PDA

View Full Version : observations from my Gulfstream visit

1st time lasix
02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Arrived at GP Saturday morning way before first post time. My buddy and I could actually have been the first ones there. Spent two full days there. It seems to me that GP is just a wonderful facility for the horsemen. Great new stalls, nice surfaces and good walking ring and paddock area. Terrific! It also has some functunal design flaws for the patrons. It just "felt" to me that the on site fans where second fiddle to the simulcast watcher and the slot player. Every seat on the first floor "Silks" room was reserved and sold out upon our early arrival. We had to "goose" the bartender on that level $ twenty each for a seat and place to put our forms down there. {only six or seven seats at the bar...all reserved} It was very crowded Saturday and their were six deep lines at the tellers in there ....and four deep at ALL the betting machines. There was obvious frustration from shut outs from the wagering fans. Big difference from Saratoga or Arlington on Million weekend. They seem to take care of the betting public that is there in person much better. The outside walking ring is very nice but the crowds were pretty tough there as well. Fans like to see the horses. You couldn't get real close unless you cut in front of someone. When we first discovered that we were not going to get a seat in Silks I went upstairs to the second floor. There about half the room at GP is dedicated to the slots. The restaurant there with view of the track was also completely sold out with reservations. {Remember that we were the first ones there and i am not against slipping someone a tip.} No chance. At that point I went to the third floor clubhouse restaurant. I wasn't in formal attire so I asked a very helpful Maitre D {the first employee that seemed that way} for an inspection. He graciously showed me around. Very nice large room with full round bar, white table cloths and window seats. Made a reservation in there for Sunday afternoon right then. Didn't want to worry about standing the next six hour day. On Sunday early am.... I jogged over to the track from my motel early to watch the workouts and appreciate the entire facility while it was empty. Sat below the three DRF clocker there to listen to their comments and catch the names of the horses and trainers. Delightful even though the weather was less than ideal. That afternoon in our sports jackets we got a very nice window seat in the 3rd floor clubhouse. Home of the $24 tuna sandwich and $7 bottle of beer. That room was a bit disfunctional as well. No tv monitors on tables there so we had to cross the entire room to watch a simulcast race we had wagered on. Actually got shut out twice up there as well. Maybe that will teach me to be behind Hank Goldberg! ha! The last two races on the day in Miami I snuck over to the luxury suites. There they have two betting machines....two tv monitors and an outside balcony with cushion seats looking over the track from above. Very nice. Next time i will book a seat there. Understand you can rent them for the day. Might be worth it. Only problem is if someone in your party wants to go to the paddock area....it is three flights down. All in all I enjoyed the on site experience....but i am hoping someone in management makes it more visitor friendly in the future. Assume if I lived there and went there all the time....I would know the ropes a bit better and would find a area that fit my needs.

point given
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Friday, Feb.16,2007

Arrived at gulfstream on a blustery day of mid 50's with 20 mph winds and headed into the simulcast room. Seats were sold out and there was a crowd 3-4 deep behind the ropes standing . The south clubhouse room is empty and being refurbished (probably for more slots). We go upstairs to the Serenata room and it is closed. We go into the 10 palms restaurant and it is very crowded. We stand around and watch races on TVs. Go outside to view a few live races and cameback inside. Then we leave , disgusted with facility and the poor quality of races .

Saturday, Feb. 17, 2007

It gets worse, if that can be possible.

It's still chilly outside, but sunny. We get a table in the simulcast Serenata room. On the side walls , there a numerous 30-40 " flat screen tvs with numerous tracks running. On the big screens above the stage in the middle , they only show the gulfstream and Aqueduct signals. There are 3 more screens , which they are keeping black, so you can't follow the other tracks.

They put a flier on the table which states that we must vacate the table at 5:15 PM... A waitress comes by and tells us we must order something, there are people waiting and there are security people walking around.We order a drink. Around 3:45 the skinhead ,wiseguy manager of the room goes around announcing that this is the last race, and all have to vacate the tables. We point out the flier and tell him 5:15 is when we will leave,like the flier states. I let him have it stating loudly that " this is the Magna Hospitality of how you treat your customers ! " He backs off saying he is only preparing us to leave at 5:15. My buddy owns horses and has been in the game for 50 years and is an upbeat guy. He said he didnot feel comfortable there. I just talked to him today, monday and he said Sunday was worse than Saturday. H couldnot get a seat in the simulcast clubhouse, went back to the Serenata room, could not get a table but could only find a seat there. Then when he went to bet, someone stole his program from his seat. THIS, is the experience at gulfstream on days when the weather was coolish outside with wind. there simply is not enough room for horseplayers to comfortably be customers. The SOuth clubhouse , which was a simulcast area last year is closed during the prime racing meet. AT GULFSTREAM THE HORSE RACING CUSTOMER COMES LAST !
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_invisible.gif My take on GP and i have been there 10 times this meet. I try to only go on weekdays, but I did go on ""Donn Stakes day" on a Saturday as well. Saturdays are a killer on track, Sundays are a little better. The problem is the design is lousy for a combined track and slots facility. They need to 1. make the south clubhouse room a horseracing simulcast room again, as it originally was. 2. build a slots only addition to the south clubhouse, so that slots players don't get in the way of track patrons. Slots players wager very few dollars on racing and vice versa. The facility is dysfunctional when there is a crowd on weekends. Of course at the end of April, the slots players will have the place to themselves until next January. 3. Build a permanent grandstand in the northpark location of the facility , which would adjoin the North clubhouse with a first floor simulcast and/or poker room & bar (to replace the tent bar and junior highschool temp. stands )which can seat 400-500 people, (half that of the clubhouse seats). This would drastically improve things for all. The place, as it is now, is really turning off hard core ,long time racing fans

alysheba88
02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Ugh, only confirmed what I thought. What a nightmare

BIG RED
02-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the reviews guys, even if it they were not too positive. I would hate to travel from Boston to walk into that. Sounds like a big shout out before you go, like making reservations for everything, if possible.

karlskorner
02-20-2007, 08:17 PM
I have read both listors comments and the only conclusion I can come to, there too many damn people there, Mr. Stronach just didn't build it big enough to handle the crowds who came to see world class racing, Of course free parking and admission brings lots of people. They closed off the Senerata room early to make changes, they now have a section of this room for Group outing lunches, the other dining rooms just couldn't handle the crowds. The south building first floor will have an additional 1560 "slots" and poker room which means bigger purses and better class racing, all to the advantage of the punters. Thank G-d that Mr. Stroanch has the money requred, as it will probably cost another 100 million to bring it up to everbodys satisfaction.

I have been there every day of this years meet and never ran into the problems as stated above, there are at least 10 places on the first floor to do lunch, chicken, fish, pasta and the usualy hot dogs etc.( I found the Boston Clam Chowder ) the 2nd and 3rd floor resturants are strictly for the tourists. Mr. Stronach's people just didn't know that it would draw such crowds.

alysheba88
02-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Crowds? Are you kidding us?

You make it seem like track can comfortably hold what would be a real crowd.

What are the daily attendance figures and what is your estimate of horse players/slot players?

the little guy
02-20-2007, 10:10 PM
That was even a ridiculous post for you....which is saying QUITE a lot.

There are no actual " crowds " there. It's just that the place is so tiny that it can't accomodate even a meager gathering and with slot players getting preference over the horseplayers there is little to no place for us to go. Even the fans who actually want to see the racing there, which by the way is " world class " perhaps one day a week, can't be accomodated and have frankly stopped going.

And, just to clarify, there was a bigger and more fan friendly place there. Frank tore it down.

