PDA

View Full Version : Any Philly Residents? Need Info,,,...on move

JustRalph
02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Hey guys........and Gals.

My wife has been offered a job in Philadelphia (325 N. Columbus Blvd.,
Pier 19 North ) which looks like it is right downtown to me?

It is a very good opportunity and very high profile, involves a negotiated raise (we are still talking) and a home buyout etc............. which means it could be very lucrative. Considering I have been trying to sell my 2nd house for 18 months or more.........it could be a very nice deal. On both houses.

I know not a damn thing about Philly or the surrounding area. We are a half hour south of cleveland now and are pretty bored with it.

Anybody in the philly area want to chime in? Home prices? etc..........????

Job market for me? A mid level management type ? I am not fond of big cities but when the money is right............you never know.........we are very seriously considering this.........any info would be appreciated.

bigmack
02-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Change is good.

She's right on top of a Hibachi Japanese Steak House, Dave & Buster's & Mrs Edythe Secouler Tavern & the famed coffeehouse "The Wrap Shack". Up the street is Independence National Park, Franklin Square & Washington Square

Home prices: http://www.zillow.com/

As for work - A chum approached me with a side business idea a couple of years ago - Retro-fitting T12 florescent lamps for commercial businesses to T8's. They use 1/2 the amount of energy and you get paid by the local power company so it's free to the businesses. Last year we did $4mil, helped the enviornment & saved a pile of businesses on their energy costs. Check with the local PowCo Ralph according to my stats approx. 62% of commercial businesses still use T12's in Phile. The market is huge.

melman
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
I would say the job market for you would be between good and very good. A lot of the good jobs are located in the Northern and Western suburbs but it's an easy commute. If you or your wife are OK with riding a train it's the way to go. Or if you prefer there is always "condo" living in Center City. Philly has inter city problems same as most big cities. Many people who work in downtown area also live in South Jersey and commute. As for me I think North Wales, Pa is great and I can let you have a bargain on my house. :jump: Not a bad area to live JR in the winter a short drive to the Pocono's and in the summer a short drive to the Jersey shore. If you do make the move just remember to say "Yo" a lot. :)

melman
02-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Also Ralph I would say the two "hot" areas are just off route 463 in the Limerick are, lots of new business and new homes. The other being just off route 202 in the Great Valley area. I would say both of those are about a 45 minute drive into Center City. Prices would be higher in those areas because a lot of the homes are new or almost new.

skate
02-27-2007, 07:27 PM
my first thought, your kidding.

i still think you are kidding.

hey, im not sure what you are looking for, but Shacker Heights aint here.
young couple, nite clubing might work in that area. you gotta carry.

its been so long since ive really spent time there, ive never heard of Columbus Blvd.
but you are in a new area, re-built and in a city that went from 2 million to 1.5 million. crime rate is not getting any lower lately.

over built condos and a city wage tax is what i see.

now if you get yourself into the suburbs Montgomery and Bucks county, fine.

i still think your Kidding.

the skate dont Kid, but tries to make things simple.

good job with a train commute, maybe. a toss between Karachi and Phila.

Tom
02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Pennsylvania needs a few more "red" votes.
Go for it.
:jump:

JustRalph
02-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Thanks guys........... the negotiations continue.........early still.......but we are talking............I really appreciate it

JustRalph
06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
No Money.........No Move!!

They decided they didn't want to meet our price.

I am looking West Again.......probably not for another year though.........

Thanks to everyone who PM'ed with Info and offers of help.

ralph

Buckeye
06-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Bring back Rizzo if only if move to Philly.

At least it's "the cradle of liberty" so you have my vote.

We'd love to have you Ralph even though you're not a Mexican. :cool:

Buckeye
06-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Their loss.

Hope things change and you come here after all.

Buckeye
06-02-2007, 06:53 PM
if we could bring back Rizzo move to Philly.

At least it's "the cradle of liberty"

you have my vote.

We'd love to have you Ralph even though you're not a Mexican. :cool:

Specin the deuch?

The English language actually came from German.

Currently, there are 7 Billion people on Earth who actually came from the same 1000 people who survived the super volcanic event 71,000 years ago.

Look it up.

Philly is a great town and could in fact be the greatest town to live in.

Go Flyers. Seriously, Ben Franklin the Contenental Congress etc.

GaryG
06-02-2007, 07:39 PM
No Money.........No Move!!

They decided they didn't want to meet our price.

I am looking West Again.......probably not for another year though.........

Thanks to everyone who PM'ed with Info and offers of help.

ralphYou are always welcome down this way Ralph...love to have you.

JustRalph
06-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Gary, that is an option that has been discussed...........and is on the radar. I have some Kin down that way and we passed up Nashville this year too. But for business reasons..........not the area. Looking at Lexington and Tenn. It will definitely be in the mix. Thanks!

GaryG
06-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Bristol is walking distance, Charlotte is less than 3 hrs. Atlanta is about 4 hrs. Martinsville is doable as well.

JustRalph
06-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Anybody from the Charlotte North Carolina area care to chime in?

Wife has a chance to move to Concord North Carolina ............in her job.

we are seriously considering this one........without any cash problems with the company etc.............just a swap of jobs........no pay loss or increase etc............

I am telling you, Charlotte is sounding pretty good compared to Cleveland right now............any comments welcomed

skate
06-26-2007, 05:57 PM
charlotte and concord are very different.

concord has you up in the klan area:eek:

wonatthewire1
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
no racing in NC either - and crossing the border to SC offers no relief.
Can't bet with anybody either over the internet
Raleigh and Greensboro are about an hr drive to the VA border where there is OTB (Colonial Downs product) - these are in the middle of nowhere about 8 miles above the border - doable but a pain

Charlotte is very nice otherwise, my in-laws live a bit east of there in Pine Hearst (US Open golf courses) and they are about 2 hrs from Charlotte and 1.5 from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill