PDA

View Full Version : Word Attachments and Outlook Glitch

Buzz
02-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Hi,

I have begun experiencing a problem with Outlook 2003 and SP2 security update.

I never had the problem prior to downloading some updates for XP Pro and Word 2003 about 3 weeks ago. I am using XP Pro with the SP2 Package and Office and Outlook 2003. I reinstalled Outlook yesterday but that did not fix the problem.

The Problem:

The scenario goes like this. I create a Word document and then send it to Outlook as an attachment to an email. I then go to Outlook and add some text in the Outlook message window and send it.

The result is that the email arrives with the attachment all ok but the text in the message is all blank. So as you can imagine I have confused many people who receive my emails.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem please let me know. I am out of solutions. :bang:

Thanks for your help.

Buzz

tupper
02-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Look at "Symptom 6" on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887797

Do you have HTML enabled in Outlook Express? Maybe something is inserting non-ASCII characters into your emails.

robert99
02-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Can also check if plain text (for sending email) is set in Outlook.
Save the email as a draft and check that text has appeared in the saved copy, before sending a test run. HTML is a security risk and is not accepted by some recipients.

michiken
02-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Coming from a large corporation where users regularly email word docs, excel spreadsheets and acad drawings, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. In my opinion, the core document should not be distributed so that others can edit it. Nor should they need proprietary software to view it.

For example, I recently did a job for a Chysler Paint shop. My purchasing agent gave the fabricator an acad drawing to quote and build from. I started getting a major amount of phone calls because of design problems. I found that the fabricator did not have the latest revision causing $$$$$ changes. From that point, I only issued pdf's to my purchasing agent - they were named like drawing1_rev1.dwg so that he could track revisions. This worked much better.

1. Email will work better when sent as plain text. Why not copy and paste your word doc into the email instead of sending it as an attachment? Here is an article by the famous 'Ask Leo':

Why Sending Word Documents in Emails is a Bad Idea (http://ask-leo.com/why_is_attaching_a_word_document_to_email_such_a_b ad_idea.html)

2. Sending pdf's is a much better alternative:

- Do not contain viruses.
- Do not require proprietary data.
- Less of a security risk.
- A read only format.

3. Download PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796&package_id=53473&release_id=442172)

a. This software allows you to print a pdf to file from any Windoz program.
b. It will retain all the formatting and creates a read only format.
c. The original document remains your property and can only be edited by you.
d. It works by intercepting the print spool.
e. Make sure to download the GPL_Ghostrscipt.exe version.
f. Above all, its FREE.

tupper
02-19-2007, 08:12 AM
These threads might give another solution:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?3,89861,89872#msg-89872
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/search.php?3,search=email+body+missing,page=1,matc h_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL,body=1,au thor=1,subject=1

Buzz
02-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone...lotz to check into.

"Why not copy and paste your word doc into the email instead of sending it as an attachment?"

When I paste a Word Doc into my mail program and send it the formatting always changes and if I include columns of numbers they are out of wack which scrambles the brain of anyone trying to read the doc.

This problem exisisted even before I did the "Update."

When I figure this all out I will be sure to let everyone know what the solution is. In the meantime if there are anymore suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again,

Buzz

Buzz
02-19-2007, 09:31 AM
One more piece to the puzzle...I am using AVG security software. I checked the AVG FAQ and they reported fixes for attachments that go astray but nothing for disappearing text.

Buzz

tupper
02-19-2007, 03:29 PM
One more piece to the puzzle...I am using AVG security software. I checked the AVG FAQ and they reported fixes for attachments that go astray but nothing for disappearing text.The last two links that I posted will take you to the AVG Free Forum.

When I paste a Word Doc into my mail program and send it the formatting always changes and if I include columns of numbers they are out of wack which scrambles the brain of anyone trying to read the doc.As a general rule for email, anything that has to be formatted should be sent as an attached file, and any text in the body of an email works better for everyone if it is unformatted text -- no HTML.

Buzz
02-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have not found the source of the glitch but did find a solution.

First a few comments.

I have in the past used and sent PDF files but had to drop the practice because most people I know (in horseracing) do not have the Adobe Read installed and don't know what it is. In a professional career oriented environment I would not hesitate to use PDF's for all the reasons that have been stated. I have and use AdobeCS2 so I am familar with the benefits and "Frenzied Fits" of Adobe products.

Just for the record I do not think that the AVG security software is the cause or is contributing to the cause of the problem. I spoke to the AVG folks and they seem to think that some Window's Security feature is at the root of the problem.

I found a workaround purely by accident. I now open Outlook, write my text and then Insert a file attachment.

Previously I opened Word and sent the document as an attachment to the Outlook program and then wrote my text in Outlook.

Thanks again everyone for your help,

Buzz