PDA

View Full Version : going to Tampa Bay downs

cj's dad
02-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I'll be going to Tampa Bay Downs on the 16th of March thru the 18th. Any hints or do's and dont's regarding the area or the track, hotels,bars, etc...??

Thanks !!:ThmbUp:

BillW
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
No advice except have a good trip! Keep spring KEE on your calendar :cool:

boomman
02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
The Holiday Inn Express is within a close distance and offers a track rate at a decent discount, also the best place to sit is 2nd floor clubhouse, as it offers a good view of the track and easy access outside to the walking ring. The sandwiches, hot dogs, drinks, etc are reasonably priced, too! Have fun!

Boomer

joeparr
02-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I`m down there now. Check the flag for the wind it really blows hard here . Go to the club house at the bar there is a tall young guy. He gets info and gave me a good one. Next door to the track there is a fantastic driving range. play at the eagle golf course and Dunedin country club. Stay out of Hooters your too old..lol have a good time...joe

PS, and oh make sure you take Justin

Storm Cadet
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah...all of the above and use CJ's figs..have a good time!

Ron ;)

rrbauer
02-19-2007, 02:46 PM
In addition to Holiday Inn Express there's also a Hilton and a couple Marriott (Courtyard, Residence Inn) properties on Tampa Rd about a mile from track. In that same complex is an Applebees restaurant and up the street about 100 yds is Alberto's Italian restaurant whick I highly recommend. Agree about 2nd floor of clubhouse as the best place to hang out.

Valet parking is $2!

slihawk
02-19-2007, 07:26 PM
If it's a nice day try the picnic area which is located a little past the grandstand. There's no admission charge and you can bring a cooler with your favorite beverages!!!!!! They have ample TV's ,betting windows and SAM machines. It's located between the 1/8 and 1/16th pole and a couple of races a day they start right in front of you.....Have fun it's a great track!

John
02-20-2007, 09:17 AM
AHH,... My old stomping grounds.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

1st time lasix
02-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Deli sandwich place on first floor is good. Piled high and fresh. If the wind isn't blowing and it is a nice day to be out....2nd floor Left side near the 1/8 pole allows you to go to the paddock/walking rink {stairs right there} ...make your plays and enjoy the racing without too much effort. For die hard simulcaster...they have carrels with individual tv monitors and bigger screens on front wall in first floor clubhouse. Can always just walk outside from there twenty feet for the live Tampa race viewing just past finish line. Upstairs in clubhouse...it is glass enclosed. Nice little facility...not overwhelming crowds. Lots of hotels in Tampa area. They have a couple of Embassy Suites which i like.{a bit more room and breakfast} Good restaurants: Donatellos if you like Italian..... Burns Steak House, Shula Steak House. several seafood places. Ibor City if you like night life. Plenty of strip clubs if that is your fancy. Instead of staying in Tampa....remember that you are quite close to clearwater Beach. The track is actually located in Oldsmar....between Tampa and Clearwater.

xfile
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Keep your wallet in your front pocket.....practical advice :cool:

JimG
02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
AHH,... My old stomping grounds.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Mine too. A wonderful place to spend a nice day at the races.

Jim

Pell Mell
02-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Take the Causeway toward Clearwater and just before the bay, on the left, there is a turnoff for a place called the "Point". I think Boss Steinbrenner has an office there. Go all the way to the end of the road and you will find 2 great restaurants. One is called Crawdaddys and it's worth the trip to FL to get one of their prime ribs.

Be careful where you drive at night in Tampa and don't get involved in any traffic arguments. Have Fun!