I understand, as has been stated before, why McSchell likes it, as apparently it accomodates the horsemen's needs well, but other than you there has been nary a positive feeling by anyone who has attended. You act as though we are somehow insulting your hospitality. We're not....I promise. We're simply telling the truth, and believe it or not, nobody is blaming you.

point given
02-20-2007, 10:57 PM
:liar: I have read both listors comments and the only conclusion I can come to, there too many damn people there, Mr. Stronach just didn't build it big enough to handle the crowds who came to see world class racing, Of course free parking and admission brings lots of people. They closed off the Senerata room early to make changes, they now have a section of this room for Group outing lunches, the other dining rooms just couldn't handle the crowds. The south building first floor will have an additional 1560 "slots" and poker room which means bigger purses and better class racing, all to the advantage of the punters. Thank G-d that Mr. Stroanch has the money requred, as it will probably cost another 100 million to bring it up to everbodys satisfaction.

I have been there every day of this years meet and never ran into the problems as stated above, there are at least 10 places on the first floor to do lunch, chicken, fish, pasta and the usualy hot dogs etc.( I found the Boston Clam Chowder ) the 2nd and 3rd floor resturants are strictly for the tourists. Mr. Stronach's people just didn't know that it would draw such crowds.

Even when I occasionally sit in the owner/trainer section of seats, the sight lines for watching the race are terrible with people standing on the staircase, the columns in the way etc. etc.People coming out of the restaurant and sitting in seats they don't have tickets to as well. Face it the place was ill designed . The facility is continually changing and repurposing the rooms around the place and it " is a work in progress " . The question is , " progressing to what ? " You can kiss Frank Stronachs ass as you usually do. The old Gulfstream was a racetrack, the new one is a slots parlor with restaurants with horses as a side show.

Indulto
02-20-2007, 11:04 PM
... Thank G-d that Mr. Stroanch has the money requred, as it will probably cost another 100 million to bring it up to everbodys satisfaction.KK,
Too bad that $100 million couldn't be used to rescue Hialeah.

As someone who I assume must have frequently attended Hialeah, what do you think of Derby Trail's suggestion on ATRAB that the Breeders' Cup be semi-permanently run there to ensure a world-class venue and good weather for the now multi-day event?

Richie
02-21-2007, 08:35 AM
wow, a sad, sad place. Been there many times pre-slots. Unfortunately, no desire to ever visit again. What a mess.

The Judge
02-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Never been to Gulfstream now it seems to late. When I go out of town I always make it point to visit the local track. Been to Miami at least twice neve made it to GP. Now I see there is a need for some urgency in caring out this mission I am going to have to visit the tracks and find some reason for going there. A reason I suppose going to the track is reason enough.

karlskorner
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Hialeah is history, barns are gone, Grandstand condemed, just a memory to all of us. Old is old, like a lot of tracks throughout the country. But then again the general attitude is what was good enough for my father/grandfather is good enough for me.

1st time lasix
02-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I love racing and I truly enjoy being "on site" but the ONLY way I would return to GP on Florida Derby Day, Donn Handicap or on Fountain of Youth Day would be WITH confirmed reservations in the luxury suites. Nothing less. Not enough room now for their racing patrons on regular weekends....can't imagine the "zoo" for a big day. They will never get the Breeder's Cup there again in my opinion if the Breeder's Cup board members access the crowd limitations. Really too bad with such good weather in November. It is too cold to hold it in NY/New Jersey then {imo} The architect/designer should give back his fee. He obviously never built it with a horse player in mind...that is for sure. As far as "a work in progress" goes".....show me! Only work I saw being done was a new slots room and poker room which cuts additional space away from 1st floor race fans. I don't think the mgt cares....certainly the snobby, rude "east coast" employees I encountered didn't. Word to the wise: A thoughtful serious player that wants to be comfortable {but doesn't want to ante up $ for a suite seat}should stay at his own facility or home computer. Wish it wasn't true.

karlskorner
02-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Don't know the man, never met him, but I like what he is trying to do. Why do you think every track in the country is fighting for "slots", it's the future for horseracing in this country.

tholl
02-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Don't know the man, never met him, but I like what he is trying to do. Why do you think every track in the country is fighting for "slots", it's the future for horseracing in this country.

