PDA

View Full Version : big m slow 2nd 1/4 s

badbert
02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Was just going over the charts of my last couple of bad bets , 2nd race friday the 2nd 1/4 went in 30.3.
1st race on saturday the 2nd 1/4 went in 30.0
even the Aquarius final, the 2nd 1/4 was 30.2
This is with little or no wind . Any reason:confused: :bang: :cool:

Sinner369
02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
A horse needs a breather where in the mile. In harness its typically the 2nd Quarter. If no one pushes you, the slower the better!

badbert
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I know what you mean by the driver trying to rate the pace, but in a few races recently the 2nd 1/4 have been more like a low level off track 1/2 mile trot race, not a fast, mile track pace race.In alot of big m races if you can get away with a low 29. and change in the 2nd 1/4 youre walking on the front, but when you can put up a 30.0 0r 30. and change I just was wondering what is going on here .thanks for posting, :cool:

ELA
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I agree with you. Mile track racing has been evolving for years, which in part is why they are so uncommon. Many of the new tracks that have been built/rebuilt in the past 10 years, maybe 20, have been more of a hybrid. It's not your old fashion 1/2 mile, then 5/8ths, and the monster 1 mile track racing any more.

What I see developing in harness racing is that while post position is far less a factor on the mile track, the first 1/4 to 3/8 is in fact (along with the last 1/4 down to the last 1/8) becoming more of a factor. I used to see this in baby and 2yo races all the time -- sprint to the 1/4, back down the 2nd 1/4 (to the half), pick it up in the 3rd 1/4 (and rely on the horse first over to die and back up in the face of the horse who is 2/0), and then sprint home. Yes, this is oversimplified a bit, but I am seeing more and more slower 2nd 1/4's as well (overall, not as much in the high-class conditions).

A horse can make his "make up ground move" (as long as he has live cover) in the second 1/4 and get closer. If he is on the outside (and rolling) from the 5/8ths to the 3/4 pole, he is really within striking distance. I think in order to take away that slow 2nd 1/4, they need to pick up the tempo in the 3rd so that the leader can't steal the race on the front end. What are you going to do coming from off the pace -- come home in 24? LOL.

The stretch at the Big M . . . is the Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Eric