpose of these wagers. Every horse in the field is considered a winner. Under the NYRA rules, anyone who picked the first three winners in Gulfstream's pick four would have cashed a winning ticket.

"This is a fairness issue," said Bill Nader, chief operation officer of NYRA. "When a race comes off the turf, the whole complexion of the race changes. It's a different event. We did this to protect bettors and for the sake of integrity."

boomman
02-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Ian: I posted on another site my agreement with this rule change that reminded me of when California changed the pick 6 rules to allow the bettor to select an alternate horse to be used instead of being stuck with the post time favorite if there was a late scratch...Hopefully this is the tip of the iceberg and other states will understand the need to institute this rule change and show they are changing attitudes towards catering to the person who pays their bills:

THE PLAYER

Boomer

point given
03-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Ian: I posted on another site my agreement with this rule change that reminded me of when California changed the pick 6 rules to allow the bettor to select an alternate horse to be used instead of being stuck with the post time favorite if there was a late scratch...Hopefully this is the tip of the iceberg and other states will understand the need to institute this rule change and show they are changing attitudes towards catering to the person who pays their bills:

THE PLAYER
Boomer

With all the technology going on today, one would think that the racing establishment could think of a way to include alternate selections in case of a scratch for P4 and P6 bets instead of defacto giving the player the favorite. Wouldn't you think ?

As far as the P3 goes, NYRA got it right and it should be instituted at all American tracks. Tracks also have the responsibility to their customers, to provide both on their websites (in print) and by track announcer, the ramifications of the late scratch ( ala Tom Durkin at NYRA). Track tellers most often donot know the rules, since different states have different rules. What happens if the scratch occurs in the 1st, 2nd , or 3rd leg ? Tell us ! I recently had a situation at Tampa where I didnot know if I was alive and had to wait for the results on my computer, I couldnot cancel the wager and I made a few bets as insurance, but alas , I got a refund and was not live in that p3. In the Gulfstream case, I was live to 3 in the "off the turf" race, 1 was scratched for a conso and the other two came in 1,2 . But I was ticked off that they didnot take the 9th race from turf during the 7th race post parade when it was pouring, instead of waiting until all bets were in for the late p3 and then announcing it.