PDA

View Full Version : How do they know it's Jesus?

dav4463
02-26-2007, 05:14 AM
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/25/tomb_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070225073000

seems pretty far out there to me......but I'm not that smart, so what do I know? what do you think about this story?

betchatoo
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
They're trying to get viewers. They figure a controversy will draw. Even if it's from people who label them as blasphemers.

OTM Al
02-26-2007, 09:36 AM
It is an interesting story. Here is an experpt from a book about it

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/JESUS_DYNASTY.pdf

Secretariat
02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
It is an interesting story OTM. Appears that the DNA use was for identifying the varying relationships among the bodies. The statistician was used to estimate the chances fo these names all being in the same tomb (600/1) according to the article. The reference to the excluded from the Bible Acts of Phillip were interesting in terms of the Mary Magdalene sect. Deosn't cost anything to really watch on the discovery channel, so I'll take a look.

kenwoodallpromos
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM
"Founded around 3000 BCE, the Old City of Jerusalem is divided into Muslim, Christian, Jewish, and Armenian quarters. At the time of Jesus, the city had an estimated population of 80,000 (Time Magazine)."
____
Where is the reference that says any of Jesus' family lived, died, or was buried near Jerusalem?
Why is Joseph- Jesus the only 2 sets of bones in the place that are labeled as related?

Tom
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh my GAWD!
I hope they don't let the nitwit judge who handled the Anna Nicole case preside over this one!

" *sob sob* I want him *sob sob* to sit at the right hand of God! *sob sob*!"

BTW, ZaZa's husband claims to be the boy's father.:eek:

fergie
02-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Looks like its going to be another round of "sensitivity training" for you pal. All the other times you took it must have worn off. Seriously though, it was a hoot to see a judge cry---after all, they are usually the ones dealing out the misery.
Fergie

OTM Al
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Only in America can we turn what could be an interesting scientific debate (though I have real doubts after reading up a little more) into a discussion of a tabloid trash queen......

As to Kens question, tradition holds that Mary lived out her years in Jerusalem. Came across that as I was reading up on this find. It is noted in the link on my post.

Tom
02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
So where do they get Jesus's DNA?
From the Eucharist? :rolleyes:

Al - you have to laugh at this - it is either so stupid, it demands mocking, or if it is REAL, *gasp* live as we know it is over!:eek:

OTM Al
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't think it is real, but when it comes to biblical archaeology of the period, real isn't a very concrete thing. If we accept the modern bible's version of things, then Jesus's family would not have been wealthy enough to have such a tomb....but then again perhaps he had some wealthy benefactors. It is interesting because the timing is right and the names, if real, would be correct as well. The DNA testing was to determine the relationships of the people in the the tomb, not if Jesus was THE Jesus, or Yeshua ben Joseph as he would have been known.

The formation of Modern Christianity is a fascinating study. In the early days, it was not universally accepted Jesus was divine, nor even that the adherents of his preaching were something other than Jews. If you are interested in learning about it a good book (though can get a little dry) on the subject is here

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Christianity-Generations-Visionaries-Storytellers/dp/0060816104/sr=1-1/qid=1172587370/ref=sr_1_1/104-9393832-6119141?ie=UTF8&s=books

Why I don't really think this is all that's being made of it is the fact that the tomb was found in 1980. If scholars thought that it really was the real thing, one would have to believe that there would have been an ongoing and raging debate since then, but in fact scholars have regarded it as little more than an interesting discovery of well perserved artifacts from a significant period of time. However, I do see it as an opportunity for people to go out and learn something. Question what this show is presenting and find out about the history of these people and this period.

Greyfox
02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
It's all about $$$. Dan Morgan got rich. These producers will too. But they won't get a nickel from me with this tabloid sensationalism. And the marketing during lent has been well timed. Historical revisionism is a best seller in this century.

Secretariat
02-27-2007, 01:57 PM
...or if it is REAL, *gasp* live as we know it is over!:eek:

Why would life be over if it was real?

OTM Al
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Do you mean Dan Brown? Got no idea who Dan Morgan is. But if you mean Brown, I thought the Da Vinci Code was fun. Its not history, its fiction. I have no problem with revisionism in history when the attempt is to truthfully attempt to better understand what happened at the time in question. If we want to turn our backs on the parts of history that aren't so palatable then we will never learn a thing from past events.

Like I said, I don't think this is for real but what if it was? Would the words of Jesus mean anything less to you if he were proven a mere man? Would it make what he did any less significant? Not to me. In a way it might even be more impressive.

Greyfox
02-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry about that. Dan Brown, is right. I was referring to the Da Vinci Code.
It's still about $$$$.

Tom
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Why would life be over if it was real?

The whole basis of my existence would be based on a flase premise. NOw, on the UP side, I would no longer be bound not to KILL people! :cool:heh,heh,heh.

OTM Al
02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Sorry Tom, that killing people thing goes back to Moses.....

linrom1
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Only in America can we turn what could be an interesting scientific debate (though I have real doubts after reading up a little more) into a discussion of a tabloid trash queen......

As to Kens question, tradition holds that Mary lived out her years in Jerusalem. Came across that as I was reading up on this find. It is noted in the link on my post.

Connecting the dots.....Anna Nicole was born in Texas and her mother wanted a traditionally burial in her ancestral home. A Jewish scholar says that since Jesus family was from Galilee, there is no way that he would be buried in Jerusalem.

Link (http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=/ForeignBureaus/archive/200702/FOR20070227b.html)

OTM Al
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Anybody watch it? I'd forgotten it was on until almost half way through. Watched the second half and the roundtable session afterwards. Mildly entertaining but really bad science. Show seemed to be structured much like any conspiracy theory show with the premise based on a house of cards, or big ifs as one of the commentators said.. Only thing I did agree with the director wholly on was the idea if it was just 50-50 he was right, shouldn't it be better investigated. I would take that to even one chance in 10 or 20. Those are pretty good odds when you would be considering the archeological find of the century could be the outcome. In the end though, nothing he said made me in anyway convinced his theory was true.

Hosshead
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
... If we accept the modern bible's version of things, then Jesus's family would not have been wealthy enough to have such a tomb....but then again perhaps he had some wealthy benefactors.
Jesus was from a wealthy family. His uncle was a shipping tycoon, an Aristotle Onassis of his time.
This gave him the ability to widely travel (for free).
But I agree that his tomb in that city is unlikely.

For a discovery that happened in 1980, it took James "I'm King of The World" Cameron to hype it, ...with the t.v show of course.
You would think that if this was the real McCoy, it would have had more scientific acceptance in 27 years.

But, they can make millions from just speculation and curiosity off of "scripts" that can't be proven.
All they have to do is throw the (controversial) bait out, get people talking, and reel in the money.