PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Johnson Died

BIG RED
02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
I was shocked when a heard this today in Boston. D J Johnson, point guard for the old Celtics, collapsed and died today while coaching a practice session. This guy was a great guy and played on some of the best Celtic teams ever. Stand up guy, who always looked healthy as ever. I'm totally lost? Guess he may have had some type of siesure?

I'm saddened, very young, low 50's my guess.

JustRalph
02-23-2007, 01:17 AM
he was awesome. Loved the guy. He is famous for his defense and this play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8FiecBp_g&NR

Watch what happens after he makes the shot. He goes straight to playing defense.

This was an incredible play..............the guy was a great player with 3 Rings............

Hosshead
02-23-2007, 02:41 AM
Great Play ! Thanks for the link Ralph. D.J. was defense.
As I recall it was Isiah Thomas' inbound pass that Bird picked off.
That made me happy. I never was a Thomas fan.
Is Dennis Johnson in the HOF ?

JustRalph
02-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Great Play ! Thanks for the link Ralph. D.J. was defense.
As I recall it was Isiah Thomas' inbound pass that Bird picked off.
That made me happy. I never was a Thomas fan.
Is Dennis Johnson in the HOF ?

not yet. Been on the ballot though.........see here

http://www.hofmag.com/content/view/618/190/

cj
02-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Very sad news. I grew up a Bullets fan, and remember him from both the 78 and 79 championships, where they split titles.

Larry Bird says he was the best player with whom he ever played.

kingfin66
02-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Very sad news. I grew up a Bullets fan, and remember him from both the 78 and 79 championships, where they split titles.

Larry Bird says he was the best player with whom he ever played.

You probably liked him better in '78 when he was 0/14 from the field than in '79 when Seattle won the title. I was 13 in 1979 when Seattle won.

cj
02-24-2007, 04:42 AM
You probably liked him better in '78 when he was 0/14 from the field than in '79 when Seattle won the title. I was 13 in 1979 when Seattle won.

I was 12 in 79, so we're almost the same age, pops. :)

Hosshead
02-24-2007, 09:50 AM
not yet. Been on the ballot though.........see here

http://www.hofmag.com/content/view/618/190/After looking at that, I'd be very surprised if D.J. didn't make the HOF. In fact I'd be shocked.

kingfin66
02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I was 13 in 19...pops is right! I skipped school to go to the parade (went the prior year as well) and, of course, had my picture right on the front page of the Seattle-P.I. Good thing for me that my parents approved the skip.

It's sad to think with the recent memories of DJ and the '79 Sonics that they are very close to being but a memory in the great northwest.

kingfin66
02-24-2007, 12:53 PM
After looking at that, I'd be very surprised if D.J. didn't make the HOF. In fact I'd be shocked.

He only missed my 2 votes one year. I think the voters tend to look to too much at scoring. His career average was about 14 per game. All the talk about his defense and team play is spot on. The guy was a big, physical guard who could shoot a little, D-up, and even pass (look at his assist stats). The guy was a winner and definitely a HOFer in my humble opinion.