PDA

View Full Version : Freeware

BIG RED
02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
This is a simple question. Does freeware tools protect you?

For instance, take adaware & AVG. I know both will find what they are suppose to, and solve the problems or tell you what to do to get rid of them. So, as a tool, they are good 'for the price'

Now, do they stop spyware and viruses from getting into your computer? Or is it they do that when you upgrade? (as in pay for it). I've always had an anti-virus you pay for protection ( Norton and now McAfee ) Not that I'm changing anything, always wonder if it is actual free protection.

Zaf
02-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I have been using programs like C Cleaner, AVG anti-virus, SpyBot, & Windows Defender for quite some time now and have had no problems.

Z

Red Knave
02-28-2007, 01:02 PM
The freeware tools you list do, in fact, do the job they say. The paid versions add extra value (usually, anyway :) ). Typically updates are more regular and timely and often even automated and there are more user tools or functions available.

Anyone using a computer connected to the internet needs some level of protection from virii etc. For these free products, the best advice is to keep them up to date and you'll probably be okay.

BIG RED
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
OK, so they do protect. Got my answer, thanks. You pay just to be lazy, :)

robert99
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
None of the products free or paid actually stop all malware getting on to your PC. They might prevent the majority of known issues but the subject is ever more a battle of wits. Some of the paid ones may be 10% better, or worse, than the free.

Red Knave
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
You pay just to be lazy, :)No. (Even though I am lazy ;) )
I pay because it's my business to write and distribute software and I need to be as sure as I can be that I'm not infected myself and that the software I distribute is also not infected. It's partly a CYA situation and partly paranoia. It's my opinion that the virus checking/firewall/malware fixing software that I use is better than any free software. It's easier to keep it up to date and it gives me an out if anything does happen. I can say that I am professionally protected and that's all a prudent person should reasonably expect.
OTOH, if I was not in this business, I would probably use freeware.

BIG RED
03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
That response wasn't directed at you Red. 'You' was in the plural sense :)

Still got the answer! There's one friend of mine who is fairly new to being on line and uses nothing but freeware, and has had only one problem in about a year and half. Who knows where he surfs to!

Hammerhead
03-02-2007, 07:01 AM
All I use is freeware for a long time on several computers and no problems here. Unless you call Bad Cappin a problem. :D