PDA

View Full Version : Where do you suppose THIS is going?

Dave Schwartz
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/02/27/china.pigeon.reut/index.html

Chinese scientists command pigeons via remote control

Steve 'StatMan'
02-27-2007, 11:39 AM
This'll go everywhere a pigeon will go. In other words, everywhere. And can be as effective as anything that could be attached to the leg of a pigeon. Makes one wonder. I've not been able to look at airplanes the same way since 9/11/2001. Hope I don't end up with the similar thoughts to those damn pigeons that scavange at the track, under the bridges, and infest the downtowns of many U.S. cities, including Chicago. Like rats with wings only friendlier and non-threatening. (But you can tell when they keep perking at the ground and bobble-walk within 2 feet of you that they want a french fry or a piece of your burger bun.)

Greyfox
02-27-2007, 11:44 AM
It has serious implications beyond pigeons. 100 years from now babies could be implanted with similar mechanisms. It would make great mind control for an army of 20 or 30 million.

DJofSD
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Sounds to me like the basis of a story line for either 24 or Numb3rs.

On a more serious note, how about a means to disable jet fighters? Send in a flock to disrupt fighters during take off? What's pigeon for Tora! Tora! Tora!?

Dan Montilion
02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Yes we deliver...

Steve 'StatMan'
02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Might be less expensive that those radio-controlled drone planes we use.

I've wondered why we don't strap grenades to radio-controlled cars and drive them into buildings/areas that are being sweeped. Of course, the answer is to protect not harm the supposed innocents among the enemy. But that's pretty much costing 'victory', vs. people who have no problems harming innocent civilians, we see dozens being killed by them in bombings every day, and they go back to hide among the 'innocent' for another day to kill and maim a few of our troops and many more 'innocents' among their 'foes' again.

JustRalph
02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't think it would be much threat..........now, install it in an Elephant? now we got a problem..................

But as long as they are using pigeons.........we can issue shotguns..... :lol:

Greyfox
02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I've seen flying elephants. But this isn't about pigeons, mice or flying dumbos. It's about the interface between artificial intelligence taking over the behavior of biological intelligence.
Today, they are using a "chip" to alter a pigeon's behavior.
In the hands of a totalitarian state, that "chip," perhaps only several molecules in size, could be developed to control class structures, servitudes, slavery, criminals, dronism, army's and so on for large populations.
It's not that science hasn't been onto this for over 50 years. We've all seen footage of the "raging Bull" with electrodes in it's brain that has settled like a quiet kitten upon stimulation.
The danger now though is the ability to construct more complicated programs and put them on smaller and smaller surfaces. Pigeons today. People tomorrow.
A very dangerous area of research that needs to be monitored closely.
Unfortunately, our ability to develop ethical guidelines in these matters is lagging behind our ability, as a human race, to keep pace with the technological breakthroughs that are allowing this to happen.

Tom
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm buying a HAT! :eek:

Secretariat
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I've seen flying elephants. But this isn't about pigeons, mice or flying dumbos. It's about the interface between artificial intelligence taking over the behavior of biological intelligence.
Today, they are using a "chip" to alter a pigeon's behavior.
In the hands of a totalitarian state, that "chip," perhaps only several molecules in size, could be developed to control class structures, servitudes, slavery, criminals, dronism, army's and so on for large populations.
It's not that science hasn't been onto this for over 50 years. We've all seen footage of the "raging Bull" with electrodes in it's brain that has settled like a quiet kitten upon stimulation.
The danger now though is the ability to construct more complicated programs and put them on smaller and smaller surfaces. Pigeons today. People tomorrow.
A very dangerous area of research that needs to be monitored closely.
Unfortunately, our ability to develop ethical guidelines in these matters is lagging behind our ability, as a human race, to keep pace with the technological breakthroughs that are allowing this to happen.

Imagine what Joe Stalin would do with this. Place one of these in every soldier. Orwellian...Frightening stuff.

Think about terrorists in the future with this kind of thing.

fast4522
05-11-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm buying a HAT! :eek:

Iran's buying drones.

Iran says it has built copy of captured American drone, will take it on test flight

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05/11/iran-says-it-has-built-copy-captured-american-drone-will-take-it-on-test-flight/

lamboguy
05-11-2014, 07:31 PM
in prisons, inmates were able to receive contraband delivered to them with pigeon's.