PDA

View Full Version : Systems and Methods Index by Sportstat

trying2win
11-06-2002, 12:39 AM
Has anyone got a copy of the booklet SYSTEMS AND METHODS INDEX by Sportstat, that they no longer need, and wish to sell?

I wanted to buy a copy of this booklet from Sportstat awhile ago, but apparently that company has gone out of business.

It would be interesting to see what kind of statistics that Sportstat came up with, in regards to some of those well-known hyped systems and methods you have read about in the marketplace, past and present.

I already have a copy of the "Top 52"' booklet by Len Czyzniejewski ( I have trouble pronouncing and spelling his name) which is, as you know or may not know is a review of 52 well-known systems and methods. The Systems and Methods Index booklet by Sportstat, would help me review some more systems and methods. The old line "investigate before you invest" is some wise advice I learned many years ago.

I have to give credit to the writer who does the promotional ads at the RPM website online. Just reading practically any advertisement for a system, method or software at that site, seems so enticing, it almost makes me believe that if I just send away for any one of them, apply the rules, then the profits will be begin to roll in!...right? I could become quite prosperous after awhile, couldn't I?

Actually, to be honest I have bought many systems and methods over the years from different places. Most of them turned out to be useless. But to be fair, I found the odd good one that had a fair amount of logic to them and were actually profitable at certain tracks, but not every track. The trick was in finding out which tracks they were profitable at. One of the of the methods that I thought was pretty good was one called "PROFITS FROM QUITTERS" (I changed some of the rules to reduce the amount and quality of plays, and it helped. The other method I thought was fairly good was the "LAS VEGAS SOCIAL SECURITY METHOD". I found The LVSSM to be a bit on the chalky side, but it snared the odd good price. The only problem with the LVSSM, was that it was too time-consuming to figure out the ratings for each horse and then finding out that in most races there was no play.

Confession: I got both the PRF and LVSSM methods from RPM in the past. So, RPM does have a number of good systems, methods and software in stock, I just don't know how many.

kitts
11-06-2002, 02:24 PM
I read that report from Sportstat and it did not support any method or system. If you want to read system reviews try the gambler's book club web site (I think it is gamblerbook.com)-they have a substantial collection of them.

trying2win
11-06-2002, 05:15 PM
Kitts:

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I'm not surprised then, by what you found by reading that Sportstat report.

I'm assuming that a systems reviewer would do something like the following hypothetical example:

1. Put the system rules through a database of let's say 5000 races, taking a sampling of different thoroughbred racetracks.

2. Comes up with a win %, average win price and plus or minus ROI.

Most system review books I've read (with the odd exception), have had mostly negative ROI results. And yet...I've found when you apply the rules ( or amend some of the rules yourself) of some logical-appearing systems and methods to certain tracks, sometimes the systems and methods will turn out to be profitable!

Probably some of the readers of this forum, will have noticed some trends and patterns at certain tracks and have developed their own profitable spot plays, tailor-made to that track.

There are a lots of generous readers at this forum willing to share some of their expertise on thoroughbred handicapping. I thank all of you for that. I've picked up some good ideas at this website myself, that I never thought of before.

Of course, I accept the fact that some handicappers are going to be a little selfish at times (and I don't blame them). If we have found a winning method, whether by a purchased system or software, or self-developed method through study and practice, I think a lot of the winning handicappers don't want to reveal too much, because it would only lower their own price (especially if it's a longer price-getting method). After all, we're competing against our fellow bettors, while trying to make a profit, whether it's readers of this forum or the general racing public.

Would like to hear other handicappers thoughts on this theme. Or maybe some of the forum readers would like to tell some of their opinions, of some of the systems and methods of the well-known systems sellers.