Tracks that are "fighting for slots" are not doing it for the "future of horseracing"--most could not care less about anything other than lining their pockets.

Any tracks that care about the future of horseracing are aware that slots are not the longterm answer, just a temporary band aid. Indeed at Gulfstream, as someone said in this thread, horseracing is just going on in the background.

point given
02-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Tracks that are "fighting for slots" are not doing it for the "future of horseracing"--most could not care less about anything other than lining their pockets.

Any tracks that care about the future of horseracing are aware that slots are not the longterm answer, just a temporary band aid. Indeed at Gulfstream, as someone said in this thread, horseracing is just going on in the background.

You will never hear the roar of the crowd at Gulfstream , only way would be if they piped it in over the PA system ! Since few can see the actual horses running in the race with their own two eyes, the crowd is relegated to viewing the large video board in silence. They are effectivley simulcasting the live racing ontrack to the ontrack customers. Imagine going to a ballgame and only watching the large video jumbotron tv instead of seeing the live game in front of you being played. RAcing is headed to the ICU, after the band aid is removed, then the morgue.

DanG
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
They are effectivley simulcasting the live racing ontrack to the ontrack customers.
Well put and exactly the feeling I had last Saturday.

I’ve been to Gulfstream hundreds of times over the years and to say it’s anywhere near the plant it once was is borderline delusional. (In my humble opinion.)

Side note: My step daughter was with me and she hadn’t been to Gulfstream since it was renovated. Without anything more than the occasional subliminal message from me she said as we were leaving…”I liked it better last time.”. Now, that statement spoke volumes to me because she won!

karlskorner
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Nobody wants to accept that we as patrons of racing are on the bottom of the heap, always been that way, always will be that way. First comes the Track and it's owners looking for profit, than the horses owners, next the Trainers followed by the Jocks and last but not least comes the patrons.

Tracks, Owners, Trainers and Jocks come and go, but we as patrons will always be there, be it "live" or simulcast, they know it and there is little we can do to bring about change.

I had a nice day at GP, paid my usual $3.00 for a clubhouse seat and enjoyed every moment.

bobbyb
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Quote: Karlskormer: "I have read both listors comments and the only conclusion I can come to, there too many damn people there, Mr. Stronach just didn't build it big enough to handle the crowds who came to see world class racing"

You must be kidding........or kidding yourself when you say "world class racing"

bobbyb

DanG
02-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Tracks, Owners, Trainers and Jocks come and go, but we as patrons will always be there, be it "live" or simulcast, they know it and there is little we can do to bring about change.

That is precisely the attitude that keeps racing from a larger market share. It’s the same mentality they could overcome in the past when they had a gambling monopoly.

I’m not saying your wrong. You accurately described many current track operators. I do think you’ll agree it would be difficult to fund a business model which stated we will place our patrons needs last.

As far as “enjoying” the new Gulfstream?

If I had never been there before I would probably agree with you, but I have. I do admire your commitment to defend the changes, were just our on a different page.

All the best Karl.

Zman179
02-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Congratulations! This thread made the cover of Equidaily!

www.equidaily.com

point given
02-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Congratulations! This thread made the cover of Equidaily!

www.equidaily.com (http://www.equidaily.com)

Obviously an astute editor !

JustRalph
02-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Nobody wants to accept that we as patrons of racing are on the bottom of the heap,

ever been to Keeneland? I didn't feel that way at all.

Indulto
02-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Hialeah is history, barns are gone, Grandstand condemed, just a memory to all of us. Old is old, like a lot of tracks throughout the country. But then again the general attitude is what was good enough for my father/grandfather is good enough for me.What was a great place to be for both my father and for me at Saratoga is certainly good enough for me now, and obviously for many other horseplayers nationwide. Santa Anita has also not changed much since I first attended and is still impressive as a live racing venue. It’s also the best site for simulcast play that I’ve attended in California. So although I was not impressed with some of MEC’s initial physical changes there, I now attend there more frequently than Hollywood Park which is a shorter drive (on weekends) for me.

Hialeah is indeed in disrepair, but it triggers fond memories for almost everyone I’ve spoken to who has been there. I have only seen telecasts of racing there and movies filmed there, but from what I could tell it was beautiful, and certainly an ideal visual setting for home viewing.Nobody wants to accept that we as patrons of racing are on the bottom of the heap, always been that way, always will be that way. First comes the Track and it's owners looking for profit, than the horses owners, next the Trainers followed by the Jocks and last but not least comes the patrons.

I had a nice day at GP, paid my usual $3.00 for a clubhouse seat and enjoyed every moment. As another on-track attendee, I’m glad to hear that you are able to continue to enjoy the live racing there. I don’t discount either your accounts or the negative ones by others here. Obviously you have obtained (or learned how to obtain) access to areas favorable to the live racing enthusiast that they have not. I assume this access does not require one to be either an owner or one of his/her party. Casual and infrequent visitors should be grateful for their input since not being able to duplicate your experience can be very frustrating. I know because I observed first-hand Hollywood Park’s decline in on-track customer service following the addition of the Casino and then under CD management.

Perhaps GP will construct a simulcasting veneer surpassing Hialeah’s potential. Even now it’s likely that the Florida Derby will provide the pleasant visual experience of the Santa Anita Derby or the Bluegrass at KEE that the Wood Memorial at AQU cannot. Still crowds enhance even the home-viewing experience.

1st time lasix
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
ever been to Keeneland? I didn't feel that way at all. Keeneland and Del Mar are next on my list. They are the only ones left on my list of race tracks to visit in person. I have scratched off all the others now. The feeling at Saratoga is truly unique ......but the physical plant at Arlington is the best I have witnessed.

karlskorner
02-22-2007, 10:14 AM
There has been the general attitude by board members that I "kiss Mr. Stron ach's ass", hardly, I just admire the man who got off the boat in his yourth, didn't speak the language and became a Billionaire seveal times over, something damn few can accomplish.

Appreciate that I am in my 80's, go to the track everyday it's open, something damn few on this board can look forward to, I enjoy progress and change. Of course Mr. Stronach made mistakes, who hasn't, but give him the benefit of doubt, at least he is trying to further racing. The easiest way to get through life is adapt, something changes, adapt, don't be a thumb sucker and whine. As some know I lost a small part of my hearing on Okinawa, no problem, adapt. Couple years back some more of it went, even with VA hearing aids it's hard to carry on a conversation with the noise at the track, no problem, adapt. enjoy the future.

The Hawk
02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Karl, if you're in your 80's and still going to the track everyday, and you're proficient on the computer, you got us all beat.

karlskorner
02-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Just read a couple of articles over on Equidaily.com about Magna (Stronach) and what they plan for Santa Anita plus Stronach is borrowing another $500 million to put into racing. At age 75 Mr. Stronach has "balls", for sure he isn't a thumb sucker and whiner.

DanG
02-22-2007, 11:39 AM
As some know I lost a small part of my hearing on Okinawa, no problem, adapt.
Karl, a sincere thank you for your service to our country. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
02-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Just read a couple of articles over on Equidaily.com about Magna (Stronach) and what they plan for Santa Anita plus Stronach is borrowing another $500 million to put into racing. At age 75 Mr. Stronach has "balls", for sure he isn't a thumb sucker and whiner.

This money that you claim Frank Stronach is borrowing, just curious, is he in any way personally responsible for paying it back, or does that onus rest on his shareholders? From what I understand, he's good at manipulating " borrowing " between one of his divisions and another where the beneficiary is, shockingly, himself.

I didn't realize this had suddenly become an age issue. Would Frank's actions seem different to you if he was 45?

1st time lasix
02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Magna Entertainment Stock {MECA} is currently trading at $4.10. Down from a recent high of $7.04 when the announcement about slots in South Florida came out. Back in 01/02 it was above $9. They operate all para mutual operations and the tracks. Shareholders have experienced well below market average returns. Company has shown an operating loss the past five years. No dividend. :bang: Never been any real indication that management is too shareholder friendly. Assume Mr S is the majority shareholder. He obviously has other holdings as well.

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I think it says alot that even with slots becoming operational at Gulfstream, Magna stock continues it's slide into the abyss.

The stock market, as you know, is a discounting mechanism that looks months and even years into the future. If this is true in the case of Magna, excuse me while I shudder.....

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Of course Mr. Stronach made mistakes, who hasn't, but give him the benefit of doubt, at least he is trying to further racing.

Ah, but therein lies the rub. Many, if not most in this thread believe what Stronach has done with Gulfstream only furthers CASINOS and SLOTS, not racing.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Ah, but therein lies the rub. Many, if not most in this thread believe what Stronach has done with Gulfstream only furthers CASINOS and SLOTS, not racing.

I agree. One thing that made Gulfstream an attraction was that it was a great place for racing fans from the cold northen states to go on vacation and enjoy the great racing and beautiful weather outside. Most of what I read leads me to belive that the new facitiliy is geared for indoor activities, simiulcasts and casinos. Well, we already have simulcast centers where we live and many areas have casinos now. May make sense if they want the locals and tourists to play the slots there year round. But otherwise, why not just go to Las Vegas? Even Vegas will tell you their race books don't do anything near what their slots or most other games bring in.

Gulfstream may survive just fine as a new business/casino format, but it sounds like they removed/damaged many of the reasons cold-weather horseplayers of past seasons used to long for their racing vacation at Gulfstream.

The bigger questions are - will the large number of vacationing horseplayers still come, and with a casino, will it even matter anymore?

the little guy
02-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I agree. One thing that made Gulfstream an attraction was that it was a great place for racing fans from the cold northen states to go on vacation and enjoy the great racing and beautiful weather outside. Most of what I read leads me to belive that the new facitiliy is geared for indoor activities, simiulcasts and casinos. Well, we already have simulcast centers where we live and many areas have casinos now. May make sense if they want the locals and tourists to play the slots there year round. But otherwise, why not just go to Las Vegas? Even Vegas will tell you their race books don't do anything near what their slots or most other games bring in.

Couldn't agree more.

ELA
02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
There has been the general attitude by board members that I "kiss Mr. Stron ach's ass", hardly, I just admire the man who got off the boat in his yourth, didn't speak the language and became a Billionaire seveal times over, something damn few can accomplish.

Appreciate that I am in my 80's, go to the track everyday it's open, something damn few on this board can look forward to, I enjoy progress and change. Of course Mr. Stronach made mistakes, who hasn't, but give him the benefit of doubt, at least he is trying to further racing. The easiest way to get through life is adapt, something changes, adapt, don't be a thumb sucker and whine. As some know I lost a small part of my hearing on Okinawa, no problem, adapt. Couple years back some more of it went, even with VA hearing aids it's hard to carry on a conversation with the noise at the track, no problem, adapt. enjoy the future.

First of all -- thank you very much for that very nice post. You brought up many important things. Second, thank you even more for your military service. Third, you are right -- enjoy! And I would enjoy buying you a drink next time I am at Gulfstream. It would be my pleasure.

Eric

point given
02-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Gulfstream may survive just fine as a new business/casino format, but it sounds like they removed/damaged many of the reasons cold-weather horseplayers of past seasons used to long for their racing vacation at Gulfstream.

The bigger questions are - will the large number of vacationing horseplayers still come, and with a casino, will it even matter anymore?

I've heard that quite a few players are now going to Tampa Bay Downs instead of Gulfstream. Their racing while at a slightly lower level, usually has large fields and they don't allow computer robotic wagers in the pools. I believe they are doing pretty well growing their handle as well. A fair number of Calder trainers race there during the Gulfstream meet. I plan of going on over from the east coast for a couple of days as well.

PaceAdvantage
02-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Their racing while at a slightly lower level, usually has large fields and they don't allow computer robotic wagers in the pools.

Depends on what you mean by computer robotic wagers. I have a program that monitors pools and places bets for me if certain conditions are met....and I can bet into the Tampa pools without any restrictions whatsoever....

You must be talking about a different kind of "computer robotic wagering"....

Now, to get back on the topic of Gulfstream....

boomman
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Well a long day has come and gone with 9 races nestled in between a 5 hour drive (roundtrip) and I'd like to share with the board my opinions on "The New" Gulfstream....

1st the positives:
1) The facility is beautiful from the outside, and was very clean.
2) Our usher was Michael and he couldn't have been more friendly, leading us to our shaded table (that we only got because we went on a weekday) and attempting to keep people from standing on the steps and blocking our view during the races.
3) The food in the clubhouse buffet was very good
4) Met track announcer Larry Colmus, and he's a great guy!
5) The view of the Miami skyline is excellent
6) Simulcast theatre is small but very nice
7) Paddock area is beautiful and even has seating out there

Now for the negatives:
1) We probably had the worst waitress in the history of restaurants. No drinks, no silverware, could have cared less! Hurried one time: to bring us our check!
2) Everything I have been told about the seating (or lack thereof) is 100% correct! There are exactly 1000 seats in the grandstand. Where are the folks going to sit on Florida Derby Day? On the roof? And as for a Breeder's Cup ever being held there again? FORGET ABOUT IT!
3) Smallest tote board I have ever seen! I have 20/20 vision, had one of the few great seats available, and used my binoculars to see tote prices. I AM NOT KIDDING!
4) Although I guess there is a law that they can't have ATM's on site because of the casino, my buddy literally had to take a shuttle bus to go to an ATM at the far end of the parking lot! Again, NO KIDDING!
5) Program guy tried to overcharge me for forms and programs, and I'm not sure it was an accident!
6) PA system was scratchy and you could not hear anything!

I agree with Steve "StatMan" that this used to be a place for folks to go outside and enjoy some beautiful weather (which we had today), and some great winter racing but they have done their very best to eliminate that. For someone who loves horse racing as much as I do, what they've done to Gulfstream to take away from the beauty of watching horse racing up close and personal nearly brought tears to my eyes!:(

Boomer

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2007, 01:27 AM
For someone who loves horse racing as much as I do, what they've done to Gulfstream to take away from the beauty of watching horse racing up close and personal nearly brought tears to my eyes!:(

I guess that about says it all. I'm very sorry now that I never attended Gulfstream in its pre-Magna days.....

rrbauer
03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
What Greg (boomman) didn't mention was the great day we had at Tampa Bay on Tuesday even though he and his entourage had to leave early to make a birthday party that evening. A box seat right on the finish line (courtesy of Richard Grunder - Track Announcer), great weather and some nice cashes, including a 17-1 "almost" that ran 2nd but keyed a nice super to make up for the "almost" $1350+ P3 tickets that didn't get cashed. A single winning ticket ($26k) took down the P4 pool that day and I learned afterwards that a poster over at the Derby List had that ticket. That evening we (my group) went over to Clearwater and watched the Phillies win against the Reds.

Is this any way to spend a winter? :) :)

boomman
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
What Greg (boomman) didn't mention was the great day we had at Tampa Bay on Tuesday even though he and his entourage had to leave early to make a birthday party that evening. A box seat right on the finish line (courtesy of Richard Grunder - Track Announcer), great weather and some nice cashes, including a 17-1 "almost" that ran 2nd but keyed a nice super to make up for the "almost" $1350+ P3 tickets that didn't get cashed. A single winning ticket ($26k) took down the P4 pool that day and I learned afterwards that a poster over at the Derby List had that ticket. That evening we (my group) went over to Clearwater and watched the Phillies win against the Reds.

Is this any way to spend a winter? :) :)

Richard: It definitely IS the way to spend the winter, and I would also like to thank Richard Grunder for "rolling out the red carpet" for us like he always does. It was great meeting you as well, and let's do it again soon!

Boomer